Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Bugaboo bee3/Doona car seat

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:14 pm
What can you tell me about it ?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 5:16 pm
Anyone?

Mrs. Annie

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 5:20 pm
I have the doona. It's very convenient, can't imagine w/o it. But, it's much heavier than a regular car seat.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 5:21 pm
If you often in and out of the car, choose the doona. However, it will only work for your child for the first year until she graduates to a convertible car seat.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 5:27 pm
Thank you for your replies

Is it really that amazing that the price is justified?
Can you put it is a shopping cart or do you have to use its own wheels?
How do you carry it if not using the wheels? Doesnt look like the handle moves...

Why is it better than the maxi cosi which is light and cheaper, and a wheel base

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 6:24 pm
Just saying: I saw someone with the doona. The wheels looked like they were worn out and falling apart. I don't think it would last long enough to justify the cost. That's my take.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:26 pm
Mrs. Annie wrote:
I have the doona. It's very convenient, can't imagine w/o it. But, it's much heavier than a regular car seat.
I also have the doona and love it. It's a bit heavier than some other carseats but the only time I ever have to carry it is to lift it in and out of the car for 3 seconds. that's the point of the wheels.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:27 pm
tigerwife wrote:
If you often in and out of the car, choose the doona. However, it will only work for your child for the first year until she graduates to a convertible car seat.
My dd is a small 2yo and she's still in the doona. I've met other mothers with average size kids who say they used it till 18 months. The seat back is very tall.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:29 pm
bsy wrote:
Just saying: I saw someone with the doona. The wheels looked like they were worn out and falling apart. I don't think it would last long enough to justify the cost. That's my take.
She must have severely abused hers because mine is 2 years old and I use it heavily and the only obvious wear and tear are some sweat stains on the seat fabric. It's totally ready to go for more kids.

miriamg

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:31 pm
I don't have the doona, but several friends do. There are a few big advantages over a car seat and a separate stroller/snap and go.
1. If you have a small car, you don't need to use the space for a stroller
2. If you are constantly in and out of the car (especially with several young kids in tow), each time you go in and come out of the car (with a separate stroller) you need to open the trunk, take out the stroller, lock it, close the trunk, take out the car seat, snap it in, unlock the stroller. (Or the reverse)

The main disadvantage however is the lack of basket underneath.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for your replies

Is it really that amazing that the price is justified?
Can you put it is a shopping cart or do you have to use its own wheels?
How do you carry it if not using the wheels? Doesnt look like the handle moves...

Why is it better than the maxi cosi which is light and cheaper, and a wheel base

I agree with the pp. Yes the handle moves. I've never tried to put it in a shoppig cart but you ca move the handle to straight up and roll the doona at your side while pusshing or pulling a shopping cart. I dont take my baby with me to do big grocery shoppping. I use it the way the pp poster described, with lots of other children with me to run smaller errands or trips. I like that there is no basket underneath so that way my other kids can't dump all their stuff in it making it heavy to push and leaving me to empty it out before we can get back in the car. I have a small trunk and a really fast paced life and this is quick and takes up less space. I don't have a lot of money to spare and I don't jump on the latest fads and usually roll my eyes at them. For me the doona is extremely practical.

real israeli

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 2:20 am
amother wrote:
I agree with the pp. Yes the handle moves. I've never tried to put it in a shoppig cart but you ca move the handle to straight up and roll the doona at your side while pusshing or pulling a shopping cart. I dont take my baby with me to do big grocery shoppping. I use it the way the pp poster described, with lots of other children with me to run smaller errands or trips. I like that there is no basket underneath so that way my other kids can't dump all their stuff in it making it heavy to push and leaving me to empty it out before we can get back in the car. I have a small trunk and a really fast paced life and this is quick and takes up less space. I don't have a lot of money to spare and I don't jump on the latest fads and usually roll my eyes at them. For me the doona is extremely practical.

This is really interesting to hear (I'm not the op). I've had this question before and was following this thread. Do you really find it so much easier getting in and out of a car?? I have a Graco car seat and snap and go. My base opens with one hand. (And I have a minivan so space isn't an issue) my base is extremely lightweight and I was trying to figure out why I would spend money on the doona. It's the same one button u need to click to open the base on my snap and go and on the doona. So I find it interesting that you feel it's so extremely helpful and worth the money even for someone without money to spare (not my issue even - my parents would have gladly bought me one I didn't want). Can you elaborate more on what is so great about it other than saving space because I'm really not understanding

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 5:33 am
real israeli wrote:
This is really interesting to hear (I'm not the op). I've had this question before and was following this thread. Do you really find it so much easier getting in and out of a car?? I have a Graco car seat and snap and go. My base opens with one hand. (And I have a minivan so space isn't an issue) my base is extremely lightweight and I was trying to figure out why I would spend money on the doona. It's the same one button u need to click to open the base on my snap and go and on the doona. So I find it interesting that you feel it's so extremely helpful and worth the money even for someone without money to spare (not my issue even - my parents would have gladly bought me one I didn't want). Can you elaborate more on what is so great about it other than saving space because I'm really not understanding

I have a big family including a few little ones that I have to keep an eye and a hand on and I am usually in a hurry. For the amount of time I spend in and out and in and out and in and out of a car yes it saves me a tremendous amount of time and effort as opposed to going around to the trunk, opening the trunk, taking out the snap n go, opening it... (you get the point) and the reverse to get back in the car a bunch of times a day. I find it a lot less cumbersome. It might not be worth it for everyone but it is for me. I also consider it an investment for future children or grandchildren. It is that well made (which is why the earlier post about her friend's being in such bad shape really surprised me.)

Mrs. Annie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 6:14 am
amother wrote:
I also have the doona and love it. It's a bit heavier than some other carseats but the only time I ever have to carry it is to lift it in and out of the car for 3 seconds. that's the point of the wheels.
I carry it up & down the stairs.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:20 am
That makes sense.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
I have a big family including a few little ones that I have to keep an eye and a hand on and I am usually in a hurry. For the amount of time I spend in and out and in and out and in and out of a car yes it saves me a tremendous amount of time and effort as opposed to going around to the trunk, opening the trunk, taking out the snap n go, opening it... (you get the point) and the reverse to get back in the car a bunch of times a day. I find it a lot less cumbersome. It might not be worth it for everyone but it is for me. I also consider it an investment for future children or grandchildren. It is that well made (which is why the earlier post about her friend's being in such bad shape really surprised me.)

Does it not expire like other car seats do? How many future children and grandchildren can you use it for?

(That was a big factor that I took into consideration when looking into it.)

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:52 am
cnc wrote:
Does it not expire like other car seats do? How many future children and grandchildren can you use it for?

(That was a big factor that I took into consideration when looking into it.)

I believe it's 6 years. I have adult children and I am still young.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:00 am
Apparently it's not recommended infants spend a long time in a car seat, that's why I'm inclined to not get the Doona. It's recommended they lay flat (as in a bassinet). Also, When your child grows out of it, you're done.

A bugaboo van last until the child outgrows stroller stage. It's much more versatile. It's also way more well built. It's built to last. And if you want a car seat stroller you can buy the adapter to click it on until he transfers to the seat. Or just use the bassinet. The bassinet is also approved for overnight sleep.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
She must have severely abused hers because mine is 2 years old and I use it heavily and the only obvious wear and tear are some sweat stains on the seat fabric. It's totally ready to go for more kids.

But because it expires in another 4 years it probably will only be used for 1 - 2 more kids.
So its not like something where the wheels have to last forever.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 1:27 pm
Thank you

Any one have any thing to say about the bugaboo bee3 ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics