Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tuition dispute

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 10:25 pm
My 8th grade son switched schools this week. His first day in his new yeshiva was this past Sunday January 15. It seemed like a no brainer that we would pay for half a month tuition in January. When registering him and talking to the financial office they told us that their policy is to "only bill full months, no partial months". We discussed/argued about this for a few minutes but my dh quickly relented because: a) they call the shots and b) They were nice enough to take my kid mid year we didn't want to start off on a bad note. That being said I don't think it's fair. The financial office could have very easily put in a half months payment for January. Their policy should reflect fairness. What do you think?

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 11:29 pm
I think you should pay for a full month.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 11:31 pm
I take care of tuition in my office and usually it gets prorated. But then again if this is a school policy then that's it! No arguments.
Wishing your son good luck in the new place.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 11:32 pm
Don't dwell on it. Be thankful for what you have.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 11:33 pm
Every business is entitled to set up its own billing structure. Monthly seems normal for a school. It's not a drop-in babysitter. I agree it stinks for you, though, because tuition is a lot to swallow! Your DH is right, though - they call the shots, they took your kid, you have no say in what's fair here. Alas.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 3:41 am
I just did this, and paid a full months tuition to 2 places. My son was switched mid-December, and being that the new school was gracious enough to accept him mid-year and his old school did nothing wrong (it just wasn't the right place for him) I didn't argue. Suck it up and pay it. I hope your son is happy in his new school.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 6:54 am
tuition doesn't actually work like that. The tuition is annual divided by ten months. For example, for my kids school I pay tuition for august, september, october etc up to may. So by sukkos time I have paid 3 months tuition even though my kid has only had a couple of weeks of school.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 6:57 am
Doesn't matter what is fair here. You are lucky a school switched you mid-year, which raises red flags to begin with (unless you moved to someplace new). I'm sure there will be bigger and better battles to fight. It's not worth it to start up about this, especially since this sounds like (to me) a typical policy of most schools.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 2:43 pm
Also, I don't know about your school calendar, but ours ends mid-June, at which point it's easy to say mid-Jan through mid-Feb is 1 month, so it would be 5 months total. I don't actually know our school's policy for someone entering in the middle of the year, it really might be 6 months, but likely it would be a negotiated amount in one lump sum that it just then divided up in payments.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics