Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Meal planning for woman on bed rest

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:16 am
I was asked to prepare Shabbos food for a woman on strict bed rest. Her husband leaves for work very early and comes home an hour or two before zeman. He is out of the house for 9 to 10 hours on Friday. He doesn't have the time or inclination to do anything on the kitchen except turn on the crockpot and oven.

I can figure out everything but chulent. Normally, I soak the beans on Thurs night and saute everything Friday morning on the stove. Then, I cook it on high in a crock pot about 6 hours. I need to drop off the food by Wed before. I use dried and soaked beans, meat, barley, garlic, onion, and spices.

Should I partially cook and freeze?

Should I partially cook and leave in the fridge?
Will the beans get too soggy sitting in liquid for 4 days? Is 9 hours too long on high? What setting?

Should I fully cook and freeze?

Should I fully cook and refrigerate?

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:24 am
I would assemble everything in a crock pot without water. Keep it in the fridge Wed-Fri. Tell him to fill it with water (or beer Smile) and turn it on Low before Shabbos. It will cook all right overnight.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:26 am
Do you need to drop it off on Wednesday because they ask you to or because of your own schedule? I would want to drop off everything except the chulent on Wednesday. While you are there on Wednesday, pick up their crockpot. then prepare it as usual on Friday and bring the crockpot over before Shabbos. Who prepares chulent on Wednesday? Sorry I can't answer the question you really asked. Tizku Limitzvos!!

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:28 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:
I would assemble everything in a crock pot without water. Keep it in the fridge Wed-Fri. Tell him to fill it with water (or beer Smile) and turn it on Low before Shabbos. It will cook all right overnight.

Are you joking about beer in chulent? Thank you for your answer. I didn't think about not adding water or cooking it on Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:30 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:

This. Send it raw and assembled and include a plastic cup with a note of how many plastic cups full of water need to be added. Tongue Out
Whenever he puts it up will be fine. I cook my cholent on low for a total of just 20 hours as we don't like it overdone.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:30 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:

this is a good idea - just make sure the meat is fresh enough to stay good that long raw.
The potatoes would be very brown, but who cares? It's chulent!

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:31 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Do you need to drop it off on Wednesday because they ask you to or because of your own schedule? I would want to drop off everything except the chulent on Wednesday. While you are there on Wednesday, pick up their crockpot. then prepare it as usual on Friday and bring the crockpot over before Shabbos. Who prepares chulent on Wednesday? Sorry I can't answer the question you really asked. Tizku Limitzvos!!

It is their schedule. The husband is not available on Thursdays at all to open the door. She wants chulent.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:32 am
Use red potatoes and put in a hunk of frozen meat so they'll be OK in the fridge during that time. You can put the garlic and salt right on top of the meat to further preserve it.

trixx

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 1:02 am
Squishy wrote:
Are you joking about beer in chulent? Thank you for your answer. I didn't think about not adding water or cooking it on Shabbos.

You can put beer in cholent, it's a "secret ingredient". Dh did it last time, apparently came out amazing

Also it has to be cooked enough before shab that meat isn't raw. Not sure if I misunderstood previous posters. He should plug in Fri morning not erev shab

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 1:18 am
trixx wrote:
You can put beer in cholent, it's a "secret ingredient". Dh did it last time, apparently came out amazing

Also it has to be cooked enough before shab that meat isn't raw. Not sure if I misunderstood previous posters. He should plug in Fri morning not erev shab

The food has to be either at least 2/3rds cooked OR fully raw before shabbos. That's the halacha.

lefty1

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 5:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
The food has to be either at least 2/3rds cooked OR fully raw before shabbos. That's the halacha.

I thought the opinions are 1/3 or 1/2 cooked before shabbat?
or as you said, raw

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:33 am
lefty1 wrote:
I thought the opinions are 1/3 or 1/2 cooked before shabbat?
or as you said, raw

I also learned raw or 2/3.

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:55 am
ra_mom wrote:
Use red potatoes and put in a hunk of frozen meat so they'll be OK in the fridge during that time. You can put the garlic and salt right on top of the meat to further preserve it.

The wife doesn't like potatoes.

summer0808

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 10:38 am
have him turn on the crockpot on low late Thursday night or Friday morning before work!

I soak the beans on Thursday and turn on the crockpot right before I go to sleep Thursday night! This is perfect for the immersion type crockpot. The one on a 'hotplate' type doesnt necessarily work this way. Check what kind of crockpot they have.

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 11:15 am
Squishy wrote:

Not joking. Beer is great in cholent, and helps soften tough stew cuts. We do it all the time.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 11:20 am
Beer, coke and wine tenderize and flavor meat well. They can all be added to cholent with great results. I would not suggest using them all together, but I have seen many surprises in cholents. (Cinnamon, ginger...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus