Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Is this sooo terrible?
Previous  1  2

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 5:57 am
amother wrote:
I work in a preschool. The 2 year old "classes" are basically expensive babysitting.

I thought playgroup is cheaper than babysitting. Besides for the fact, there is some learning going on, circle time, songs, stories, kids their own age.

I also thought some babysitters won't take toddlers. I don't think it's that safe for the babies. They can get bored and hurt the babies.

Personally, I kept my kids home at that age unless I was working at the time.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 6:10 am
Last year DS went to a babysitter who had 3mo- 18mo. She had really good toys that she rotated. It was very loose structured. Inside play, outside play, eating, naps.

myym

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:42 am
I think you need to make sure the kids by the babysitter will have adequate toys and interaction. If she has these kids and no structure at all, as in breakfast, playtime, lunch , nap, playtime, then it won't be good. Also she needs to be interacting with them, not baking while they wonder around. Sometimes these babysitter can be awesome. In Israel I sent to one woman who had the kids help her with baking and all sorts of home making activities. They were like part of the family.
But I had sent to a different babysitter who literally had no toys and did nothing all day with them. That is not ok.
You just need to make sure there's toys and interaction and then its great.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Many people keep their 2 year olds home at that age.
I found a great morah of a playgroup with only 8 kids in the class. She is loving, responsible, lively and seems to really care about the children. She is also very neat. I'm very happy with her, and my son happens to be the type who thrives on learning new things and songs and projects. He comes home and tells me the parsha. So he needed a playgroup. But whatever works for you and your child!

Exactly the same story here.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:52 am
If all the kids are going to be the same age (2), I'm curious to know why the morah doesn't have some structure. My two year old thrives on structure and would not be happy playing with the same toys day in day out. Is she only accepting two year olds with a mild, relaxed nature?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:02 am
I kept DD home until kindergarten, and I got SO much grief from the community! You'd think I was locking her in the closet all day. When I asked if they were volunteering to pay for day care, they shut up.

Everyone has to do what is best for their family. In my case, DD was reactive to the Pertussis vaccine, and couldn't have it. It was epidemic in my area, and I was specifically told to keep her out of groups until she was 5. One on one play dates with healthy kids was OK.

I was a SAHM, and we had a wonderful time together. She was involved in every aspect of daily life, we did art projects, nature walks, gardening, learning, and all kinds of stuff. Sure, some days it was hard, when she needed a LOT more stimulus, and I didn't have the energy for it, but we managed. 99% of the time we were having a blast.

The thing is, she's an only child, and I knew that this would be all the time I would have with her at this age. If I had 3 under 4, my attitude might be very different. I refuse to judge anyone who made different decisions based on their kid's needs, and if both parents need to work.

Long story short - trust yourself. Forget what "everyone else does", and don't let anyone give you a guilt trip.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:13 am
I think anything before 3 is optional. My 2 year old is home with DH this year and is doing fine. He is a loving chatty little guy. I will probably send him to camp this summer to get him used to structure before playgroup in sept since camp is more relaxed.

Where I live, the babysitting groups that are small and nurturing dont go past two. Some even end at 18 months so you are almost forced to send to play group even if you dont want. I was looking for some thing very part time for my toddler this year because I thought he would enjoy a few hours a week with kids (his brother is 6 and in school all day) but there were no choices.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
I am not sending my 2 year old to playgroup next year. Gasp! I'm choosing to send to a small babysitting group where we are comfortable. People tell me I'm crazy and that playgroup is a must at this age. I'm just wondering when sending a 2 year old to a basement with 12-18 other two year olds and 2-3 morahs became a "must" I've been to these playgroups and I just don't see why this is so important. They are essentially babies wondering around. (Which is ok at this age!) but not sure why it HAS to be in big group setting. Not really second guessing my choices (well maybe a little-don't we all😉) Just wondering why this is the norm pretty much across the board at such a young age.

I had the same situation when my daughter was that age. Playgroup vs small babysitting group. I kept her with the babysitter and many people told me I was crazy to do that - she was 3 before the year ended. I am still so happy I did this and always say it was one of the best things I did for her. There are enough years of school without adding more. Of course every kid is different and some kids may really benfit from playgroup at that age, but if your kid isn't one of them, definitely don't feel pressured by what others are saying!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Op here

I am not a sahm. So we are not talking abt sending to playgroup vs staying home with me. I do work and need to send my child out. The comments I get is bec I will be sending my two year old to a small babysitter with a few children (not babies, around the same age) and not a playgroup. Meaning no structured activities no projects no circle times, davening etc. friends say my two year old will be "so bored" "under stimulated" my child is bright, very social and verbal and will love school very much eventually,, but to me a two year old is a baby who just need some warm individual attention more than this stimulation everyone is so busy with and can be just fine at a babysitter.

Love this post and completely agree! Ask the people who question your decision what exactly they think will happen to your 2 year old if he or she is "bored" and "understimulated."

My daughter who I kept home at that age is in middle elementary school now - she has B"H always been happy and successful in school academically and socially, and had a very nice year that year with her loving babysitter and 3 or so other kids around her age. She had toys to play with, meals, a nap if she was tired, but no real structure (such as circle time and projects). When she started school the following year she loved it and the teachers told me how mature and well-adjusted she was. After seeing all the structure kids have to deal with in school I am still so glad she had that year without school.

As I posted above, some kids really need playgroup even at age 2, there are many kids who definitely don't. There is nothing wrong with sending a 2 year old to playgroup but there is also nothing wrong with keeping a 2 year old with a babysitter. Like the OP, I don't understand why many people seem to think it's a crazy thing to do.

keym

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:52 pm
I think the most important thing is whether this babysiktter has sufficient space, toys, and patience for a 2 1/2 yr old. I've seen some babysitters that are incredibly well stocked for infants, but not so much for toddlers. You're going to want dolls and dishes, lego, and riding toy and crayons. Make sure the babysitter has all these.
Also just a point to ponder, if there are infants, will your child be contained to much to keep it safe for the infants, or will there be complaints about her "aggresiveness" that's just normal toddler behavior.
In general I'm sceptical of a babysitter keeping an environment safe for infants (no small pcs and crayons for baby to eat) and pleasant and appropriate for 2 yr old (toys, room to run, outdoor play)
For this reason I always sent my 2 yr old out to small warm mommying playgroups.
They don't need a large group but they need age appropriate stuff.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:12 pm
keym wrote:
I think the most important thing is whether this babysiktter has sufficient space, toys, and patience for a 2 1/2 yr old. I've seen some babysitters that are incredibly well stocked for infants, but not so much for toddlers. You're going to want dolls and dishes, lego, and riding toy and crayons. Make sure the babysitter has all these.
Also just a point to ponder, if there are infants, will your child be contained to much to keep it safe for the infants, or will there be complaints about her "aggresiveness" that's just normal toddler behavior.
In general I'm sceptical of a babysitter keeping an environment safe for infants (no small pcs and crayons for baby to eat) and pleasant and appropriate for 2 yr old (toys, room to run, outdoor play)
For this reason I always sent my 2 yr old out to small warm mommying playgroups.
They don't need a large group but they need age appropriate stuff.

What else would u say is important for the babysityerto have stocked?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 12:25 am
amother wrote:

ETA : the previous poster said she worked in a 2yr old classroom and thinks it was just expensvie babysitting ---- well I dont believe htat all 2 yr old programs are like that. Mine certainly is not just babysitting!

Sorry I really should have explained myself better. I meant that "school" isn't always any more beneficial than a babysitter. Not that every school is just glorified babysitting.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics