Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
For those who cosleep-pls help!!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:20 am
I now cosleep with my 21 month old toddler, (SHOCKER I know!) it has been a life saver! she is still up every hour and half ish but I don't wake up fully to take care of her. She doesn't need to eat just needs to be snuggled back to sleep. She miraculously is able to fall asleep in her crib, but then wakes up SCREAMING an hour and a half later. I know there is a thought that I am training her to be so wakeful at night but I am pretty sure it is her personality. if I put her back to sleep in her crib she is up an hour later. putting her back in her crib over and over is too rigorous for me, I just can't implement these things smack in middle of the night....just can not do it. so cosleeping has worked out well for us. especially back when I was breastfeeding it was awesome she just latched on in middle of the night and both of us got sleep. It also just feels right to have her closeby.

Now for my question: I am expecting in a few months. I don't know what to do with a toddler and baby. I'm wondering what other co-sleeping mothers do when they have a baby because I know it is dangerous to have them both in bed with me so I was thinking have the newborn in a co-sleeper and toddler next to me? it sounds a bit disastrous bc I think the baby will wake up the toddler.... has anyone been in this situation??? DESPERATE for help!!!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:47 am
Your daughter got into the habit of waking every hour and a half. Habits can be broken. Is she well rested in the morning? Is she a happy kid? If not you may want to try leaving her in her crib for the night. Sorry. I never tried cosleeping with two kids.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:26 am
yeah she is rested and happy in the morning

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:13 am
I am a current cosleeper with a 16 month old.
I have coslept until pregnant with next.

Then I inlisted my husband to help out with sleep training. It is a skill your daughter needs to learn. I went in till 12 and husband did the rest. You are pregnant, you do need help.
Start now before new baby comes around.

I'dtalk to child and tell her what u will be doing, and if she in bed all night gets a treat.

She will not sleep through the night overnight.

Give it a month or two.

Best of luck

rachel6543

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:17 am
Personally I would transition your toddler to her own bed/crib now, that way when you have the baby only the baby is cosleeping with you.

I coslept with my son until he was 16-17 months old. Then I transitioned him to his own room and crib. It took me 2 weeks, but he was sleeping through the night completely on his own in his crib just fine.

Maybe putting a toddler bed next to your bed and teaching you little one to sleep there would be a good compromise.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 11:27 am
How about moving her straight to a bed or to a mattress on the floor in her room? Or even in your room if you're happy with that arrangement? I second that if she's waking so often it would be a good idea to try and teach her to sleep better - for her own sake. You could make her a book about a toddler who slept all night, a sticker chart, at that age they understand a lot. If you want to move her to her room gently you could go in with her, two mattresses on the floor, and then gradually leave her asleep there. What do you do to get her back to sleep - does she just hug you? Maybe you could choose a special big cuddly bear with her - make a big fuss out of it...

You'll want to do this before the baby comes along because you'll need your space right after birth. Well, personally I can't think of anything worse than snuggling up to a toddler a few days pp!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics