Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you believe Hashem will give you something it'll happen?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 12:40 am
Yes, it's good to daven and/or say tehillim. No one doubts that. The question is how you can possibly know their effect. They may be helpful in building a relationship with Hashem. Good. There's no way to measure the effectiveness of tefilla in this world. We have to believe that Hashem has a plan.

And how does everyone know that children don't think their tefilla was "wasted" when a sick person doesn't get better?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:04 am
amother wrote:
Very young children can understand the concept of no tefillah ever being "wasted."

In Tehillim Dovid Hamelech wrote
"simah b' nodecha dimasi" - " Hashem, place my tears in your flask...". The medrashim tell us that Dovid's Tehillim are not poetry, rather, any imagery used can be taken as a gezairas hakasuv from our Tanach...so in shamayim, Hashem literally has something like a flask in which He saves the tears shed in tefillos that weren't immediately answered, so that they can be applied at the proper time for the tefillah to come to fruition! What an amazing concept! You see, many of you have questioned in this thread why good people of emunah pray and aren't answered...they are of course always answered, just not in the way we can necessarily understand - "ain davar omed l'fnei haratzon" - man's prayers are always powerful...

There is a famous story of Reb Aryeh Levin comforting a widow with this idea when she came to him to ask about all the tears she shed and tehillim she prayed during her husband's sickness. He told her the tears were saved to wash away a future gezairah ra'ah which would hang over the Jewish people.

If we begin educating our children with such spiritual ideas when they are too young to reject them based on "logic," their hearts will actually remain open to the possibility for faith in things yet unseen...

I cannot like this enough!
And your next post on Tehillim, about connection.

These are the two concepts we need to teach our children: understanding unanswered prayers, and how every prayer is valuable because it helps us build our connection to Hashem.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:07 am
amother wrote:

And how does everyone know that children don't think their tefilla was "wasted" when a sick person doesn't get better?

As I just said in my immediately pp: this is what we have to teach our children.
And the children inside us all. (And I am speaking of myself, btdt. It's an avodah.)

chicco

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:29 am
Taupe, I'd like to be friends with you.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:43 pm
Taupe - thank you 😊.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics