Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Please recommend social skills curriculum for non diagnosis

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:05 am
I'm looking for a good social skills curriculum for my 10 year old who needs a boost in social skills.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:17 am
Feigy Russ has a DVD and shes good.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:22 am
Thanks for the information! Any other replies also welcome!

5*Mom

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:35 pm
Social Skills is a very general umbrella term that encompasses many specific interpersonal and communication skills. It might be helpful to describe your child's specific difficulties so you can get more targeted advice.

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:36 pm
Shalom secrets?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:28 pm
Thanks! has anyone here used Shalom Secrets? It sounds interesting.
Child in question is socially "behind." Tries to get classmates attention by acting silly, and then doesn't understand why the classmates aren't interested. Will visit friends (as a guest), and announce that they don't like the food there. Kind of acts younger than age 10 in social aspects.

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:14 pm
I am a big fan of Social Thinking. You might try their Social Detective book as a starting point. I think that really provides the foundational missing link for kids who are behind and don't get it. You still need to fill in details of what to do or say in certain situations, but many people try to do it the other way, starting with the details of what to do without really understanding why. Social Thinking teaches more of the why and how of participating in a social world. It teaches the kids to look for cues and think about other people in order to figure out what to do, rather than always needing a comprehensive set of rules for everything.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:15 pm
Ever tried any of Michelle Garcia Winner's books?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:22 pm
Thanks! I got the impression that social thinking and Garcia Winner addresses kids on the spectrum. Can it also help kids not on the spectrum? Would the comic style not seem to "youngish" to my kid? (I just don' want them to reject it).

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:14 pm
You might have to get creative but it sounds like he can benefit from the concepts she discusses (expected and unexpected behavior etc). I see now that the poster above me cross posted with more detailed info.

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:21 pm
What 10-year-old is too old for comics?! There are some picture books aimed more toward the preschool set but the other materials area appropriate.

It is not only for kids on the spectrum. The examples you described suggest that your child has a hard time figuring out appropriate behaviors for different situations, which this could help with. If you said your kid has ADHD and his impulsivity makes him do socially inappropriate things which he immediately regrets, you might need a different approach. If you said he has a hard time making friends because he's explosive and sometimes mean, that's different too. But for a kid who just doesn't know what makes social life tick, I think Social Thinking is very helpful.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:31 pm
Thanks so much for the information seeker and everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children