Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What makes you answer or not respond to a post?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:04 pm
It's very interesting to see that some posts get replies and some don't. Especially when it comes to asking for advice, referrals, suggestions. What makes you respond to a post and what makes you not want to respond to a post?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:06 pm
My interest level in the subject matter in that moment.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:07 pm
I don't always write on posts
But when I have an answer the person can really use or if I see ppl are giving wrong advice I will chime in

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
It's very interesting to see that some posts get replies and some don't. Especially when it comes to asking for advice, referrals, suggestions. What makes you respond to a post and what makes you not want to respond to a post?

Things I respond to-
Something I know a lot about
A fun conversation I want to join
If someone posts something blatantly incorrect and I'm worried someone will take her advice
A post that's hurtful to another poster

Things I don't respond to-
Something I know nothing about
Something that has absolutely no relevance to me
Posts that I think trolls get involved in and I don't want to bump up

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:23 pm
My #1 reason for posting, is to make someone's life better, in any way I can. I post if I have experience in the subject, or just to say something kind to someone who needs a bit of compassion.

I tend not to post, if I'm not sure what to say, or if there's a chance that what I'm trying to say will come across as hurtful or unhelpful. Sometimes I hold back if I feel like I need more info. If the thread goes to page 2, then there is usually enough there for me to compose a more informed comment.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:23 pm
I respond if I have something to add I feel hasn't been said yet, and even then, I don't always post if I am having a hard time translating my thoughts into a coherent post.

BabsB

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:00 pm
If my self-esteem is especially high that day I will respond to something I know / something I'm interested in.

Any other day I won't say squat. This place can be mean.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:35 pm
BabsB wrote:
If my self-esteem is especially high that day I will respond to something I know / something I'm interested in.

Any other day I won't say squat. This place can be mean.

That too. Ironically I'm one of the more modern, left-leaning women on this site, but if my opinion on something is traditional I don't bother posting.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:50 am
I try not to post when it involves Shalom bayis. We are only hearing one side of the story on this website and we don't really know what's going on. When people respond with negativity about someone's husband, it can taint the wifes perspective and can cause untold harm.

I do respond when it is about a recommendation, personal experience...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 3:51 pm
Several things:

1. I post if I have something constructive to say.

2. I post if I can say it kindly. Sometimes, I might post anyway if I really, really, strongly believe it's constructive even if it might not be what OP wants to hear or I can't exactly phrase it as neutrally as I'd like. This is a tough one. I try.

3. I don't post if it's something multiple other people have written. No need to beat a dead horse. I will use the like button in this situation. Sometimes, however, I do feel that it needs to be emphasized and say it again.

4. I don't post if my words aren't really adding anything that the hug and like buttons convey (I only use hug as intended).

5. I don't post if it's a public forum that doesn't have amother enabled. This is new; I think a male relative has identified me and I want to keep my privacy. I'm not sure what to do about this, because changing your username doesn't really help because it's easy to figure out the old one. Sad

6. If the thread isn't serious sometimes I'll post to make a joke if I feel it's a really good one. LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics