Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Clifton

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 3:53 pm
We are seriously considering a move. But the thing holding us back is the tuition. We have three kids and I heard tuition is very expensive and breaks are rarely given. Can someone confirm? We would also like more info on the housing can a 4 bedroom spacious house be affordable?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 4:10 pm
depends on what you consider affordable Wink Most of the houses I remember there were either three bedrooms or may be very small 4 bedrooms unless it was recently expanded. Expansions are quite common there. You will of course pay accordingly Wink In Passaic you will find much larger houses but they will be older.

in terms of scholarships which school are you considering? I didn't get a scholarship so I can't really say. Most of the people I know personally who got scholarships sent to Yeshiva k'tana.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 4:32 pm
Yeshiva ktana. How much is tuition with all fees?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 4:41 pm
don't know but why don't you call them up and ask them? Also ask them what's involved in finding out about scholarships. I know YBH charges you to apply for scholarship don't know about YK.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 9:31 pm
Amother above- can you please outline the differences between those two schools for me as I dont know about it in detail.We are just starting to really research in depth.
As far as housing, we would love a nice house under 600k (is that even possible),with a good layout. Many of the houses seem very small.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 10:41 pm
you can definitely find a nice size house for under $600.

We just switched some of our kids from yk to ybh.

First of all YBH does't charge anything for scholarship.

YBH is more academic and more serious about learning. YK is most heimish- anything goes.

I personally have been very upset by the quality of education my kids have received in YK and that is why I switched them. They were there for 6 year- so it's not like I didn't give the school a chance.

ybh is like 1 big family. It's really nice- there are tons of functions for the kids and they really learn a lot. Where are you moving from?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 10:43 pm
I got small 3 bedroom in the $200's but that was before the market went back up. Also both schools offer a lot of assistance with tuition. You tell them what you can afford and they work with you. I am paying about $15000 for 3 kids in ybh- I was paying similar in yk

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:18 pm
We make just under 200k annually but we both work full time and have very large loan payments so I worry a lot about having to pay full tuition bec we make a good salary on paper. I am so glad to hear they work with u we certainly do not live a lavish lifestyle. Does the real estate seem to be going up?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:30 pm
yes it's definitely been going up. My house could sell for over $300k now.

YBH started a new way to collect tuition. There are a bunch of pages you fill out online and they have a separate organization that decides how much you will pay.
With yk you fill out paperwork. They tell you what they want you to pay- but it always negotiable. They usually high ball it and then you come to then with a middle number.

They usually take student loans into consideration- me and my husband both have student loans also

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:41 pm
Can anyone share more details about the people who live there, is it friendly?
Is the community mainly people from Passaic or elsewhere?
Is it ritzy or down to earth?

What do people do in the summers- do they go upstate?
What is a good way to start looking for housing- any real estate agents u would recommend?
TIA!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:38 am
Miriam Lebowitz from Dwell Realty. Great at what she does and extremedy honest.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:39 am
Miriam Lebowitz from Dwell Realty. Great at what she does and extremely honest.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:23 am
the people who are getting scholarships at ybh do you have savings?

Plenty of people from Brooklyn, washington heights etc... moving in.

In terms of school- do you have boys, girls or both? I know people who send one gender to one school and one gender to the other or picked school based on gender of oldest...

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:47 pm
We have two boys and one girl. Why do u ask about savings? As home owners does the tuition board seriously expect you not to have any savings- what if the roof caves in or the washer/dryer breaks etc.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 4:33 pm
We get a scholarship at ybh. Bought a v small house, have no savings, no family help. Make a nice salary on paper but between student loans and babysitting costs (so we can both work full time), we do get a break. They do look at vacations, cars etc etc. They look that families should be able to afford a certain percentage of their salaries toward tuition.

And yeah - if something breaks with the house we are in a lot of trouble.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 5:28 pm
op- see babyblue's response. THAT is why I asked about savings. The person I know who gets a scholarship also doesn't have savings and yes it is beyond stressful for them. I suggest you find out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating