Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady takes advantage

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 5:42 am
she comes 10-15 minutes late every day and leaves 5-10 minutes early as well. that adds up to around an hour and a half a week.
she does a decent job and she's very sensitive so I'm scared to say anything but I feel like she's abusing her rights.
one time she quit because of something I said and I'm not willing to risk losing her again.
am I a loser? my husband thinks I am, in this area!

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 6:15 am
you are not a loser. I pay my cleaning lady by the hour - but I'm not home to see when she arrives and leaves - so I have no idea when she comes and goes. I don't really care so long as I'm happy with her work. Objectively the tasks she does should take 3 hours. If shes moving quickly she could probably do them quicker - and that's her privilege. I'm happy with her work. In other words - although she charges an hourly rate, I pay for for the job, and not the hours spent. It would be a different story if I needed her at certain time if she was also doing childcare or something where it would create a problem for me if she was late.

joss3

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 6:41 am
It depends.
If she is leaving and there are still dishes in the sink or laundry to fold, it's a problem and you should talk to her.
If her responsibilities are done then let it go, or give her more things to do.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 6:55 am
I'm responding as a former cleaning lady.

I'm not sure why you are in this situation. If you're paying hourly, don't you say at the end, without a deal, so you were here from this time, to this time, which is 3.5 hours, which is $x. If you're paying her for the job she's doing, it's up to her how quick she can work, and it's her luck that she can work quickly.
Regarding finishing early - if she's finished all the tasks you've set for her, that's her luck. Sometimes I would finish early too. It's physical work, some days I had more energy, others, less so.

It may just be a habit that she's formed. It doesn't make it right, I believe it to be a cleaning lady's responsibility to come on time and stay the duration. If this timing bothers you very much, and you are not able to see it as the previous poster said (that although you're paying an hourly rate, you are also paying for the job) - then I believe its your right to pay her for the time that she is by you. It's her right to be bothered by it, see you as counting your dimes and decide to leave you. I do suggest that you're honest, though, and do mention it if it continues to bother you. However, I do want to mention, that if you can tip, it's very much appreciated and makes the place a more pleasant one for her to work at.

I want to point out that cleaning ladies work very hard for their money! It's not an easy job, and I know, for me, when I was tipped or when I was told to keep the change, it was pleasant. I felt good, I felt appreciated. Even though I was paid well by the hour, it was tough work. Sometimes I felt resentful when I had more energy to do a quicker job, because I'd earn less and I really, really needed the money! I got around that by understanding that I'm offering a service, and part of that is doing more work in less time. My advice to you is to understand that she's offering you a service and that is what you're paying for. I don't believe it's right for her to come late, leave early, and still ask for the extra money, but do try to understand, it's tough work. Nobody is perfect, and if you're happy with her, it may be worth your while to try to see a full picture.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 7:46 am
I usually allow my cleaning lady to leave 5-10 minutes early and still pay her for the full time if all the work has been completed and I don't have a small task for her to do. It's very rare for her to stay the full time.

However, my previous cleaning lady would cut the hours and still demand full pay without completing the basic work. She's supposed to be by me three hours a day. She would count her time from when she would ring my bell. 25 minutes before the three hours was done she would go to the bathroom for 20 minutes. After that she would put on her coat and ask to be paid. The work was obviously not completed. I don't think she had stomache issues. She would use the bathroom when she needed. She was by my mother and didn't do that. She only did it by me. I was getting frustrated with half the laundry unfolded or 1 of the 3 bathrooms not cleaned. Work that should have taken 2 1/2 hours easily (if working fast, And not distracted on a cell even 2 hours.) after 3 hours was still not completed. If I would ask her to finish the task (there's 5 minutes left) she would say it's three hours.

After my mom gave her a raise she started coming 15 minutes late and taking a half hour-40 minute lunch break. If you're working 11-2 make sure to eat lunch or s snack before. You don't show up 11:15/20, by noon stop for a 40 minute lunch break and before 2 stop for a snack and then bill for a full 3 hours.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 7:59 am
I told our housekeeper--I need the full amount of hours every week. If you have to come 15 minutes late, I need you to come 15 minutes early another day or stay 15 minutes late one day. I really really need the full twenty five hours a week.
It worked for us.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
I usually allow my cleaning lady to leave 5-10 minutes early and still pay her for the full time if all the work has been completed and I don't have a small task for her to do. It's very rare for her to stay the full time.

However, my previous cleaning lady would cut the hours and still demand full pay without completing the basic work. She's supposed to be by me three hours a day. She would count her time from when she would ring my bell. 25 minutes before the three hours was done she would go to the bathroom for 20 minutes. After that she would put on her coat and ask to be paid. The work was obviously not completed. I don't think she had stomache issues. She would use the bathroom when she needed. She was by my mother and didn't do that. She only did it by me. I was getting frustrated with half the laundry unfolded or 1 of the 3 bathrooms not cleaned. Work that should have taken 2 1/2 hours easily (if working fast, And not distracted on a cell even 2 hours.) after 3 hours was still not completed. If I would ask her to finish the task (there's 5 minutes left) she would say it's three hours.

After my mom gave her a raise she started coming 15 minutes late and taking a half hour-40 minute lunch break. If you're working 11-2 make sure to eat lunch or s snack before. You don't show up 11:15/20, by noon stop for a 40 minute lunch break and before 2 stop for a snack and then bill for a full 3 hours.

Sad that's so frustrating! The money that goes to a housekeeper is carefully accounted for and it's really upsetting when they take advantage and the money you carefully set aside goes to a poor job.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 8:04 am
My cleaning lady regularly comes 10-15 minutes late. She is excellent and worth every penny. I will not rock the boat and will keep my mouth shut. Another thing to consider is do any of us really work every minute of our jobs? We never browse the internet or shmooze on the phone? I'm not going to be so makpid about something that I myself am guilty of.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 8:09 am
If she's getting everything you want done in the time she's there I would let it go. I pay my cleaning lady by the hour but I've had her for a few years now and she's become more efficient so the same job that used to take her 3 hours now takes her 2.5. I still pay her for 3 because I don't want to 'punish' her by paying less and I know if I hired someone knew it would take more than 3 at least in the beginning.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 8:38 am
I had someone who was officially working 15 hours, but she rarely stayed 3 hours on any given day. I was afraid for DH to know how much she was overcharging me, as I didn't know that I would get anyone better. In fact I didn't need more than 10 hours of work (as opposed to talking on your cell phone while you fold laundry half-heartedly TYVM) and it's not like things were sparkling with the supposed 15 hours.

I once asked her - how much time is that. Oh, she said, you pay my $11, I had though it was $10. Well, okay, so that's still 15 1/2 hours, not 17, but still...

(When I told her I am making other arrangements, because I can't afford her, she was very nice about it, and said, you nice lady, you call me if you need. I gave her about $50 extra as severance pay BUT then I realized that one of my few real pairs of earrings is totally gone....)

Anyhow, I begged her to go to my daughter, for whom she used to work. DD works very hard & has no help BUT - my former employee doesn't want a once or twice weekly job. She only wanted someone daily (she can have 2 or 3 ppl each getting 2-3 hours daily) but the point is when you go every day you can be LAZY! Because you just say, Oh, I do that tomorrow! Whereas when you're once or twice weekly they'll expect EVERY bathroom to be done and ALL the laundry etc.

Now I have someone for 10 hours and BH a nice surplus in my bank account! Not gonna get upset about how long I was overpaying... I think many domestic employees will take advantage because they know we need them and are afraid they'll quit.

All of which is not meant in any way to offend Beige above. I am sure that you did good work and did not take advantage of your employers. Some domestic help comes from a culture with a poor work ethic, in my experience.

And today's culture that anyone who hires any employee can expect them to be on their phone all day... don't even get me started. Try getting attention from someone in a store, right?

(ETA I mentioned this to DD and she said that DE once came late & said, "I came late but I work fast and do e/t - you pay me same?" Well, okay, if you asked, but not on a regular basis without discussion!)

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 9:45 am
It is very simple. Get a calendar. Have the ladies note the time they arrive and the time they leave and pay accordingly. Some were better than others and they got paid higher by the hour. None ever objected when you make it "official".

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 10:37 am
amother wrote:

Anyhow, I begged her to go to my daughter, for whom she used to work. DD works very hard & has no help BUT - my former employee doesn't want a once or twice weekly job. She only wanted someone daily (she can have 2 or 3 ppl each getting 2-3 hours daily) but the point is when you go every day you can be LAZY! Because you just say, Oh, I do that tomorrow! Whereas when you're once or twice weekly they'll expect EVERY bathroom to be done and ALL the laundry etc.

Umm... If I were to pay someone minimum wage to come to me everyday to clean my house, I would give her a daily list of tasks - at that wage my employee doesn't have the leeway to decide what gets done on what day. She's my employee and she does job I give her, if she doesn't she's not the right fit for me. (and if she is at my house everyday... she's an employee not an independent worker...)

Only I get to decide to be lazy and not clean today... what I can clean tomorrow...

Also the woman has a right to do take whatever employment she can get. I too would only want to go one house if I could find work like that, rather than travel around.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 12:32 pm
Quote:
I too would only want to go one house if I could find work like that, rather than travel around.
I don't think it was one house, it was more likely 2 or three that she goes to daily for a few hours, the point being she can slack off more.

I am very nice & respectful. I will always say s/t like "Would you have time for the refrigerator today or tomorrow?" or "Can you try to fit in straightening the linen closet some time next week?" I feel like giving some autonomy helps a worker feel more respected and empowered.

BUT... there's being nice & there's being taken advantage of....

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
I too would only want to go one house if I could find work like that, rather than travel around.
I don't think it was one house, it was more likely 2 or three that she goes to daily for a few hours, the point being she can slack off more.

I am very nice & respectful. I will always say s/t like "Would you have time for the refrigerator today or tomorrow?" or "Can you try to fit in straightening the linen closet some time next week?" I feel like giving some autonomy helps a worker feel more respected and empowered.

BUT... there's being nice & there's being taken advantage of....

I think you may be drawing false conclusions here... you've decided that she wants to set up her work life in such a way because she wants to slack off... that very well might not be her intention..

otherwise - you're management style could use some polish. Try - "I'd like the refrigerator to get cleaned today - I think there will be time for that, if you skip tidying the girls room. Do you agree?". But if her job is housekeeper - and her responsibility is to both clean and keep on top of what jobs need to get done, and make herself a schedule to do it all - you need to pay her more.

She does feel empowered - empowered enough to decide when she gets to get to your house and when she gets to leave. If you truly feel taken advantage of, give her a warning that if she is late for work, and/or leaves early you will dock her pay accordingly, and follow through.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry