Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nervous about Job Interview

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 10:34 pm
I have my first job interview in a long while. It's for a really big international law firm. Aside from the regular jitters and doubts, I am extremely concerned about the hand-shaking that is expected. I will be interviewed by a male lawyer.

Do you shake hands with men at work?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
I have my first job interview in a long while. It's for a really big international law firm. Aside from the regular jitters and doubts, I am extremely concerned about the hand-shaking that is expected. I will be interviewed by a male lawyer.

Do you shake hands with men at work?

Years ago, I got a heter from a prominent rav in Brooklyn to shake hands if offered to me first, but I could not offer my hand first. So I do this.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 10:53 pm
Good Luck!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 11:33 pm
I shake hands when one extends their hand to me. I don't remember if I ever asked a shayla. I'm also interviewing. I wouldn't risk a job offer over it. Good luck!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 2:51 pm
Yes, if they extend their hand, I will shake. Many rabbis say it isn't a problem at all.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 2:52 pm
BH the interview went well.

I want to write a Thank you email, I've never done that before, any tips?

I only have contact information for the HR head and not for the interviewing lawyers.

Any ideas what I could write?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 2:54 pm
Dear so and so,

Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me today. I really enjoyed meeting with you and learning more about your practice. I particularly like abc. While I realize you have many applicants I believe I'm a good candidate because of xyz and would appreicate your consideration for this position.

Sincerely,
Amother

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 3:01 pm
Email the hr manager thanking her. Ask for the email addresses for all the lawyers so you can send them each an email as well

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:09 am
I was still hesitating whether to send a TY email as the HR Manager had told me I would hear from them by the end of the month. In the meantime, she called yesterday and offered me the job! (YAY!)

Any tips from amothers working in the non-Jewish sector regarding taking days off for Yomtov? It's a part time job for the foreseeable future so Shabbos shouldn't be an issue.

cm

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
I was still hesitating whether to send a TY email as the HR Manager had told me I would hear from them by the end of the month. In the meantime, she called yesterday and offered me the job! (YAY!)

Any tips from amothers working in the non-Jewish sector regarding taking days off for Yomtov? It's a part time job for the foreseeable future so Shabbos shouldn't be an issue.

Hooray!!!

Plan, plan, plan in advance for yom tov. Put in your time-off request (or whatever you need to do to change your schedule) as early as possible. Plan your work so you complete your tasks ahead of time if a holiday is coming up. Let your boss know what you are doing to plan for your absences.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:38 am
Congrats on getting the job. I would still send a thank you note thanking them for their time. You want to be in good standing with these lawyers as you continue to work with or for them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics