Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
New Dining Room Table - Table Pad

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 1:07 pm
What type of table pad would you suggest for a Dining Room Table? Any recommendations for places in NY to get them from? TY.

SmileUrJewish

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 3:00 pm
We bought Berger table pads through "The Table Pad Company" and had a very easy experience. They shipped it to us and it was a great quality product. If I remember correctly, they had a database of tables so that they already had the correct measurements for our table on file. Good luck!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 5:15 pm
I recommend glass over the table, so that you can enjoy the look of the table at all times, while protecting the furniture.

cm

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 5:39 pm
We use flannel-backed vinyl pads that you can buy wherever tablecloths are sold, in several different sizes for use with or without table leaves. They won't take the place of using a trivet, but otherwise are as useful as custom pads at a fraction of the price.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 5:42 pm
Ra mom, do u have any place to recommend for glass covers?
Thanks

MyKidsRQte

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 5:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I recommend glass over the table, so that you can enjoy the look of the table at all times, while protecting the furniture.

I have a glass, which lets people see the design, but keep in mind glass can break

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
Ra mom, do u have any place to recommend for glass covers?
Thanks

Boro Park Glass on 14th Avenue. I've used them a number of times over the years for various pieces. They were initially recommended to me by the furniture store that we like to use.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 6:28 pm
thanks, do u have a general idea of how much they cost? for a smaller size dining room table?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:
thanks, do u have a general idea of how much they cost? for a smaller size dining room table?

Kitchen table about $135-$165, dining about double that. Depends on size. And on curves around the edges. It's all made custom to exact fit and shape.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:21 pm
SmileUrJewish wrote:
We bought Berger table pads through "The Table Pad Company" and had a very easy experience. They shipped it to us and it was a great quality product. If I remember correctly, they had a database of tables so that they already had the correct measurements for our table on file. Good luck!

Any cheaper options?

Quote online was over $500, does that make sense? Although, it does look really really nice

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:28 pm
cm wrote:
We use flannel-backed vinyl pads that you can buy wherever tablecloths are sold, in several different sizes for use with or without table leaves. They won't take the place of using a trivet, but otherwise are as useful as custom pads at a fraction of the price.

Do you mean something like this? http://www.matouk.com/table/al.....3oDmw

SmileUrJewish

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 2:30 pm
So sorry- my delivery said it was from that company but looking back through more records I see that it was actually from this website: http://www.tablepadstore.com.

We ordered from them a few years ago, but I remember thinking how outrageously expensive table pads can be and how so many companies seem shady and try ripping you off. I absolutely did not get that feeling when I spoke to these people on the phone. We bought a beautiful magnetic set with a fake wood finish and velvet bottom that includes two inserts for table leaves and the total was $239. This didn't matter to me because I live OOT and they had free shipping, but it looks like they actually are based in NY.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 4:28 pm
SmileUrJewish wrote:
So sorry- my delivery said it was from that company but looking back through more records I see that it was actually from this website: http://www.tablepadstore.com.

We ordered from them a few years ago, but I remember thinking how outrageously expensive table pads can be and how so many companies seem shady and try ripping you off. I absolutely did not get that feeling when I spoke to these people on the phone. We bought a beautiful magnetic set with a fake wood finish and velvet bottom that includes two inserts for table leaves and the total was $239. This didn't matter to me because I live OOT and they had free shipping, but it looks like they actually are based in NY.

Thanks so much!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 5:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I did this and it is gorgeous (I have a new, high quality Italian table) and so practical. It did cost 3-4 times as much as pads would though. An advantage to me is that my table doesn't open in the middle (it opens from the ends), so I could do one big piece of glass (and I had matching pieces made out of lucite for the 2 ends when opened).

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:35 pm
I had glass for a while but it did crack and it caused big scratches on the table surface. Now I have table pads that I bought from Mr. Steinmetz. He comes to you and measures the table and has lots of colors and finishes to choose from. He was a pleasure to deal with. My table with two leaves and custom cut corners was $400.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:30 pm
I had glass and it accumulates lots of dust underneath which will bother you if you are particular .... I had to remove the glass Few times a year to clean the dust which was a pain and over time the glass would chip off small pieces and scratch the table .... so I switched to table pads recently ......

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:43 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I did this and it is gorgeous (I have a new, high quality Italian table) and so practical. It did cost 3-4 times as much as pads would though. An advantage to me is that my table doesn't open in the middle (it opens from the ends), so I could do one big piece of glass (and I had matching pieces made out of lucite for the 2 ends when opened).

I agree. I have it for 11 years and really enjoy it. I move the glass over a bit every few weeks to get to the sides and fully remove and clean it once a year. But we don't usually eat at the table without a tablecloth.
In the kitchen we move it much more often (it's one piece) but still love the wood and glass look. We have it on dressers too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics