Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bais Yaakov tznius for young girls

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 3:04 pm
In a typical "Bais Yaakov" community, at what age do the girls stop wearing short sleeves and wearing knee socks?

Please also write where you are located (I'd guess bais yaakovs guidelines may differ in different places)

Thank you!

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 3:06 pm
1st grade or age 5 where I live

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 3:09 pm
I put my girls in tights the winter after they're potty trained. Not for frumkeit, rather so I won't have to fight it later. Also little girls are running, jumping and other stuff that causes their skirts to go up. I don't like seeing underwear.
My rule is that when you can consistently keep your skirt down, you could wear knee highs. (I expect that to be bad mitzvah or high school.)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
In a typical "Bais Yaakov" community, at what age do the girls stop wearing short sleeves and wearing knee socks?

Please also write where you are located (I'd guess bais yaakovs guidelines may differ in different places)

Thank you!

Brooklyn. Short sleeves and ankle socks until pre1a. Knee socks until 6th grade though recently this changed to 4th grade.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:26 am
Supposed to be 3. For some reason I've seen toleration up to 4/5 especially on very hot days.
Supposed to be 3 and 3.

Those are two schools I am familiar with, Parisian area.

mrsjay

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 8:42 am
Monsey ..our frum bais yaakov school allows short sleeves and short socks through pre school (5)

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 8:44 am
Do you mean what the schools require in school or what people do on non-school days?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:49 am
I don't think it's a matter of community, by now everyone does as they please.
My relatives kids go to bais yakkov in BP, the girls are 6&7, big chuncky girls. They still where short sleeves & socks....
I've realized there's no norm.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:33 pm
We start long sleeves by 5 or 6. But for my girls who were the youngest in their grade I started earlier because socially all their friends were in long. This was out of school.

I started knee socks when they started school at about 5.

In terms of school rule it starts in Primary.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:49 pm
Far Rockaway.
My daughter went to camp atara (day camp) in the summer. It seems like long sleeves start for most between the ages of 6-8 (girls finishing 1st-3rd) and knee socks a bit later than the long sleeves. Pretty sure official dress code of elbows and knee socks is not until bas mitzvah. Very happy w these rules- hate the creep to the right

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:07 pm
I live in Lakewood. We asked our Rabbi about this, and he said 5 or Primary (pre-1-a), whichever comes first.

Two of my girls turned 5 in the spring of kindergarten. One was very proud to start wearing long sleeves - I got her a summer wardrobe of cute little skirts and 3/4 sleeve tees and we were good to go. My other DD is very sensory, and I didn't drive myself or her nuts about it that first summer - once she was in a uniform, though, she adjusted to long sleeves quickly enough.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:11 pm
Can I hijack? What about pants. At what age do they start wearing skirts/dresses?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:16 pm
My girls stopped wearing pants in kindergarten (4 year old playgroup).

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:02 pm
Leggings or tights under a skirt instead of pants by 4/5 in my book. As long as ur daughter isn't socially clueless, she will likely request a big girl skirt by then so carpe diem! Would rather she request it than have a battle c"v.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:54 pm
My girls typically stop wearing pants around age 3.5 - 4, when entering kindergarten. We start knee socks and long sleeves when they start school (4.5 - 5). I've been told that this is the accepted Lakewood derech (for the most part).

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 4:09 pm
Tznius age it has to do with what you rav holds. Some hold at three you have to wear dresses and tights mainly Ultra Yeshivish/Chasidish.

I know others they wear short sleeves and Bobbie socks till five in some Chasidish schools and in yeshivish homes.
By six years old everyone agrees that you don't wear pants anymore.
max till fourth-fifth grade girls wear socks.
It's best you ask the school you want to send to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children