Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Water filtation system

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:38 pm
what's the best way to have filtered water at home? mini bar? the filter next to the faucet built in? happy to hear everyone's experiences good or not so good.
thanks

israeliMD

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:54 am
We just use a brita pitcher we keep in the fridge. And then for hot water we have a kettle that heats up (kumkum). I wanted to get a water bar when we moved here but I was frustrated by the salespeople so never got around to it.

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:16 am
We have a Mei Eden cooler with the jugs.

jkw

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 11:16 pm
In re the Brita filter -- don't they get used up quickly due to the high mineral content of the water? I am in Jerusalem, and wondering what the best system is for a small household.

TIA

devash1

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 11:19 pm
We have the mini bar and like it. A downside it is that it takes up counter space. It has a Shabbos mode so we can use the cold water on Shabbos which is nice. We don't keep the hot water on because it uses a lot of energy and we don't use it all day long. We had a regular filter on our sink but I see the kids drink a lot more water when it's cold.

myname1

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 1:36 am
devash1 wrote:
We have the mini bar and like it. A downside it is that it takes up counter space. It has a Shabbos mode so we can use the cold water on Shabbos which is nice. We don't keep the hot water on because it uses a lot of energy and we don't use it all day long. We had a regular filter on our sink but I see the kids drink a lot more water when it's cold.

Anyone have any reason not to get the filter connected to the sink (that comes out a tap next to the faucet) besides the room temperature water? Does anyone have a recommendation of a model or store/website to help choose one?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 6:06 am
israeliMD wrote:
We just use a brita pitcher we keep in the fridge. And then for hot water we have a kettle that heats up (kumkum). I wanted to get a water bar when we moved here but I was frustrated by the salespeople so never got around to it.

Omg. Literally same story. Went to get a water bar and got so annoyed at the salespeople that we just walked out of the store.

Turns out for a water bar in our kitchen we would have needed to drill through the counter top which my landlord didn't agree to.

So in the meantime my husband uses the brita and I have 10+ cases of water delivered to me at a time

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 6:55 am
jkw wrote:
In re the Brita filter -- don't they get used up quickly due to the high mineral content of the water? I am in Jerusalem, and wondering what the best system is for a small household.

TIA

We've had no such issues with our Brita, in fact I probably don't change the filter as often as I should. There's nothing wrong with the Jerusalem water, it's perfectly safe, but my husband prefers the taste of the filtered water. I don't care as long as it's cold (we use the Brita to fill several SodaStream bottles we keep in the fridge. No actual soda machine, they're just sturdy bottles that last years).

israeliMD

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:30 pm
jkw wrote:

TIA

I don't think so. We only change the filter every few months. Probably should change it more. Our building also has an industrial type water filter machine in the lobby area so when we are having guests I send my kids down to fill up glass jugs to keep in the fridge so we don't have to keep filling the brita over and over again.

queenert

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 1:53 pm
We had a pitcher but a) the filters are expensive and b) I hated that I had to fill it and wait for it to filter and that it took up precious counter space.
We finally got a PUR faucet mount. It latches on with a simple click so we can take it with us when we move, and there's no hardware or drilling or whatnot. Only downside is that we have to fill up bottles/pitchers before Shabbat because there's an indicator light.
The filters officially last a season (summer, fall, etc.) but so far we've been using it happily from August.
Oh...we got it when we were in America so that could be inconvenient depending on if you have anyone visiting...
(This is the one we got, on clearance at Target: https://www.pur.com/faucet-fil.....ystem)

miriamg

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:03 am
Regarding the PUR system. We had a similiar Brita filter before making aliyah, but none of the faucets in any apartment we've been in here were compatible. So before buying one, make sure it works with your faucet!

We have an under the sink reverse osmosis filter with a spout on the left of the sink. It's very convenient, and we only need to change the filters once a year. However, when we first got it, we used some company that advertised in the local circular at a huge discount, and then each part developed a leak at different times, flooding the cabinet below the sink. We ended up having the entire system replaced by a reputable plumber who uses only 'made in the USA' parts. So beware if you go this route. Make sure you are getting quality parts!

Also, regarding the spring water systems. We priced it about five years ago and realized that it was cheaper to buy a bunch of six packs in the supermarket every few weeks and have them delivered to my door than to have a contract with one of the companies who deliver the huge jugs. That was a while ago, but I doubt much has changed!

queenert

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:10 am
Quote:
Regarding the PUR system. We had a similiar Brita filter before making aliyah, but none of the faucets in any apartment we've been in here were compatible. So before buying one, make sure it works with your faucet!

Interesting...ours came with a bunch of different adapters so you can fit which faucet you have.

jkw

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:04 am
Can anyone please give me specific stores in Jerusalem where they have seen Brita Pitchers and filters for sale? I must be looking in the wrong stores. I am in central Jerusalem but willing to travel around.
TIA

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:19 am
jkw wrote:
Can anyone please give me specific stores in Jerusalem where they have seen Brita Pitchers and filters for sale? I must be looking in the wrong stores. I am in central Jerusalem but willing to travel around.
TIA

Any major supermarket. Saw them the other day at Ramy Levy (the one under Rav Chen if you want me to be that specific). I also see them at Shufersal all the time.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 3:54 am
We got ours in hardware stores.
The one on Bar Ilan and Eli had better prices than the one on Bar Ilan and Shmuel Hanavi.

jkw

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 4:17 am
THANK YOU to the lady who said go to Shufersal!
I just came from there with my brand new Brita Pitcher which was on SALE for 79 NIS reduced from 110!!
Great water,here we come!

saracf

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 6:28 am
Are there any water filters that filter out flouride?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions