Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Guest room necessities - please post all ideas!
Previous  1  2  3

cinnabuns

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 5:13 am
Shower poufs in a bag so it's obvious they are new. A cute toiletry basket with cotton balls, qtip, makeup remover wipes, static spray, abs nail polish remover, new floss or floss singles.(in case they have to go to mikva and need to prep a bit)

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:07 am
I have a basement with 6 guest bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. I have everything mentioned here. What I believe was not mentioned (if it was, I missed it) is a blow drier (I also have a few curling irons there). The only other things I'd mentioned are a sheet with your contact information (I've often put up guests for neighbors who may not even know my name) including your name, address & phone numbers, and any important things to know about how the house works.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:41 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I have a basement with 6 guest bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. I have everything mentioned here. What I believe was not mentioned (if it was, I missed it) is a blow drier (I also have a few curling irons there). The only other things I'd mentioned are a sheet with your contact information (I've often put up guests for neighbors who may not even know my name) including your name, address & phone numbers, and any important things to know about how the house works.

Wow that is so nice!

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:54 am
I don't know if this was mentioned yet, a paper listing the mikvas in your area, as well as their phone numbers.

Your guests are lucky that your their host. I just spent Shabbos (with a newborn) by a family member whose guest room has no clock or shabbos lamp. Friday night was a disaster. Had no idea what time it was when baby woke, and diaper changing had to wait until morning.

Bathroom (we used the main bathroom, no private guest one) had no garbage and no plunger. And yes the toilet stuffed. embarrassed Had to ask my husband to take care of it, I was too embarrassed to ask for one.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:05 am
GrowingUp wrote:
I don't know if this was mentioned yet, a paper listing the mikvas in your area, as well as their phone numbers.

I also leave a copy of our local directory in each room which has that info as well as stores, community services, white page directory of the community, etc.

Zeleze

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:54 am
Could you ost some Photo's of the room, I would be ver, just let us know were it is and when vacant

anewlywed

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:23 pm
tissues, contact case, makeup remover, nail polish remover, floss

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:26 pm
Where do you keep all this stuff? Does the guest room have a separate bathroom? Do you leave it on top of a dresser? Inside a drawer? On a shelf?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:32 pm
What if your guest is a man?

Tzitzit
Spare Tallis
Tefilin
Shaver
Kippa clips
Comb
Spare tie
Shoe polish

Or none of the above and not half the things you mentioned because no one would ever use them.....

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:33 pm
OP are you actually running a guesthouse/hotel thing?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:42 pm
Just wanted to say that some of the things mentioned are a bit over the top and if somebody needs something like that they would bring it themselves, ask for it, or make do without.
Arriving to an overstuffed guest room is not enjoyable either. And if there are so many products you begin to wonder if they belong to someone and are not meant to be used by just anybody.

abaker

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 2:58 pm
You can arrange the products nicely in a little basket with a short poem or note attached saying that these things are for the guests/please feel free to use/were so happy you're here/ etc

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 4:32 pm
Wow people! I wouldn't go so far as to put shavers, shoe polish, ties, etc. I'm talking about when you're away and the one pony holder you had on you snaps, or unexpectedly get your period or need static guard etc.

I have a fairly large guest room, definitely not cluttered. Shabbos lamp, clock, flowers, tissues, magazines, water bottles are on the night table, doesn't look messy, arranged nicely. Toiletries are in the medicine chest, bathroom vanity, or the closet. The closet is generous, has empty rod, hangers, empty shelves, towels, shaitel head, and the bigger items. All toiletries are sample size or smaller size or new. All look like they are intended for guests to use and I make sure to tell ppl to help themselves to all.

Thanks everyone! Great to hear people's experiences. Oh, I must check about the plunger!!! I know I once had a guest need one, was a friend but still felt bad she had to ask! I think I left it in there, will double check.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 5:10 pm
I also take my guest room very seriously, as Hachnosas Orchim is a mitzvah dear to my heart. When we set up the guest room we bought 48 inch beds because I am always uncomfortable sleeping on twins when I go away. I invested in a small fridge for the room and stock it with drinks, fruit, yogurt etc. Have drawers with some snacks. Also, just got a Keurig if you have guests that come longer than just Shabbos... I leave my wifi info out. Don't forget the Guest Book! I like to think after 120 my guest book will stand witness that I always tried to use the brochos Hashem gives me for chessed.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 5:48 pm
You sound like a wonderful hostess and when I have a bigger house one day, I hope to make my guest room as comfortable.

The most important thing is a door that closes and locks. I've stayed at people's houses where they put us in rooms that had no locks or even once where the door didn't close shock
It was very uncomfortable as I was nursing.

In another person's house, their 5 year old daughter walked in and decided to organize her drawer. I was sitting there in my pajamas not sure what to do.

Please just make sure the bedroom locks and the bathroom locks!

newmom1987

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 6:52 pm
How about making the room baby/toddler proof? No fragile objects within reach. Etc.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:21 pm
GrowingUp wrote:

Your guests are lucky that your their host. I just spent Shabbos (with a newborn) by a family member whose guest room has no clock or shabbos lamp. Friday night was a disaster. Had no idea what time it was when baby woke, and diaper changing had to wait until morning.

Bathroom (we used the main bathroom, no private guest one) had no garbage and no plunger. And yes the toilet stuffed. embarrassed Had to ask my husband to take care of it, I was too embarrassed to ask for one.

sounds like my mother's house ... but she means well ...just doesn't get it Sad

I love when I go away and they leave us food and drinks in the room!!
Shaitel head is so important.
Tissue boxes
yes, a clock!
lock on the door!
garbage can with a bag in it so they can kindly remove the bag and take the garbage with them (you don't want them taking your can!)
Always nice to have a magazine and a couple of books
shabbos lamp!!! not considered a luxury anymore
empty closet with hangers
extra pillow and blankets

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:47 pm
Not sure if anyone metnioned this, but some reading material...maybe some saved magazines or something like that Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics