Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
2m old doesn't smile

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:34 pm
Should I be nervous? He was born 2weeks early if that makes a difference.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:38 pm
my baby didn't smile til 4 months. I can understand your nerves!! but since then he hasn't stopped!
each kid develops at its own pace. give it time. you're still within normal range.
good luck.
it never hurts to daven!

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:42 pm
he's busy davening. Very Happy Very Happy

seriously, totally normal.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:51 pm
Until 12 weeks is completely normal, and it takes some babies even longer then that.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:55 pm
Thanks for your validation! Because when I googled it didn't say great things..

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:01 am
Being early does make a difference. I would wait until 3 months before worrying. Smile
My son didn't smile until 4 months and is totally normal now , born at 34 weeks.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 1:49 am
I wouldn't worry at this point. Neither my kids smiled at 2 months. They both started a few weeks after and are B"H totally fine. They were both born early too (a week early and two weeks early), but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:47 am
No worries. 3 to 4 months is the average, most babies smile at 3 months.

When you get that first, full eye contact smile, you will know for SURE that it is the real thing. The moment will be engraved in your heart forever.

lucky14

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your validation! Because when I googled it didn't say great things..

hah yeah kiddy milestones... Mine was born "on time" and according to the milestone lists on the internet he's months "behind" on some things, but early on others...
I'm not a baby expert so I can't say specifically what to worry or not worry about, but just know that my baby isn't following the "list" exactly either. Bring it up at your baby's next doc appointment just to see what they think. Or even give them a quick phone call! Not a dumb question to call up about.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
No worries. 3 to 4 months is the average, most babies smile at 3 months.

When you get that first, full eye contact smile, you will know for SURE that it is the real thing. The moment will be engraved in your heart forever.

The average is actually anywhere from 6-12 weeks. So op still has time before worrying.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:43 pm
the only time they smile this early if gas bubbles are tickling their insides

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:49 pm
Personality plays a part in this too.
My little social butterfly was smiling at 1 week old. My serious and shy son didn't smile until 2 months old.

Don't worry yet. 2 months is still very little.

However not to make you nervous but my baby that ended up needing glasses at a year old didn't smile or look at me much for a few months. Turns out he couldn't see me very well. All babies have somewhat bad vision until a year old but if you feel your baby doesn't make eye contact or smile you can get his vision checked.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:45 pm
Smiling is one of the milestones that is very connected to gestational age - in other words, the 2 weeks make a difference. If he's not smiling by 8 weeks past his DUE DATE, mention it to the doctor.

My daughter was born 3 weeks early, and didn't smile until she was 3-4 months old. She was the most social, friendly, and outgoing toddler I have ever met.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics