Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Potty-training questions

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 5:10 pm
I'm hoping to train 1.5-year-old dd as soon as the weather warms up- probably sometime in the month before Pesach. (Yes, I'm a masochist. No, there's no better time, so it is what it is.)

I'm planning to try the 3-day plan. What do you dress a toddler girl in that's easy to manage with potty training? I can let her run around in just a shirt at home, and we'll stay home for the 3 days, but what's easiest for after when she should have something she can manage herself? She hasn't been trying yet with pants- my guess is it's too cold for her to be interested in removing them. Would short dresses be better? Anything goes tznius-wise so long as her nether regions are covered in public.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 6:07 pm
I just trained my son using the book, Toilet Training in Less Than a Day. It's pretty old, but the methods are good old and clear.
Can your DD pull her underwear up and down herself? If not, you'll have a lot of accidents.
You have to teach her how to hold her dress out of the way as she sits down. Have her pull her pants or tights up herself when you change her.

Raisin

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 6:17 pm
A dress, underwear and socks.

But I've never tried to train such a young child, no idea if they can even pull down underwear.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 8:03 pm
I think in this situation I'd try to wait a year or until it's a good timing again....
Good luck...

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:02 am
If you decide to go through potty training her at such a young age, please don't push it. I'm currently dealing with a child who uses potty training as a control thing with her mother because she knows how much it means to the mother that she's toilet trained... She was pushed too early and too hard. I'm dealing with the fall out as is the mother.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:57 am
Generally a child can be ready at 20 months.
Ask yourself:
Does she have bladder control?
1- urinate at once as opposed to dribbling throughout the day, 2- stay dry for several hours, 3- when she does do it, does she have facial expressions or physical postures?

Physical readiness
Does she have good finger and hand coordination, can she walk everywhere without assistance?

Does she have good enough social responsiveness and understanding?
Does she understand most of what you say and follow instructions, simple commands?
Does she know the names of various body parts?

Be honest with yourself. Training too early can be detrimental in the long run. Work with your child, not your schedule. If you do it when your child is ready, s/he can be trained in a day and consistently dry in a week.

Use underwear. The wet sensation aids in the learning process.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 5:17 am
She's nearly there in readiness as far as the checklist. She has great gross motor and fine motor control, and understands body parts including "tushy". She can stay dry for a couple of hours at least sometimes- since that's recent, I'm hoping it continues to improve. (If she's not, I'll wait.)

She's in cloth diapers, and I plan to switch her back to prefolds soon so she feels when she's wet. She knows when she has a dirty diaper and has a definite facial expression while making them.

We'll wait if necessary, but we're moving in the summer and I'd prefer she be used to the idea before then. Otherwise I think we'll be waiting until next spring and there'll be a lot more pressure then since I don't think they'll want her in diapers when she starts ganon at 3. I'd rather try now if she's about ready, since I'll be less stressed- I know it'll go better if I'm calm.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:31 am
If the move is stressful to her she may regress. Just be prepared for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics