Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What would you rather...traveling with toddler...

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:05 pm
I am traveling by myself with 15 mo old. not walking yet but very curious and mobile

I have choice of 1h20m direct flight with a 1 hr complicated drive to my destination

or

3 hr train ride with 30m simple drive afterward.

im thinking fly and get long stretch over with, but train he might be able to crawl around. I dunno. never took a train. worried about so many hrs with him in confined space...

thoughts and advice appreciated!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:17 pm
I have done both. We preferred the train. Accounting for security at airport takes the same time. We stopped using the train because Amtrak is so expensive.
Best is driving though. Stop when you want.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:36 pm
ectomorph, how did you entertain child on the train?

I would hate to drive by myself for that long, need to keep myself awake and focused on road and somehow keep toddler entertained...

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:

I would hate to drive by myself for that long, need to keep myself awake and focused on road and somehow keep toddler entertained...

Can you time the trip for your toddler's nap time? That would take care of half the trip easily. And turn on a shiur or interesting radio program for yourself. When toddler wakes up, you can make a stop at a rest area, give toddler a snack and a toy and maybe turn on an interesting (kid) cd to entertain.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
ectomorph, how did you entertain child on the train?

Videos, walking around, climbing on table. Toys. A bit of nosh... I think mine was about 15 months last time so we weren't really into nosh yet. I brought the snap and go and he slept a bit.

Ive never done the drive alone to be honest.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:30 am
Train! Definitely. He can climb on the table, look out of the window and see things, crawl up and down the aisle, and do any activity he'd do on a plane.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 12:54 pm
With a plane you have to be in the airport 1+ hr before teh flight and 1/2 hr minimum till you get of the airport.
I'd think train will take same amount of time or less and be more pleasant.

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 12:57 pm
I have no advice, but yasher koach to each of you ladies who travel with toddlers in order to visit relatives and bring nachas to grans and alter-grans and whatnot. I dug in my heels and refused to take my kids any further than the grocery store, pretty much until they were able to drive there themselves. Smile

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:52 pm
I think, having lots of experience travelling with a toddler, I'd rather fly+ drive. On the flight you might have a hard time holding him, but then again, when I flew with a toddler around that age--who was very active and didn't enjoy long car trips, she enjoyed looking out the window. If you have a phone/tablet special for the occasion would also help. For the 1 hour car trip your toddler will likely nap so not so bad. I think 3 hours on a train isn't a terrible alternative either. if he can crawl in the hallway and look out the window. Is there a price difference?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics