Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need specific feedback on Speech Therapy

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:36 am
My just turning 2 yo is only saying a couple of words. He understands no problem and is very bright. Could someone tell me what exactly would they do in early intervention to get him talking?

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:53 am
play games with words, what sound does the duck make exercises to make all the sounds etc. my son wasn't verbal at that age. bh now he talks. he had speech therapy

bsy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:11 am
We often start with requests. Try to get your child to say what he wants to get it. You can model the word for him to repeat (does not have to be accurate). For ex., "cup" and only give it when he makes an attempt to say something.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 2:30 pm
So, the question is, do I need to take him to early intervention? My dh is not convinced that he needs it, that we can do it ourselves - except that I have no time and our pediatrician just told me that by 3 he will no longer qualify for speech therapy so I should do it now. My dh just wants to hear exactly what they would do in speech therapy. He's very happy for him to go to early intervention but wants to make sure it's worth it etc.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 3:04 pm
Not sure where you live - but as far as I know, you don't GO to early intervention. The therapists come to your house. It is really an easily accessible, free service that the government provides. If you get a good therapist, I am sure your child will benefit. Your Dr. is correct that you should request an evaluation ASAP, as the EI period is only from age 0-3.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 3:35 pm
Yes, sorry, I mis-spoke - I know they come to me. DH just wants to know specifics - all of our time is torn this way and that so he wants to know whether it makes sense.

nylon

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 3:37 pm
Totally go to EI. It's much more accessible at that age than later, and you can't just do it yourself without a therapist guiding you. Therapists can also go to your child's daycare, though they prefer it if the parent can be there since they typically only get an hour a week and they want to be able to show you what to do.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 4:32 pm
Why don't you start with an evaluation so you can start the process. You can always refuse services if you think it is not worthwhile. You shouldn't need to be very 'tied down'. Most agencies have a large pool of therapists who are available different times of the day. You can request a time that works for your family. It will not be every day, more like twice a week. Most families actually enjoy when they have a therapist in the house. They entertain and educate their child in a meaningful way. Sometimes they let siblings interact as well and the parents get some quiet time. Many of my friends talk about all the laundry and cooking they get done when the therapist is working with their child.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 5:22 pm
I agree with all of the above (he's not in daycare). But I still need concrete things with which to convince my dh.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
Why don't you start with an evaluation so you can start the process. You can always refuse services if you think it is not worthwhile. You shouldn't need to be very 'tied down'. Most agencies have a large pool of therapists who are available different times of the day. You can request a time that works for your family. It will not be every day, more like twice a week. Most families actually enjoy when they have a therapist in the house. They entertain and educate their child in a meaningful way. Sometimes they let siblings interact as well and the parents get some quiet time. Many of my friends talk about all the laundry and cooking they get done when the therapist is working with their child.

As an EI therapist, I can assure you that using the child's therapy time to clean and cook is doing a disservice to the child and undermines the goals of the child's program. The session should be spent with the parent present to observe and learn the skills to maximize the carryover during the child's week. EI is a family training model. It is not a babysitting service.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
As an EI therapist, I can assure you that using the child's therapy time to clean and cook is doing a disservice to the child and undermines the goals of the child's program. The session should be spent with the parent present to observe and learn the skills to maximize the carryover during the child's week. EI is a family training model. It is not a babysitting service.

Agreed - I had no intention of using it as a babysitting service.

Anyone have any more examples of what a speech therapist would do with my ds?

jewish613

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:44 pm
What is holding your husband back? I don't think there is a cost. The therapist should come to your house when you and your child are home. If you and your husband don't find it to be helpful after a few months, you can reconsider.

Some of the things you may be able to do on your own once you are trained by a therapist in some techniques, but it sounds like you don't have time.

The therapist will probably play and interact with your child in a way that encourages speech and language. Will vary based in child's level and interests. May include sorting, matching, identifying colors, pretend play, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics