Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Rinsing pasta with cold water after cooked

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:00 pm
I once read in the mishpacha magazine that rinsing cooked pasta with cold water is not a good idea, because it washes off the starch from the pasta, and the sauce doesn't stick to the pasta. they suggested putting some of the sauce on the boiling hot pasta and mixing it. I tried it, and the pasta became kind of soft and soggy because it was very hot and stuck together for a while until it cooled.
does anyone else have this?
should I just discard mishpacha's "advice?"

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:07 pm
How long do you cook the pasta for? If you cook it al dente, about two minutes less, then it should come out well. I prefer rinsed pasta.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:11 pm
disregard any advice that doesn't work for you.

But its common practice in the foody community not to wash regular wheat pasta after cooking for the reason you described.

I didn't read the mishpacha article - and I'm not sure what you are describing regarding the sauce. Here is a good article that might help you. http://greatist.com/eat/5-ways.....cream

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:14 pm
I always thought the whole reason for washing it was to wash of the starch.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
I always thought the whole reason for washing it was to wash of the starch.

(1) to get rid of extra starch (2) stop pasta from cooking.

By getting rid of extra starch you are more likely going to get slippery noodles, or so the theory goes.

Zeleze

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:59 am
After pouring of the water, just a a tiny drop of oil and mix, this will stop it from clogging and sticking together.

Buba's advice

queenert

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 12:23 pm
If you want the starch to help the sauce cling, but you want to stop the cooking, you can rinse your pasta and reserve a little water pasta water instead to add to the sauce.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 12:27 pm
I only skip rinsing if I'm serving immediately and serving it all without leftovers. Otherwise as it sits, it kind of clumps and is not enjoyable. So I definitely rinse first and toss with just a drop of oil if not using immediately.
I generally don't have an issue with sauce sticking to the pasta.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen