Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pushing Formula
Previous  1  2

miri123

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:39 pm
Like Pikle Lady said bbs need fat and protein, if your baby is hungry he needs calories which they are not in rice cereal, fruits and veggies don't have much either unless you consider AVOCADOS, and YES BANANAS personally any other fruit or veggie should be cooked and strained or puree, cooking adds to how easily it would diggest my last baby was grabbing food at 4 months and I tried and he ATE and SWALLOWED normaly I could not believed it. BAbies have a reflex to expell any solid from their mouth as they get older they loose that reflex and will accept solids I.e food or paper, toys, and other unimaginable things Wink LOL
Go ahead mush that avocado and try, one food at a time for a few days watch for any reactions, rash, vomiting, constipation or the opposite etc. but remember at this age solids would be just about 5% of their calorie intake, what do you think it has more calories a good nurse (feed) or 4ozs of rice cereal? and what does have more vitamins and nutrients or protein? Breastmilk is not water.
Juice for 3 months old shock Surprised , did you talk to her dentist? did you know that 1 cup of apple juice equals to 7 tsps of SUGAR how much sugar do you take in your coffe or tea?
Hatzalch rabba MMC...

qeenB

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:43 pm
there are no charts for breastfed babies. the charts the doctors use are for formula fed babies. the doctors get nervous usually at 6 months because thats when the breastfed babies start to slow down in their weight gain, and thats when formula fed babies start gaining more. it doesn't mean its a real problem. it makes the doctor feel better if he knows you are giving formula because it will probably make the baby gain more weight. however if you start giving formula you will most likely end up weaning much earlier . what I did was I supplemented with food and kept up the breastfeeding until my kids where at least 18 months and older. my lactation consultant always told me not to worry because it is normal for the babies to not be gaining so rapidly once they get to 5,6 months. the breast milk is much better for them anyway.

miri123

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 11:15 pm
qeenB wrote:
there are no charts for breastfed babies. the charts the doctors use are for formula fed babies. the doctors get nervous usually at 6 months because thats when the breastfed babies start to slow down in their weight gain, and thats when formula fed babies start gaining more. it doesn't mean its a real problem. it makes the doctor feel better if he knows you are giving formula because it will probably make the baby gain more weight. however if you start giving formula you will most likely end up weaning much earlier . what I did was I supplemented with food and kept up the breastfeeding until my kids where at least 18 months and older. my lactation consultant always told me not to worry because it is normal for the babies to not be gaining so rapidly once they get to 5,6 months. the breast milk is much better for them anyway.

ditto, exactly, breastfed babies ballom quicker that formula fed ones up to 6 months then they slow down and at about a yr they are all even Smile

Dini

Post Fri, Jun 29 2007, 12:02 am
usually when the baby nurses more often its b/c of a growth spurt and u just have to nurse more often until u increase ur milk & after a few days the schedule should go back to normal. if u want to start solids thats your choice, but formula? what for? you're nursing!

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, Jun 29 2007, 12:54 am
I was going to say the same thing. Often when a baby is feeding/nursing more often, it indicates a growth spurt. If breastfeeding has been working well for you so far, I think you should just keep on with that. Your supply will increase to meet his demand.

If you'd also like to add a little solids, you could do that, too. With my kids I have found that even though they seemed interested in food, it was mostly interest in exploring and experiencing new things. Breastmilk should continue to make up the majority of a baby's calories until at least one year of age, so just be sure to go slow.

After all, babies' digestive systems are still maturing. The reason so many foods look the same on the spoon and in the diaper is because young babies don't have the ability to break everything down. If it isn't digested, then the baby isn't benefiting much from the nutrients. It just makes baby feel full.

Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 29 2007, 11:31 am
Ruchel wrote:
I personally do not see the problem (at 3 months, not 2). It is much less dangerous than co sleeping or home birth imho, so to each their own.

Where does that assertion come from? Probably the propoganda doctors in France have.
A 3 month old's gut is not so equipped to handling foods full of bacteria and such, and starting too early increases the likelihood of allergies.
Cosleeping when certain guidelies are followed and homebirth in low risk pregnancies have been found safe.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 29 2007, 11:38 am
Marion wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Regarding starting solids, skip the rice cereal. It's constipating. You can start bananas or avocado if you really think your baby needs more food, or oatmeal if you want a grain.

1. Rice cereal is the easiest to digest, which is why it's so frequently recommended as a first food. It does NOT constipate all babies, certainly not in the minute quantities one would dilute it too at the very beginning.

2. Banana is just as constipating as rice. It is NOT one of the fruits that can help alleviate that problem!

3. Although most babies are fine with most grains, not all are. Rice cereal was the ONLY thing we could start DS on, due to family history (DH was celiac as a child), until we had him tested for the other grains. Wheat/oat/gluten intolerances are very, very difficult to see reactions to in infants.

But rice cereal is basically worthless. The reason I suggested bananas or avocados is because they are full of nutrients and good calories. While, yes, bananas may cause constipation, and should be stopped if so, they are better to try than rice cereal .Rice cereal is suggested as a first food because many times babies are started on foods at a young age that their gut can't handle real food. Once a baby is sitting (5.5 -6 months), the insides are more mature and can handle real food, skipping the cereal stage. There is family history of celiac disease in my husband's side as well, but celiac disease is not outgrown, so I highly doubt he had it as a child. That was one of the reasons I don't want my children to have wheat before a year, but regardless, celiac disease is not an allergy and can't really be helped by starting grains later. Yes, grain allergies happen, but if there is no trend of allergies in a family, oats are usually safe. Especially in comparison to milk or soy based formula.

Marion

Post Sat, Jun 30 2007, 3:48 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Marion wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Regarding starting solids, skip the rice cereal. It's constipating. You can start bananas or avocado if you really think your baby needs more food, or oatmeal if you want a grain.

1. Rice cereal is the easiest to digest, which is why it's so frequently recommended as a first food. It does NOT constipate all babies, certainly not in the minute quantities one would dilute it too at the very beginning.

2. Banana is just as constipating as rice. It is NOT one of the fruits that can help alleviate that problem!

3. Although most babies are fine with most grains, not all are. Rice cereal was the ONLY thing we could start DS on, due to family history (DH was celiac as a child), until we had him tested for the other grains. Wheat/oat/gluten intolerances are very, very difficult to see reactions to in infants.

But rice cereal is basically worthless. The reason I suggested bananas or avocados is because they are full of nutrients and good calories. While, yes, bananas may cause constipation, and should be stopped if so, they are better to try than rice cereal .Rice cereal is suggested as a first food because many times babies are started on foods at a young age that their gut can't handle real food. Once a baby is sitting (5.5 -6 months), the insides are more mature and can handle real food, skipping the cereal stage. There is family history of celiac disease in my husband's side as well, but celiac disease is not outgrown, so I highly doubt he had it as a child. That was one of the reasons I don't want my children to have wheat before a year, but regardless, celiac disease is not an allergy and can't really be helped by starting grains later. Yes, grain allergies happen, but if there is no trend of allergies in a family, oats are usually safe. Especially in comparison to milk or soy based formula.

My son was not yet sitting at 6 months...happened somewhere around 10 months. But he WAS hungry (stopped sleeping through the night) at just shy of 6 months. For us the rice cereal was recommended to "beef up" the nursing and expressed milk. DH WAS celiac; he didn't outgrow it, per se, but his system seems to handle it considerably better now than it did then. Every so often they take him off grains again to give his system a break, and he is not supposed to eat more than a certain amount, but he can "indulge" within reason.

miri123

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 8:20 pm
Marion wrote:
For us the rice cereal was recommended to "beef up" the nursing and expressed milk.

As per pediatrician rice cereal does not "beef up" anything

Marion

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 1:37 am
miri123 wrote:
Marion wrote:
For us the rice cereal was recommended to "beef up" the nursing and expressed milk.

As per pediatrician rice cereal does not "beef up" anything
It does...it thickens the consistency, which definitely makes you fuller, if not simply because it takes longer to eat (drink) the same amount. No one suggested it had any nutritional value on its own.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 05 2007, 9:25 am
Rice has actually been found to be a new allergenic food and it is now recommended to start with oat cereal and not rice cereal.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 05 2007, 9:34 am
Ruchel wrote:
I know what you mean. They pushed formula on me too. Finally I agreed to give complements only and I really felt better (less exhausted, less sick). So it was good for both and I plan to do this with my other children too, maybe I could even try half nurse half formula. I suppose I would have recovered more quickly if I had done it.

I have started solids at "normal" age according to my ped, 3 months, and encountered no problem. She is very motivated for solids, even grabbing stuff that aren't for her yet!

If you think you want to try the solids, do it. If it doesn't work, try a few weeks later.
If he is hungry, give him solids instead of formula supplements. Unless your doc wants you to totally switch to formula? I didn't get that.

I'm curious about the statement that I bolded. How do you figure that nursing made you recover less quickly? If anything I feel nursing made me recover more quickly! It made me skinny again and made me feel great.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 12:46 pm
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
I know what you mean. They pushed formula on me too. Finally I agreed to give complements only and I really felt better (less exhausted, less sick). So it was good for both and I plan to do this with my other children too, maybe I could even try half nurse half formula. I suppose I would have recovered more quickly if I had done it.

I have started solids at "normal" age according to my ped, 3 months, and encountered no problem. She is very motivated for solids, even grabbing stuff that aren't for her yet!

If you think you want to try the solids, do it. If it doesn't work, try a few weeks later.
If he is hungry, give him solids instead of formula supplements. Unless your doc wants you to totally switch to formula? I didn't get that.

I'm curious about the statement that I bolded. How do you figure that nursing made you recover less quickly? If anything I feel nursing made me recover more quickly! It made me skinny again and made me feel great.

Well, it made me lose weight too quickly, and I thought everyone agreed it is exhausting... I also lost many things through the milk, my iodic level dropped... which caused me to be really always tired... when the doc realized it, I was told to nurse less and in less than a week I felt almost like before pregnancy... BH.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 1:00 pm
MMEC123 wrote:
I am not necessarily strongly against giving a baby formula but I am much more into nursing exclusively. My baby's doctor seems to push formula for everything. Most recently, I think my baby is ready for food- he started being hungry every 1 1/2-2 hours instead of every 3, he stopped sleeping through the night, the doctor feels he didn't gain enough weight in the last month (though I disagree) and he shows a strong interest in food- staring at me and DH while we eat and trying to grab food and drinks from us. The doctor says instead of starting food, I should give him formula to help with all these things. My baby is 5 months old so he is technically old enough for food. What would you do? I'm seriously considering switching doctors (or just feeding him and not listening to the doctor). I'm a new mommy, please advise.

my son, who wasnt a big gainer due to lack of breast milk on my part, and him just not being a big formula eater-when I finally switched him to a bottle of forumula, ate real food at 5 1/2 months and it was the best thing I did!

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 1:34 pm
Ruchel, are you taking any vitamins?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 1:52 pm
MommyLuv wrote:
Ruchel, are you taking any vitamins?

The iron ones made me sick, the non iron ones didn't help. So, no... (bad, I
know).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics