Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Coworker Dilemma

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 6:58 pm
I work for a really small business. Until now it's been just me and my boss, and he's hardly ever there. Recently the business has been growing and there's too much work for me to handle. My boss decided to hire someone to help me, he asked me to interview her because he feels that if it's just me and her there most of the time, it should be somebody I'm happy with.

I've never interviewed anybody before and I'm not a great judge of people. We interviewed a few women and chose one who had the right experience and gave off a great impression - to me. He wasn't getting great vibes, but he wanted me to make the final decision because he wanted me to be comfortable with her.

Well, by the end of the first day it was obvious that she is extremely annoying. She doesn't stop talking, gives me a lot of useless, irrelevant information, tells me her opinions on how we do lots of things wrong. She's even chimed in on conversations I'm having with clients, giving her advice even though she doesn't know enough about the company yet to have advice to give.

Friday is the end of her first week. My boss doesn't want to keep her if she annoys me (she annoys him too, but he's hardly there). On the other hand, I would feel terrible causing someone to get fired. She is qualified for the job, she's just really annoying.

I'm not sure what to do. She hasn't really done anything to deserve being fired. But being that it's just her and me sitting in the same small office all day, I really feel like it's too much. In a bigger office with more people I could just ignore her or stay away, but here I'm stuck. What should I do?

Kumphort

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:03 pm
Was she hired on a trial basis?

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:03 pm
Does she have an orientation period that she's in or he just hired her straight out as a full employee?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:05 pm
Mistakes in hiring happen be it a small business or a large corporation. It's really best to let someone go if they are not a good fit. I think she is way out of line with her comments while you are talking to clients. Have the boss send her on her way.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:14 pm
She was hired on a trial basis. We both feel it would be best, for us and for her, to let her go sooner rather than later, if we do make that decision.

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:23 pm
Did she resign from another job to take this one?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
She was hired on a trial basis. We both feel it would be best, for us and for her, to let her go sooner rather than later, if we do make that decision.

It's time to call the #2 candidate and see if she is available.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:47 pm
Squishy wrote:
Did she resign from another job to take this one?

No, thank goodness. She was a sahm for a while and now her kids are all in school so she's going back to work.

MagentaYenta, you're probably right, I just feel so horrible about it.

bluebird

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:03 pm
It's no kindness to her to keep her when she's not the right fit for the job. It will end badly, and the more time it goes on the worse it will be when you fire her.

Do you think she's teachable? Are you willing to put it the time and aggravation to improve her behavior? Is your boss going to take an active role, including setting expectations, providing guidance, and being willing to let her go if she isn't working out? If the answer to any is no them better to let her go now.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
No, thank goodness. She was a sahm for a while and now her kids are all in school so she's going back to work.

MagentaYenta, you're probably right, I just feel so horrible about it.

And that's ok to feel badly. But none of this is your 'fault' there is no fault in this matter. I was in a position to hire and fire for most of my working career. It's good not to take it in a cavalier manner and remember these are humans that deserve dignity and respect regardless of whether they worked out in a position.

I will add, discharging her is well beyond your pay grade, it's the boss's job.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:03 pm
Do it sooner than later. The longer she sticks around the harder it will be to let her go.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:06 pm
What MagentaYenta said. All of it.

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:59 pm
amother wrote:

So make the decision. The boss is backing you here. Have him fire her.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:06 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
And that's ok to feel badly. But none of this is your 'fault' there is no fault in this matter. I was in a position to hire and fire for most of my working career. It's good not to take it in a cavalier manner and remember these are humans that deserve dignity and respect regardless of whether they worked out in a position.

I will add, discharging her is well beyond your pay grade, it's the boss's job.

Thanks, you're making me feel a little better about it. Don't worry, I have no intention of being the one to let her go.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:15 pm
bluebird wrote:
It's no kindness to her to keep her when she's not the right fit for the job. It will end badly, and the more time it goes on the worse it will be when you fire her.

Do you think she's teachable? Are you willing to put it the time and aggravation to improve her behavior? Is your boss going to take an active role, including setting expectations, providing guidance, and being willing to let her go if she isn't working out? If the answer to any is no them better to let her go now.

I don't think she's teachable, partly because both of us would have a really hard time saying what we need to say, neither of us is cut out for that. Also, I think it's more personality than anything else. I tried telling her not to talk to me because I needed to concentrate, that just led to a 3 minute monologue on how important it is to be quiet when somebody's trying to concentrate. I can't see myself being assertive enough to get her to change.

Her job is pretty easy, it doesn't require any specialized skills, so she should be pretty easy to replace.

LisaS

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 4:21 am
Let her go. If you feel bad help her by networking for another job. Her never running out of words could be a big asset elsewhere.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 5:44 am
Why not have a constructive conversation with her?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics