Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Visiting day

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 5:06 pm
so camp just started and it is visiting day already on sunday ... I feel bad because I already drive up to new york to drop dd off and to pick her up from camp ... how could I possibly go a third time ...

sad because I know how happy it would make her ... and I would love to see her in "action" and I miss my baby ... Crying

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 5:09 pm
Not all campers get visitors. Can you call her, at least, on that day? Or send a package? Those are choshuv things for campers. Or maybe she can team up and go out with a friend who has visitors . . .

On the other hand, camp prob. has some nice activities for kids whose families can't come. I know the years I send kids, their camps did.

Green, is she staying all summer or just one month?

luckyme

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 5:29 pm
If you can possibly do it....go! You will not regret it. We've all heard that kids are only young once, but it's worth repeating.

I've had this dilemma a few times with my kids and the many times I couldn't go, I always felt so bad later for missing out. Never once did I regret going though, even when it was really a hike (300+ miles)!

But, if you can't manage it for whatever reason..sanity counts, too...don't beat yourself up. Your daughter will understand especially if you make sure to let her know how disappointed you are.

Once I asked a woman I knew from the community who was going, to give my daughter a hug from me and tell her that I wished I could be there. Later she said it was "sooo embarrassing", but I could tell she felt good about it.

Hugs!

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 6:12 pm
I think it is unrealistic to travel far for visiting day. I once drove with a friend from Detroit to the Laurentian mountains near Montreal to attend visitors day but I think that anything more than 4hrs drive is too much to expect. My kids are staff and maybe some parents visit staff but I'll settle for a phone call.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 7:07 pm
I was staff one summer and one of the visiting days, my Shabobs family came up and I remember being really appreciative! It wasn't for very long, but still.

But Green, none of this applies to you! You're too far, and anyway, you're prob. coming to take her home at the end of camp. You can't do everything.

Does your daughter have other family that can come up?

Tefila

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 7:39 pm
I heard though should verify that Montreal boys cgi overnight has no visiting day the first month it's a new thing Confused

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 8:38 pm
well when my other dd's went to camp they also did not have a visiting day ... and yes they will treat the kids with no visitors to ice cream or something and I will call ... although the trek to town is a Puke long one where last year she got too car sick ... anyway ... for me it is too long a drive 1000 miles back and forth - she is there for one month and I will be picking her up again ... so ... can't do it ... no way I finally came to normalcy on wednesday after the long drive home ...

hey dd wrote me a letter and said she is famous ... apparently she is having too much fun and one of the men made a comment about the pioneers being real sports about hiking in the rain and mud - with a specific girl (he had no idea who) really having FUN ... so she got up and bowed ... hey I guess she is my kid Wink

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 11:13 am
okay ... so I got to speak to her on the phone ... and she totally understands ... we will see each other soon enough ... but yes how much fun it would be to see her and the bunkbeds and the girls in camp while busy ... oh well - she is at least having FUN this year ... a group of out of towners will be going out for pizza later ...

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 11:22 am
Tefila wrote:
I heard though should verify that Montreal boys cgi overnight has no visiting day the first month it's a new thing Confused
They don't, and it's my son's first year in camp. Surprised

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 12:03 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
They don't, and it's my son's first year in camp. Surprised

can you at least call ... Scratching Head
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics