Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Bizarre Rules
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:17 pm
cnc wrote:
It is a separate run with a Mashgiach turning on the fire.

Plus, I'm not sure the regular wise chips are still BA. The OU's standards have become a lot stricter in recent years, and I haven't asked this question personsally. I was speaking upthead about the status when amother and I were kids.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:33 pm
trixx wrote:
this is straight up shulchan aruch. (the crumbs thing is from the gemara which says someone who does not throw out crumbs will be wealthy and brings a story) negel vasser thing is bc you're supposed to wash your eyes and face right away

when I was engaged my mother whipped out the superstitions and made me put my thumb in between pointer and middle finger and say "gey feigen" (which I later found out from russians means f off lollll) to avoid ayin hara Rolling Eyes she also made me a wear a red string which is sooo not our thing. I laughed at her but did it to keep her happy but honestly thought it was ridiculous.

however I'm really surprised at a lot of things mentioned here - a lot is kabbalah or shulchan aruch, not just superstition. and quotes from wikipedia don't disprove anything, they could have gotten it from the jews just like the jews could have gotten it from them. not buying baby items is really well-known to avoid ayin hara.

Just because something is in the shulchan arukh or the Gemara doesn't mean it's not superstition. The nail thing seems more about hilkhot shabbos then superstition (although all of us who use electric timers probably wouldn't have any issues with cutting nails on Thursday)

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:02 pm
cnc wrote:
It is a separate run with a Mashgiach turning on the fire.

If you go to Anderson pretzel factory
You'll see different brands there too. Same thing. Special runs.
Atleast when I was younger and went on a tour

cinnabuns

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:33 pm
Electric timers have nothing to do with cutting nails.. Wink
Once you leave the house for a trip, not to go back inside.
Not shining shoes before leaving on a trip.
(Both things from the same source, don't remember it at the moment)
Anything else we did I understood the reasoning behind it, so I guess it didn't seem so weird to me..

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:39 pm
cinnabuns wrote:

these are both from the Tzava'a of Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:40 pm
why? I have ocd and do that Sad

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:40 pm
cinnabuns wrote:
Electric timers have nothing to do with cutting nails.. Wink
Anything else we did I understood the reasoning behind it, so I guess it didn't seem so weird to me..

I think they are connected because it's about causing non shabbos activities to happen on shabbos by actions you do before shabbos

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:45 pm
tichellady wrote:
I think they are connected because it's about causing non shabbos activities to happen on shabbos by actions you do before shabbos

You know that fingernails grow all the time, whether you cut them or not, right? Maybe we should quit feeding our kids on Thursdays, because they might grow on Shabbos!

I made a spinoff, here: http://www.imamother.com/forum.....11470

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:50 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
You know that fingernails grow all the time, whether you cut them or not, right? Maybe we should quit feeding our kids on Thursdays, because they might grow on Shabbos!

I made a spinoff, here: http://www.imamother.com/forum.....11470

I agree, it doesn't make sense to me, but I think that the rule probably started when they had a different understanding of how fingernails grow. My point is that people who use electric timers for shabbos should not have an issue with melacha happening on shabbos that was pre-set before shabbos. I don't observe this finger cutting rule because it doesn't make sense to me, but the origins may have been logical given the scientific knowledge in their time.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:55 pm
When I'm pregnant, if I cut my nails on Thursday they'll be well in need of a trim on shabbos Very Happy

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:56 pm
My husband has this rule about no seashells in the house, something about them being bad luck? Anybody else heard of this or what the source is?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:07 pm
poelmamosh wrote:
Plus, I'm not sure the regular wise chips are still BA. The OU's standards have become a lot stricter in recent years, and I haven't asked this question personsally. I was speaking upthead about the status when amother and I were kids.

Yes they still are. Or rather, they still hold that potatoes do not require bishul yisroel.
If you look at the liebers bag there is an extra hashgacha. That's because they make sure it is bishul yisroel.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:10 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Lol. When they say that with emphasis on the PUH they're basically puffing air at the candle and it goes out. But they didn't blow it out! All they did was say Purim!

Lol. This is too funny- never heard this one before!

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:27 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Yeah that's familiar too. People shake a match or say a word like PEHsach or PUHrim so they're not really "blowing out" the candle.

My father used to pre-light all the shabbos candles and then blow them out. (I believe to make it easier for my mother to light them?). When we were little, we would come running and enthusiastically help him blow them out by saying "Purim, Pesach, Puppene, Potato chips...." Hilarious memories!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
My father used to pre-light all the shabbos candles and then blow them out. (I believe to make it easier for my mother to light them?). When we were little, we would come running and enthusiastically help him blow them out by saying "Purim, Pesach, Puppene, Potato chips...." Hilarious memories!

that's so that he takes part in the mitzva of lighting candles for shabbos. it's a minhag.

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:07 pm
tichellady wrote:

There is melachah "happening" in our homes over Shabbos all the time. We're not Karaites. The possible issue with Shabbos clocks has to do with whether it's considered similar to amirah l'nochri or not. This is halachah (albeit rabbinic in nature)
Not cutting nails on Thursday is a minhag, an attempt to solve a conundrum: we should cut our nails l'kavod Shabbos, but doing it two days in advance will promote (visible) growth on Shabbos, so...better on Friday.

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:
Yes they still are. Or rather, they still hold that potatoes do not require bishul yisroel.
If you look at the liebers bag there is an extra hashgacha. That's because they make sure it is bishul yisroel.

OK . I know their shitah on canned fish, so I guess I'm not really surprised.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:44 am
trixx wrote:
not buying baby items is really well-known to avoid ayin hara.

Just because something is well-known does not mean it has a legitimate source. We asked a shayla while I was pregnant with my first and the (extremely knowledgeable, charedi) rav said he had looked high and low for a legitimate Jewish source for this and could not find one and we could buy stuff before the baby was born if we wanted to.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:22 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Just because something is well-known does not mean it has a legitimate source. We asked a shayla while I was pregnant with my first and the (extremely knowledgeable, charedi) rav said he had looked high and low for a legitimate Jewish source for this and could not find one and we could buy stuff before the baby was born if we wanted to.

I was told the same, and we buy baby items before the baby. When I was pg with my oldest, my BIL was practically hysterical and insisted the items we bought were "his" until the baby is born.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:51 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I was told the same, and we buy baby items before the baby. When I was pg with my oldest, my BIL was practically hysterical and insisted the items we bought were "his" until the baby is born.

I was very frum about this with my first baby. Bought absolutely nothing. With my second and subsequent babies, the hospital I gave birth in didn't give you clothes so I bought some clothing items as needed. It made me think that until recently baby clothes all needed to be made by hand..no amazon prime and 24 hour supermarkets either. People MUST have prepared clothing and possibly cradles etc before they gave birth.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics