Home

Teen boys and mid winter vacation

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Beige


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 5:29 pm
I'm just wondering what exactly the boys are supposed to be doing? They sit in yeshiva all day and are finally given a very long weekend off. You hope that they been ingrained with a sense of values from yeshiva, so I wonder, do I take him to the mixed water park that everyone else seems to think is ok? Do I take him to florida, keep him out of yeshiva an extra few days, or take him to the beach there? Better yet, do I just leave him at home like alot of others have done? If he's not athletic and has never had the chance to ski, that's out too. I wish the yeshiva would organize some amazing trips or things to do for teen boys. I'm not the type to tell him that he should sit and learn, I know he needs a break, but what in the world can you do with boys? I ask this not to criticize or put down others who do any of the above, to each their own...However, there are so many boys in my son's situation...moms, what do you do with your boys?
Back to top

amother




Mustard


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 5:32 pm
I remember when I was in elementary school my mother took me, my brother and boy cousin away to a place where they could go snow tubing etc...
Back to top

Squishy









  


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
I'm just wondering what exactly the boys are supposed to be doing? They sit in yeshiva all day and are finally given a very long weekend off. You hope that they been ingrained with a sense of values from yeshiva, so I wonder, do I take him to the mixed water park that everyone else seems to think is ok? Do I take him to florida, keep him out of yeshiva an extra few days, or take him to the beach there? Better yet, do I just leave him at home like alot of others have done? If he's not athletic and has never had the chance to ski, that's out too. I wish the yeshiva would organize some amazing trips or things to do for teen boys. I'm not the type to tell him that he should sit and learn, I know he needs a break, but what in the world can you do with boys? I ask this not to criticize or put down others who do any of the above, to each their own...However, there are so many boys in my son's situation...moms, what do you do with your boys?


Why don't you take him skiing? This is the time many boys begin to learn. They have great packages for beginners. There are minyans on some of the mountains.

Besides skiing, he goes ice skating, bowling, the aquarium, shopping, Dave and Busters, rope climb, go-carts, ceramics.
Back to top

Bizzydizzymommy









  


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 5:58 pm
My son said a lot of his friends go to shooting ranges. He is dying for my DH to take him one day.
My son helps DH with home improvements when he has extended weekends. He also made a swap with a rebbe of his, he went to grind wheat into flour for matzoh for his rebbes chaburah and his rebbe designated a few hours to teach him how to lein. Something he has been wanting to do. DH just took him out to eat with him as a one on one special attention moment. We have to raise our children knowing that we don't always have to go places or follow what the others are doing. We need to give them attention and love not necessarily "things" and " trips". I played air hockey with DS. He appreciates the time we spend individually with him.
Back to top

Squishy









  


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 6:08 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
My son said a lot of his friends go to shooting ranges. He is dying for my DH to take him one day.
My son helps DH with home improvements when he has extended weekends. He also made a swap with a rebbe of his, he went to grind wheat into flour for matzoh for his rebbes chaburah and his rebbe designated a few hours to teach him how to lein. Something he has been wanting to do. DH just took him out to eat with him as a one on one special attention moment. We have to raise our children knowing that we don't always have to go places or follow what the others are doing. We need to give them attention and love not necessarily "things" and " trips". I played air hockey with DS. He appreciates the time we spend individually with him.


What shooting range? In Orange County?

I forgot about air hockey. I also have been enlisted for air hockey duty.
Back to top

amother




Mauve


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 6:24 pm
Highland park resort
8454340102 they have sleding, a grocery around the corner.
Back to top

Bizzydizzymommy









  


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 6:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
What shooting range? In Orange County?

I forgot about air hockey. I also have been enlisted for air hockey duty.


I'm not sure where it's located. DH told me that there are quite a few around. I live in Monsey. I'm assuming that they are in the NJ area too.

My DH bought a big pool table that converts to an air hockey table and ping pong table for the kids for Chanukah, so I don't have to go out anywhere to play. It was a good investment my boys really enjoy it.
Back to top

amother




Blonde


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 6:32 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I'm not sure where it's located. DH told me that there are quite a few around. I live in Monsey. I'm assuming that they are in the NJ area too.

My DH bought a big pool table that converts to an air hockey table and ping pong table for the kids for Chanukah, so I don't have to go out anywhere to play. It was a good investment my boys really enjoy it.


There is a shooting range by ringwood park nj. About 25 minutes from monsey.
http://www.thundermt.com
Back to top

amother




Slategray


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 6:59 pm
Who says you have to take him anywhere? My boys used to go to the dentist and to shop for shoes and clothes. When else were they going to do that? I don't believe in pulling kids out of school to go shopping.
Back to top

Bizzydizzymommy









  


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Who says you have to take him anywhere? My boys used to go to the dentist and to shop for shoes and clothes. When else were they going to do that? I don't believe in pulling kids out of school to go shopping.


True. DS went to dentist today for a cleaning.
Back to top

cm









  


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 7:12 pm
Why are your choices beach, water park or nothing? You have received a lot of good suggestions here; if you want more specific ideas, please post your location. Other general ideas include museums, geocaching, college tours if they are college bound, tours of interesting places, winter nature walks, basketball or batting practice at an indoor sports place, Dungeons and Dragons or other group games, cooking or baking for the family or doing a community service project (would need to plan in advance).

If your boys want to try skiing, sign up for lessons if there is a skiing facility within a few hours' drive from your home. If they have tubing as well, all the better. Snowtubing requires no particular skill.

I think the point of vacation is that the students as well as the teachers/staff spend time with their own families. It's not up to the school to organize your vacation. With a little bit of creativity, you can do it. If you give us an idea of what your family enjoys, we will help you.
Back to top

Squishy









  


Post  Sun, Jan 29 2017, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
Who says you have to take him anywhere? My boys used to go to the dentist and to shop for shoes and clothes. When else were they going to do that? I don't believe in pulling kids out of school to go shopping.


I take the kids shopping Sunday evenings and motzi Shabbos. Do people really pull their boys out of yeshiva to go clothes shopping
Back to top

Chayalle









  


Post  Mon, Jan 30 2017, 1:32 pm
I don't have any sons (yet), but if I did I'd vote for an outdoor sports. If the purpose of mid-winter vacation is for them to refresh and recharge, and air out their brains (literally) so that they come back to school with renewed energy for learning, I would think that spending time at an outdoor sports would accomplish this best.

Snow-tubing, air-boarding, sledding, skiing, etc....
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
Mid-Winter Vacation
by chaya35
11 Mon, Jan 21 2013, 9:03 pm View latest post
mid-winter vacation 4 Sun, Jan 20 2013, 10:38 pm View latest post
Mid-winter vacation 4 Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:46 am View latest post
Mid winter Vacation - Poconos
by amother
1 Wed, Dec 18 2013, 3:02 pm View latest post
Mid-Winter vacation ideas 4 Wed, Jan 19 2011, 9:59 pm View latest post

Jump to:  





Report offensive ad