Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I am opening up a 18-24 months playgroup. Tips?
Previous  1  2  3

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:35 pm
I worked in a playgroup and all I can tell you is.

Make a general structure. From 9-10 free play. But quiet play. Some legislators some playdishes and a tape running in the background. You would do this for your kids too. If you can in a fun way sing some educational songs for them it's good. There are types of children that love to learn in a singing way. So sit down in a circle and just like any mother would sit down and spend quality time with their child and sing to them that is the idea.

You can sing short catchy songs that are calming or get them happy. You can dance with them. No harm. It would probably be good for you to watch a playgroup for a day to see ho wthey do it.

But see yourself as their mother figure. That's what I did. I hugged them all day. I gave treats and smiled a lot. Most of all love them and be very flexible.

We made lunch at 12 because some kids get up early. They wake up early. Oh toddlers.

And after that I closed the light obviously the light from outside made it not too dark. And I put them on mats to rest. For 30-60 minutes. Some fell asleep and some didn't. I put on a relaxing tape story or soft music and it was quiet. I did part every day. It gave them time to unwind.

I had my own time to eat and use the bathroom and recharge. And prep and clean from the mess from the morning.

Make the kids a easy way to cleanup.

Try to take them outside everyday. Even if it's only a short amount it's very good. Give them time to burn energy. Most of all keep an eye for safety.

We did write what they ate on a small note even though we spoke to the parents. Make sure you are super calm. If you will be nervous the kids pick it up and it becomes tense and it will not be good.

Remember they are kids and they do fight be kind and gentle. Tell them that a person you love you don't want to hurt. I obviously used my own words. In a kind and gentle way.

It takes a lot of experience to do this the right way, hatzlacha. If you have a passion for children and chinuch and human developement then you will love this without looking for return and what I mean is. When there is passion all issues fall away.

I know when a morah has passion. I can tell. It's what they love and when they speak about kids you see the spark in their eyes. They will go above and beyond the norm. Because it's not about the money it's because they love what they do. They are invested in it more then just a 9-5 job.

If this is who you are and you love this. Then go for it.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:38 pm
Oy I just realized this is 18 months. Please disregard giving them so much structure. Btw 18-24 is a big age gap. U cannot do the same stuff with 18and24 months!

This all wrote is for 24 months. The younger ones then that is strictly babysitting basically. They are much too young for structure.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:45 pm
Sounds like you need to get yourself some serious hours (volunteer if you can't find paid work) in a preschool or playgroup asap, so you can get some experience and a clue what's involved.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:04 pm
I realize I am on the overprotective side with these thing but honestly I would be very weary of sending to someone who this is their first year in a playgroup setting at all coming from an office job. An office job is very different from taking care of a bunch of toddlers. I would expect someone to be an assistant morah or at least substitute morah before becoming a "head" morah. I agree with olive oil that you would benefit from some hands on experience before doing this.

My kids barely talk at 18 months I would have to feel really secure about the morahs. No way no how would I send someplace that had that kind of ratio for that age.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:56 pm
Totally agree salmon amother. Too many kids for so little help. Btdt. It's a lot harder then you think op. Especially that it's not playgroup age it's really babysitting. It's a whole different ballgame. You can't approach it in the same way at all.

Playgroup usually starts at 24 months. Op if you wanto do playgroup, you need to start with that age. And you need someone in your place with experience.

I'm not the overprotective helicopter type, but this is way off. I hope she seriously thinks what she's doing. She will learn from experience. People today are very involved with the care they get for their kids so this will be a learning curve for her

sky

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:47 pm
If the OP is in Lakewood - few want to pay the tuition that it truly costs to run a playgroup (unless they are getting CHS).

So if someone opens a 18 - 24 month day care and charges the going rate (approx $220) for 9:30 - 2:00 and takes only 5 kids they are making about t$12 an hour before any expenses. That is why most groups are at least 10 kids per teacher - otherwise at the going tuition rate they wouldn't make anything.

I don't believe most people are willing to pay more for a smaller teacher to student ration. I"ve had the problem were my kids were the only ones at the babysitter as they got older because it was more money then sending to playgroup.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:49 pm
I am in lakewood

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:21 pm
sky- you are probably right but all I can say is that it makes me sad to think- yet another reason why lakewood wouldn't work for us. poor kids Sad

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 6:57 pm
so why don't the playgroup charge more? Or the daycare? Babysitters that you bring to their house is usually cheaper then someone coming to you realize house. But daycare house I see now, is too cheap. The price should really go up. They are being underpaid. In Brooklyn they charge way more.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 9:02 pm
Here's a tip:
Get an assistant, charge more, and look for ex-brooklyners who are willing to pay more.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 9:04 pm
( I'm an ex Brooklyner and have never paid less then 350/month. Also never sent anywhere without an assistant.)

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:09 pm
I agree with what everyone says about working in a playgroup to get experience. Being a morah is very different than being a mommy or working in an office.
Make a schedule that's flexible.
Plan the set up and layout. Where are they going to play? Where are they going to sleep? Where will they be changed? Where do the supplies go? Where do the dirty diapers go? Do you have toilet facilities- as the year goes on, these children may start being trained. How will you handle that? In thbe vmiddle of the year, some kids will give up their naps. You need somewhere for kids to play during naptime.
Will you take kids with allergies? How will you keep them safe?
All of this needs to be planned.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics