Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
How to watch free movies online
Previous  1  2

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:46 am
WastingTime wrote:
Does watchfree take you to different sites. If they ask you to sign in is it valid?

yes, they have hyperlinks and external links. but most links dont ask you to sign in.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 6:48 am
Frumdoc wrote:
This. Online free movies are illegally copied and broadcast, hence the higher risk of viruses, because people who put these up on websites are more likely to be the kinds of people who try to send viruses/ trojans etc.

If you choose to watch stuff, bevakasha, but maybe you should be aware that there is an actual aveira involved in this type of watching, and choose another method.

DH and I often watch all kinds of fun and legal stuff on YouTube, from classical music concerts from the 1970s, children's TV shows from our youth, natural world shows. All genuinely freely available and legal, and a nice way to relax together at the end of the day.

It is very sad that people are more concerned about your potential spiritual decline from the content than the act of stealing which is an aveira.

Not necessarily true any more that this is stealing. IP law is forever evolving and providers are recognizing that watching movies/sports etc on line without paying/sunscribing is part of the market now. It's so much a reality that they need to find other ways to finance. Just saying.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 7:04 am
Just another post of support. I have never been "too frum for TV", so I can't refer to that. However, I do lead a busy life and I totally get the need to wind down at the end of the day. I think it is perfectly fine - you can lead a great spiritual life, watching a bit of TV or a movie here and there should not have any effect on your spirituality. If you are on a downward path - watching TV won't change a thing. On the contrary it can help you deal with your daily life and make you sane and happy enough to find spirituality in your current life.
Regarding the legal issues there are various halachic and legal opinions. Watching something that someone else uploaded illegally is not necessarily an illegal act.
Check out watchseries and primewire as well.
Also Netflix has come to Israel - although not free, you can pay as low as 7.99$ a month for a subscription.
Don't worry, you're normal. There are plenty of Torah observant women like you, they're just not posting today. Don't take the bashing here to heart.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 7:29 am
I didnt read all the replies but hope this is helpful.
I live in israel and I watch tv shows on the site tvmuse.com

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 7:44 am
I definitely recommend buying a netflix subscription. (or try it free for a month) You can use hola to watch netflix's out of israel movies too once you have a subscription. (hola makes your computer think it is in a different country, netflix has a different list of movies and shows for each country) You can find free movies online but its a pain in the neck and you will likely download viruses and see lots of horrible ads. Quality is often poor too, movies keep stopping and starting.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:35 am
I'm happy to see that other people also struggling with this issue. I used to watch 24/6 literally . Now I stopped Bh bz. But at night when need to unwind a little I'll watch a little. Things like Hell's Kitchen , the goldbergers , fresh off the boat , modern family. Nothing dirty just a little unwinding! And I constantly feel guilty abt it.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:15 pm
Is Hulu free on phone as well or only one month free?

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:30 pm
A few thought.

Watching a screen is really not a great way to unwind if you want to fall asleep any time soon. The type of light/stimulation is not good for your brain to relax, as many studies show.

As someone who is FTB and occasionally watches very clean stuff, I will tell you I struggle mainly with wasting time. Hence when I see your screen name, OP, I usually view it as a message min hashamayim to go to something more useful!

You might find some interesting, entertaining, and inspiring speakers onTorah Anytime. You do need to create an account but I don't believe there's any risk of viruses. There's also Simpletoremember.com.

I download shiurim on Shalom bayis, parenting, parsha, yom tov etc & sometimes I watch the speaker, but more often I listen while working in the kitchen or as I'm relaxing in my bed & eventually falling asleep.

Another thing I will tell you is that I once followed a link here to someone's blog about her abusive husband. I still get horrible images popping into my head when I am trying to daven and I regret that very much.

I know you said you don't daven. Do you even just talk to Hashem in your own words and ask for help with something big or small? Or do you consider yourself orthoprax & expect to raise your children in a chareidi environment while being totally OTD inside?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:45 pm
I can't believe the posts on this thread.OP did not ask to be judged, she did not ask for help to stop watching a bit of tv here and there. She did not show any signs of addiction, dangerous behavior or even signs of breaking halacha. She simply asked for help watching movies for free online. That might not be ok for some of you, on your community or your search, but this is perfectly according to many other shitot drachim and rabbanim, more importantly it's fine with OP.
She did not ask for your advice on how to stop watching.
I don't know how she really felt about her spirituality and connection to Hashem before but I'm quite certain all your posts just made her feel bad about herself. You might disagree with her choice, but it's not assur just different than yours. Be mentches and bite your tongues rather than make this woman feel bad.
My mother taught me that if I have nothing constructive to say I just shouldn't say anything - that's great advice.
I've been on this site for more than 8 years and I don't remember one single thread that got me so worked up as this. I can't believe nobody else spoke up.
I'm ashamed to be part of this group today.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:20 pm
Is downloading movies online or watching them online counted as stealing?

Answer: 

Many authorities maintain that movies or music that are copyrighted, and which are protected under the law, may not be downloaded for free.

This can be because of principle ownership of copyright, and according to others it derives from additional halachic principles, such as deriving benefit at another’s loss, the obligation to abide by the laws of the land, and others. The question of actual «theft» will depend on the respective rationale; many authorities do not consider copyright as being actual «ownership,» making it hard to speak of «theft» per se.

Yet, as noted most authorities are stringent, but some are lenient. One should certainly be stringent where the owner is Jewish.

Best wishes.

http://dinonline.org/2013/11/2.....ovie/

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:54 pm
Quote:
she did not ask for help to stop watching a bit of tv here and there
Probably there should be a spin-off. But OP did mention she's been sliding religiously. She could have just said, where can I access movies on-line? But she chose to mention that she's part of a religious community that doesn't watch (in fact, I think she seemed to say she only watches when her DH isn't home... ) so to some of us that sounds a bit like a cry for help. Perhaps to others it doesn't.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
wow I think you need to work out some issues between you and god
I think as a from site you should not feel so free stating all your bad habits
and no one gives a hoot
just strikes me wrong

perhaps if you would feel fulfillment from the right things you wont turn to movies.. just saying

Okay- I forgot about this thread and am now going through it.
I think I need to clarify myself. I don’t condone stealing. My comment was in response to that I don’t like preachy condescending people. That is taking into consideration that typed comments (especially from someone you don’t know) lose the emotion on the way--- which is always a problem with email--- so the reader reads it however she feels. I was feeling under attack, which may or may not be.

In any event- no I don’t steal from the supermarket. I just felt like this is different. I am obviously not going to ask my Rav a sheila on this, but there are so many factors involved here-who am I actually stealing from? Do they really care to stop all these free movie sites? Are they Jewish? I’m just saying I am not so sure this is halachically considered stealing. It kind of reminds me how when we were younger we would dub our CD’s onto tapes so for whichever reason sometimes. Techinically that is also stealing. If you want a tape you are supposed to buy the tape in addition to the disc. But somehow it seemed not so bad. Maybe I am deluding myself – any thoughts anyone?

It's not true no one gives a hoot- you did Wink
And what do you mean not feel so free stating bad habits? That I wanted to watch movies on bogus sites? If its such a frum site where this is uncalled for how come I got so many responses.
Look people are on a spectrum of bechira and tzidkus. Everyone has what to work on. I wish us all hatzlacha on our journeys, but I don't think putting people down gets anyone anywhere.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 1:55 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I can't believe the posts on this thread.OP did not ask to be judged, she did not ask for help to stop watching a bit of tv here and there. She did not show any signs of addiction, dangerous behavior or even signs of breaking halacha. She simply asked for help watching movies for free online. That might not be ok for some of you, on your community or your search, but this is perfectly according to many other shitot drachim and rabbanim, more importantly it's fine with OP.
She did not ask for your advice on how to stop watching.
I don't know how she really felt about her spirituality and connection to Hashem before but I'm quite certain all your posts just made her feel bad about herself. You might disagree with her choice, but it's not assur just different than yours. Be mentches and bite your tongues rather than make this woman feel bad.
My mother taught me that if I have nothing constructive to say I just shouldn't say anything - that's great advice.
I've been on this site for more than 8 years and I don't remember one single thread that got me so worked up as this. I can't believe nobody else spoke up.
I'm ashamed to be part of this group today.

Wow! Thanks for the validation!!!
Although I think in theory it can be fine to watch movies here and there, I think each one has to explore this issue by themselves because for some it can be really bad. But I also feel like people are blowing this way out of proportion as you mentioned there is no addiction etc.
I am not so sure I even want to watch movies. Since this thread I watched a total of one. It was just something I was exploring.
Thanks a lot for understanding...more on other posts-- missed lots of interesting stuff!

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
A few thought.

Watching a screen is really not a great way to unwind if you want to fall asleep any time soon. The type of light/stimulation is not good for your brain to relax, as many studies show.

As someone who is FTB and occasionally watches very clean stuff, I will tell you I struggle mainly with wasting time. Hence when I see your screen name, OP, I usually view it as a message min hashamayim to go to something more useful!

You might find some interesting, entertaining, and inspiring speakers onTorah Anytime. You do need to create an account but I don't believe there's any risk of viruses. There's also Simpletoremember.com.

I download shiurim on Shalom bayis, parenting, parsha, yom tov etc & sometimes I watch the speaker, but more often I listen while working in the kitchen or as I'm relaxing in my bed & eventually falling asleep.

Another thing I will tell you is that I once followed a link here to someone's blog about her abusive husband. I still get horrible images popping into my head when I am trying to daven and I regret that very much.

I know you said you don't daven. Do you even just talk to Hashem in your own words and ask for help with something big or small? Or do you consider yourself orthoprax & expect to raise your children in a chareidi environment while being totally OTD inside?

Thanks for this. I actually found it a great mixture of concern and advice and didn’t think it was at all preachy…but was a bit confused by the last paragraph. Off the derech?!?!?! All I said was that I have a hard time davening, am not holding in the best place and feel like watching movies. I keep kosher (ok maybe I am a bit lax in how I check my rice!), shabbos, taharas hamishpacha and everything else as best as I can. I am just struggling a bit--- goodness!!!!
I don’t know what orthoprax is nor do I care, but no I am not that. I am frum Jewish wife and mother who has some struggles. Cant imagine I’m alone in the world…

Of course I daven sometimes- especially candle lighting, at the mikva or other times that facilitate the mood. I mumble through brachos in the morning usually and try to mumble some sort of benching too. I only mentioned about not having watched movies in years because I always feel so behind with technology etc. Like everyone out there must know how to watch free movies, but I didn’t because I hadn’t tried to. So I mentioned it. Whatever it was stupid but a cry to help would go to my husband, maybe a friend, maybe my old therapist. Not to say I don’t appreciate helpful comments…

Now that we got that out of the way I have a few more things to tell all the lovely women who are unwinding by reading about my trials and tribulations (that was a joke!)

1- You’re spot on about my screenname. I feel like I only go on imamother to waste time—err---unwind. But getting bored of it anyway. Especially it’s depressing to read all the nisyanos people have!
2- Someone mentioned if I have SB issues. B”H I have a wonderful husband and a lovely marriage. I only watch things when dh isn’t around for a few very simple reasons. Firstly my husband is an avreich, so he wouldn’t exactly want to watch with—nor would I let him!! Secondly, he’s not home that long in the evenings. When he comes home at 10 PM I wouldn’t feel right saying “sorry honey, I gotta watch this now good night!”. And yes, he doesn’t approve, eventhough he knows about it.
3- You're also right about watching movies being a really bad idea before bed. Im going to fill you in on what happened.
On Thursday night I decided to try out some of these sites. I ended up with this teenager romance movie (was a book first of course) called A Walk To Remember. I absolutely loved it ¬– but I stayed up late watching the whole thing as I was invited out meals on Shabbos and didn’t have much to do Friday, figured I would take a nap in the morning if needed. Anyway- I went to bed after one and I COULD NOT SLEEP! The movie kept playing through my head all through the night. It was the craziest thing ever! I have watch TV shows (been watching shtisel) and parts of movies (usually ones that I had seen previously) many times. But this was the first time I watched an ENTIRE new movie in years. It was really strange—ever happen to anyone??!?.
Needless to say I was a mess on Friday eventhough I napped it was hard to feel regular. It bothered me because I got so much enjoyment from watching the movie--- it was so sweet. Maybe there’s a part of me that wants to be in highschool again or something, don’t know!!! Maybe if I would keep watching movies all the time this would wear off but I am not so sure I am interested in that. Maybe if I watched in the morning it wouldn’t have happened either but whatever.

So maybe you all have a point, I should stay away from movies. And this is something I will explore on my own. I in the meantime anyway have borrowed and ordered many books, as I think there is a big difference between books and movies---even if the books will also possibly get in my head at night ( I really hope not! )

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:10 am
maybe therapy will help the emptiness youre feeling? truth is I feel the same as you, though I have no option of watching because my pc is blocked...

Sarah f

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 3:09 am
123movies.com
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics