Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Life Drawing for older teen girls

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:22 pm
I have a daughter who seems to have artistic talent. It is enough talent that she should try to develop it. Her Jewish girls high school does not have a sufficent art program to help her prepare for a competitive post high school art program.

Just like a med student, nurse or EMT would need to study the human body to do the work they do, the conventional training for artists includes observing and practicing drawing the human form.

Are there any clear issurim that she would violate by having this type of professional art training?

Has anyone perused these questions for themselves or one of their daughters and what guidance did you get from Jewish educators or a rav?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 5:50 am
Bump.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:26 am
30+ years ago, a friend who was taking art got out of drawing models. Her professor gave her another assignment, I don't know what, but she sketched everywhere - on the subway, etc.

I hope my reply is going to serve as a bump. I'm sure someone here has had a similar challenge or know someone who has. I would think it would be good for her to have mentor.

And I don't think the analogy with medical professionals necessarily works.

kb

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:22 am
I don't think anyone needs to draw nude bodies in order to become an accomplished artist.

I'm not aware of a halachic problem with it. However, if you're planning on sending her into the "art world" in general, I would do it only if she has a good mentor... I wouldn't stereotype artists as good role models...

queenert

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:20 am
I had this issue in college.
I personally had no interest in taking the class as a) I wasn't planning on perusing art, just needed the basics for my profession and b) I don't think you need to see the human body stripped down to draw it well with clothing. I hear the argument obviously, but don't think it's necessary.

My professor was a Jew and gave me a really hard time about it (of course) and tried to engage me in all sorts of debate (including the medical example you bring), but eventually just let me draw busts and clothed humans. I don't think my skills suffered - my final piece was good enough to be entered into the end of year student show, right alongside the classmates that had drawn from real life.

When I spoke to my rav, I mentioned the doctor thing, and he said a) it's not necessary to learn the skill and b) it's not a life saving skill.
I didn't ask him if there are any actual issurim, but he was not supportive of me taking the class.

How does your daughter feel about this? There are some very high level classes that are not life drawing classes. Would she be happy with those? Is she self-motivated and will compensate whatever lacks she feels she's encountering?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:12 pm
My daughter both draws as well as poses naked. I've never asked a Rav. Chances are that anybody interested in this type of art will not care too much about impositions of frumkeit.

She is quite the artsy hipster. I am glad she is happy. I am happy she gets paid. My influence or lack thereof would make zero impression. Therefore, I just view it as unique.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 6:06 pm
Thank you all for sharing. The input is helpful & I am asked some more questions with the program she is interested in. I think she will be able to take the drawing class and skip the 1 or 2 sessions that have problematic modeling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics