Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Media lies and distortions
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

ora_43

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 5:18 am
The only thing I didn't like about the book review was the first line.

If by "just a gleam in Zionists' eyes" she means "an existing political entity with its own government, political parties, schools and hospitals."

Maybe she's just bad at math? 70 years ago was the year Israel officially gained international support for its independence. Maybe she was thinking of 110 years ago.

Anyway. Other than that, I thought it was fine. I haven't read the book, but a book on the history of Israeli military technologies that doesn't mention American aid really would be missing a significant part of the picture.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:38 am
ora_43 wrote:
Nobody is saying we should assume people are lying.

But the standards we should have as individuals and the standards the media should have are two very different things.

If someone tells me as an individual that their father was murdered in a terrorist attack, I'll react as if it's 100% true. But if someone tells a journalist that their father was murdered in a terrorist attack, and the journalist publishes that as if it's 100% true without bothering to fact-check, then the journalist is irresponsible and is potentially giving a hand to dangerous propaganda.

Uncritically reporting a source's lies is the main cause of fake-but-not-lying news reports.

Excellent point.

How about many major media outlets reporting that Trump's Supreme court pick started a Fascism Forever club in high school, and he was president?

This was fake news. Yet it was reported as true by USNews, Salon, Yahoo news, jta.org and others.

Reminds me of the claim about Trump removing MLK's bust from the oval office.

There is an over-eagerness by the msm to promote stories that help their cause, but these are extreme examples that demonstrate the lack of objective reporting that takes place far too often.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
Of course they're anti-Israel. It's not really the anti-Israel slant in the Israel-related news that causes me to feel as though I am reading a propaganda paper. It's their insertion of all sorts of agendas into random articles. If my memory serves correctly this habit only reaches as far back as the last two years and has come to an extreme in the last few months, and that is why my frustration is peaking now.

Nah it's really nothing new. And a book review about Israeli military isn't really a random place to talk about Israel.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics