Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kriah issues 3rd grader
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
Can you tell me more? did the child that received help have issues in English as well?

What is the controversy around vision therapy?

The child who was helped had a VERY VERY hard time learning to read both Hebrew and English too. When she finally was able to read, whenever she read for more than a few minutes, she complained of blurred vision for a few minutes after reading. I guess her muscles didn't know how to readjust from focusing near to far.

The one who was not helped learned to read easily but constantly complained of headaches from reading. I think he had a bit of relief while he was doing the therapy but now that he's done the program, he still has terrible headaches from reading.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 10:01 pm
seeker wrote:
I could be wrong but I think the "controversy," as with many such controversies, is really a breakdown in communication and understanding.

Stage 1: Child or several children with learning difficulties is/are identified with a visual convergence/tracking/muscle deficit, receives vision therapy, and becomes a better student since visual tasks are now easier.
Stage 2: Parents/teachers begin to rave that vision therapy amazingly solved their learning problems. Schools/parents/teachers/friends begin to recommend it to everyone.
Stage 3: Not everyone's learning issues are in fact related to visual issues, and some children who do have visual issues also have other issues that need to be resolved before their performance improves significantly. Thus, many people, having heard that vision therapy is a miracle, try vision therapy and do not receive a miracle.
Stage 4: Science/statistics cynics look at a collection of all results together without analyzing any individual, and conclude that vision therapy is not effective because many people did not receive their miracle.
Stage 5: People who did have good experiences disagree.
Thus, we have a controversy.

LOL
Ok new, very interesting breakthru here tonight. I noticed when studying Chumash with her, shes quick in responding if I don't make her say the question outloud. In other words, if I let her read the question in her head, and tell her to answer me outloud, she does it at a very quick speed.
So I tested it with other (unfamiliar) reading questions. She is able to read, translate, and respond to the question (I told her to answer in English to keep it simple) in a very short response time. I know this is true since she has no problem keeping up with written Hebrew testing at school, which is unusual since she is so far behind in Kriah. I asked her if she was aware of what was going on, and she said that it comes into her head quickly , but somehow getting it out takes her longer. She said when its coming into her head, its the only thing, but when shes saying it, theres a lot of other things in her brain so it takes her longer. shock Again, remember she is a very intelligent child.

So what do I do with this information now? I'm pretty sure its a processing thing, but have no idea where to run with this..

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
I work for an optometrist who prescribes prism glasses just for this reason.
Yes there is a lot or controversy with them but I have seem many children being helped by them.
My own kids wear them.
It doesn't help everyone but it sounds like in this case it would.

Let me know if you want his number.

His name is Dr. Ben Nayor in Valhalla, NY the number is 914-345-1490.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
His name is Dr. Ben Nayor in Valhalla, NY the number is 914-345-1490.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you, I took her to the eye dr yesterday and he didn't see anything unusual. Not sure what to do next

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Thank you, I took her to the eye dr yesterday and he didn't see anything unusual. Not sure what to do next

A regular eye doctor is not usually trained to test for these type of vision issues.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:06 am
amother wrote:

A regular eye doctor would not help. They help with vision not with understanding what is on the paper and not with balance.
Prisms dont help with sight they help with how the brain and eyes work together to understand what is on the page,

I really think in your daughters situation my boss could help her. I have seen it so many times.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children