Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What car/van to get?

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:32 pm
I am not in the market yet for a 2nd car yet, but when I am what should I get? A minivan or a sedan? I am thinking a minivan as then I spend the money once on a 2nd car and don't have to worry about looking for a new car when we outgrow a sedan, but on the other hand, having a sedan right after passing my road test (yes, I don't drive yet tho I am working on my permit so I can have my license by the summer) will be better as its a smaller car for parking when in my area, half the year there is no parking in front of my building and we have no parking lot....

Or am I better off waiting on both for a year and rethinking?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:05 pm
How far are you from outgrowing a minivan? When you are on the market, can't you evaluate then?

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:00 pm
We are no where near outgrowing one as we only have 1 kid at the moment...

kb

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:07 pm
Minivans cost more.

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:09 pm
I know they cost more. Its a matter of paying more now or later and getting a small car now and a van in say 5 years from now..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:25 pm
Ok, so how about when you're ready for a second car if you're not expecting, go for a sedan. If you are, make a financial cheshbon how much extra the minivan would cost in payments and gas, and over the course of the next 3 years how much that totals.

Also keep in mind your lifestyle, even with 2 kids, a sedan can get tight when travelling with stuff. A double stroller also takes up room, etc

So you have to wait till you're ready to buy a second vehicle and see how imminently you feel like the car will get too full.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:25 pm
If you only have 1 kid I'd probably get the sedan now, especially if parking is difficult. As much as I love convenience and hate having to replace it down the line, in your case I'd save the money and parking headache and just start with the sedan, but make sure to get one that fits 3 carseats across the back.

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:27 pm
What sedan other than the Hyundai sonata fits 3 across? Or does it matter as to what car seats I have?

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:37 pm
Or am I better off getting a SUV?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:56 pm
SUV is also expensive, huge gas guzzler, not really friendly to put kids in (if you're talking about 7-8 seaters; if you're talking 5 seaters the only advantage is maybe a little more trunk space over a sedan).

Many sedans fit 3 across but it's ALWAYS dependent on what car seats you have. And no way of predicting now age gap of kids if you'll be using a booster or not...

gamanit

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:06 pm
twogees wrote:
What sedan other than the Hyundai sonata fits 3 across? Or does it matter as to what car seats I have?

Why other than Hyundai Sonata? Are you ruling it out or you just want to know other options? If you're ruling it out I'd want to know why...

cm

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:38 pm
twogees wrote:

Yes.

You don't know when you will outgrow your car, or how long your current car will last, or what new options will be available when you're ready to buy, or what car seats will be popular, or how many kids you will have when you want a second car or when your current car wears out, or how your driving skills will progress.

Keep an eye on the automotive news and see what appeals to you over the next year.

Good luck with your road test!

kb

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:01 am
twogees wrote:
I know they cost more. Its a matter of paying more now or later and getting a small car now and a van in say 5 years from now..

I'd get a car if I had one kid.
Unless you're considering buying a brand new minivan (but even then I think I'd stick with a car)

My theory is that you can buy something and sell it on when you're ready to move to the "next stage".
So you buy a car, drive it for 4 years, sell if for - say, half or 3/4 of what you paid for it - and then use that towards the price of a minivan.

Or something like that.

Let's say you buy a minivan now for $10k. You drive it for 3 years. (by which time you'll need a minivan) By this time its value is down to $7k. Drive it for 3 more years. Now it's worth $3k, and it's costing you a lot in repairs....

Vs. if you buy a car now. It'll be $6k instead of 10. That's 4k saved right there. Save it! Drive it for 3 years. Now it's worth 4k. You sell it, take that 4, plus the 4 you saved 3 years earlier. Add another 2k, and you have a minivan in much better condition than you would otherwise.

AND you have 3 years of somewhat easier parking, and less gas guzzling.

(yes... I know my numbers aren't totally accurate and that everything is easier said than done. But that's just my theory of why you should not buy a minivan until you need to.)

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:48 am
Will you have any carpools in the near future? If so, go for the van or it may be hard to join.
Will you be using the car to commute? If yes, you need to consider getting something smaller that is better on the miles.
Does it snow in your area? Will you be driving in the snow? It snows where I live, but I work locally. So when the snow starts I go home, and stay home. But if you anticipate being out in the snow, SUVs are often 4-wheel drive, You can get a sedan or a minivan that is 4-wheel drive as well.

There are some great deals on leasing minivans. They are very comfortable and the space is convenient. Even with one baby, there's the carriage, the groceries, and whatever else you pack in there. They are only a few inches longer and really not so hard to park, depending where you live. Personally, I do not like the way they look, and with only one kid left home, I thought I would finally stop driving a minivan. For me though, a lease on a minivan made the most sense.

NOTE: I learned the hard way that 30% of new cars do not come with a spare tire. So if you're driving a Town & Country (they were a great deal so I see lots in the parking lot), chances are if you get a flat, you will need a tow. There is a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk, but if you hit a pothole or a curb, it probably won't work.

dina125

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:45 am
Not commenting on van vs. car, but I personally dislike hyundai sonatas - we had a 2005 for 5 years (we got a used one) and it was nothing but trouble! Maybe it was a lemon, but I would not get one again. We now have a toyota camry & it's much, much better! I think there's a good reason a lot of people like the honda & toyota brands for both cars & minivans & those are brands I'd consider when in market, even if a bit more expensive - I feel it's worth it, because down the line, less trouble & less repairs. Anyway, hatzlacha with whatever you get, whenever you get it!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 9:06 am
twogees wrote:
I am not in the market yet for a 2nd car yet, but when I am what should I get? A minivan or a sedan? I am thinking a minivan as then I spend the money once on a 2nd car and don't have to worry about looking for a new car when we outgrow a sedan, but on the other hand, having a sedan right after passing my road test (yes, I don't drive yet tho I am working on my permit so I can have my license by the summer) will be better as its a smaller car for parking when in my area, half the year there is no parking in front of my building and we have no parking lot....

with one kid, we had a small car - Honda Civic
With 2 we have a large car. - Toyota Corolla
Iyh we plan to get a minivan when pregnant with a 3rd child.
Saves a lot of money having a smaller car.

et27

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:04 am
If you have the option, I would suggest pushing off this decision as long as you can because family size makes a huge difference in this question. I had a similar dilemma but ended up getting a minivan since I'm expecting our second child BEH. Even with just one child at the moment, I am really enjoying the extra space (especially for all the paraphernalia that come with children if you plan on traveling or going away for shabbos). It is also much easier to strap kids into carseats in a minivan like mine and the driving is more comfortable overall, especially when pregnant. Extra time will give you the opportunity to make the best decision for you and your family. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics