Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
5.5 yo deep sleeper and misses bus almost daily. My fault?
Previous  1  2  3

piegirl

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:54 pm
My kid also has trouble falling asleep, so I understand. We aim to be ready st 8. At 7 I drag myself out of bed and start making breakfast and lunches. The clanging pots sometimes wake him up ( always wakes up my middle one). If he's not awake by 7:30 I turn on the light in his room and that's usually enough to get him up within 5 min. By then breakfast is hopefully on the table, he eats and goes to get dressed while I finish his lunch. Then I help him get dressed and we're downstairs by 8. Of course this is a good day...

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:29 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
I'm a little surprised at the responses here. I'm not a morning person, and one of my kids inherited that, but I never allow snoozing. I think that the time to develop healthy sleep habits for children is when they are very young, at which point it is so much easier for them to learn that as soon as it's morning you wake and get out of bed right away.

I think that ultimately it is a huge disservice to children to do "quiet" mornings and dress them when they are partly asleep in their beds.
Little children are very in tune with their natural body rhythm, and if you play on that and figure out the right time to put them to bed so that they can wake up in the morning and get put of bed and get dressed and start off on their own, you are giving them a huge gift. I very consciously do noisy mornings with all the lights on and no one likes to snooze when that is going on.

I know that these are all things that I needed to learn on my own as an adult, since my mother had a very similar attitude around waking. But I also clearly remember being 4 years old and having no issues waking on my own, so it's in there naturally. Don't let your own morning issues carry over to your children.

I disagree. Sometimes you do what you need to do, even if it isn't perfect. It's called coping. I did this as I stated earlier with my five year old. And after a few months she is naturally getting up by herself. Sometimes you do what you gotta do, and then things fall into a natural rhythm. Not all 4 year olds are morning people. Both my dh and I are night owls. My kids never woke up with the crack of dawn. NEVER. Everyone has different issues with their children. You do what works best for your family.

STMommy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:58 pm
No one has mentioned this, so I will - anything medical that needs to be looked into given his messed up sleep hours, too-deep sleep, grogginess upon waking, etc.? Just asking as someone who is currently medically addressing my pre-schooler's sleep disorder.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics