Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen boys and mid winter vacation

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:29 pm
I'm just wondering what exactly the boys are supposed to be doing? They sit in yeshiva all day and are finally given a very long weekend off. You hope that they been ingrained with a sense of values from yeshiva, so I wonder, do I take him to the mixed water park that everyone else seems to think is ok? Do I take him to florida, keep him out of yeshiva an extra few days, or take him to the beach there? Better yet, do I just leave him at home like alot of others have done? If he's not athletic and has never had the chance to ski, that's out too. I wish the yeshiva would organize some amazing trips or things to do for teen boys. I'm not the type to tell him that he should sit and learn, I know he needs a break, but what in the world can you do with boys? I ask this not to criticize or put down others who do any of the above, to each their own...However, there are so many boys in my son's situation...moms, what do you do with your boys?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:32 pm
I remember when I was in elementary school my mother took me, my brother and boy cousin away to a place where they could go snow tubing etc...

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
I'm just wondering what exactly the boys are supposed to be doing? They sit in yeshiva all day and are finally given a very long weekend off. You hope that they been ingrained with a sense of values from yeshiva, so I wonder, do I take him to the mixed water park that everyone else seems to think is ok? Do I take him to florida, keep him out of yeshiva an extra few days, or take him to the beach there? Better yet, do I just leave him at home like alot of others have done? If he's not athletic and has never had the chance to ski, that's out too. I wish the yeshiva would organize some amazing trips or things to do for teen boys. I'm not the type to tell him that he should sit and learn, I know he needs a break, but what in the world can you do with boys? I ask this not to criticize or put down others who do any of the above, to each their own...However, there are so many boys in my son's situation...moms, what do you do with your boys?

Why don't you take him skiing? This is the time many boys begin to learn. They have great packages for beginners. There are minyans on some of the mountains.

Besides skiing, he goes ice skating, bowling, the aquarium, shopping, Dave and Busters, rope climb, go-carts, ceramics.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:58 pm
My son said a lot of his friends go to shooting ranges. He is dying for my DH to take him one day.
My son helps DH with home improvements when he has extended weekends. He also made a swap with a rebbe of his, he went to grind wheat into flour for matzoh for his rebbes chaburah and his rebbe designated a few hours to teach him how to lein. Something he has been wanting to do. DH just took him out to eat with him as a one on one special attention moment. We have to raise our children knowing that we don't always have to go places or follow what the others are doing. We need to give them attention and love not necessarily "things" and " trips". I played air hockey with DS. He appreciates the time we spend individually with him.

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:08 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
My son said a lot of his friends go to shooting ranges. He is dying for my DH to take him one day.
My son helps DH with home improvements when he has extended weekends. He also made a swap with a rebbe of his, he went to grind wheat into flour for matzoh for his rebbes chaburah and his rebbe designated a few hours to teach him how to lein. Something he has been wanting to do. DH just took him out to eat with him as a one on one special attention moment. We have to raise our children knowing that we don't always have to go places or follow what the others are doing. We need to give them attention and love not necessarily "things" and " trips". I played air hockey with DS. He appreciates the time we spend individually with him.

What shooting range? In Orange County?

I forgot about air hockey. I also have been enlisted for air hockey duty.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:24 pm
Highland park resort
8454340102 they have sleding, a grocery around the corner.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
What shooting range? In Orange County?

I forgot about air hockey. I also have been enlisted for air hockey duty.

I'm not sure where it's located. DH told me that there are quite a few around. I live in Monsey. I'm assuming that they are in the NJ area too.

My DH bought a big pool table that converts to an air hockey table and ping pong table for the kids for Chanukah, so I don't have to go out anywhere to play. It was a good investment my boys really enjoy it.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:32 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I'm not sure where it's located. DH told me that there are quite a few around. I live in Monsey. I'm assuming that they are in the NJ area too.

My DH bought a big pool table that converts to an air hockey table and ping pong table for the kids for Chanukah, so I don't have to go out anywhere to play. It was a good investment my boys really enjoy it.

There is a shooting range by ringwood park nj. About 25 minutes from monsey.
http://www.thundermt.com

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:59 pm
Who says you have to take him anywhere? My boys used to go to the dentist and to shop for shoes and clothes. When else were they going to do that? I don't believe in pulling kids out of school to go shopping.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
Who says you have to take him anywhere? My boys used to go to the dentist and to shop for shoes and clothes. When else were they going to do that? I don't believe in pulling kids out of school to go shopping.

True. DS went to dentist today for a cleaning.

cm

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 4:12 pm
Why are your choices beach, water park or nothing? You have received a lot of good suggestions here; if you want more specific ideas, please post your location. Other general ideas include museums, geocaching, college tours if they are college bound, tours of interesting places, winter nature walks, basketball or batting practice at an indoor sports place, Dungeons and Dragons or other group games, cooking or baking for the family or doing a community service project (would need to plan in advance).

If your boys want to try skiing, sign up for lessons if there is a skiing facility within a few hours' drive from your home. If they have tubing as well, all the better. Snowtubing requires no particular skill.

I think the point of vacation is that the students as well as the teachers/staff spend time with their own families. It's not up to the school to organize your vacation. With a little bit of creativity, you can do it. If you give us an idea of what your family enjoys, we will help you.

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:

I take the kids shopping Sunday evenings and motzi Shabbos. Do people really pull their boys out of yeshiva to go clothes shopping

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:32 am
I don't have any sons (yet), but if I did I'd vote for an outdoor sports. If the purpose of mid-winter vacation is for them to refresh and recharge, and air out their brains (literally) so that they come back to school with renewed energy for learning, I would think that spending time at an outdoor sports would accomplish this best.

Snow-tubing, air-boarding, sledding, skiing, etc....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children