Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
How can DH become a certified translator for the IRS?

mom2six

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:10 pm
He's currently learning in kollel and doing a handful of translations a year for family and friends. He is very good at translating (he was born in America but made aliyah as a child so is fluent in both languages) and is looking for some extra income, so we thought of getting him certified. Does anyone know how to go about this?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 1:04 pm
To the best of my knowledge, I don't think the IRS hires certified translators. But I believe they ask those that have documents in another language, like a kesuba, to be translated for them by a certified translator, at the taxpayers expense. So the taxpayer would hire the translator on their own on an as needed basis.
But I could be wrong.
Some information is provided here about certified translators.
http://blog.rev.com/articles/t.....ator/

shyshira

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 1:27 pm
I agree with ra_mom. Not only does the IRS not certify translators, they do not refer to any agency as certifying 'body' of translators. I'm relying a bit on the state department here - but if a person attaches a statement as follows: https://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/154965.htm

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

That should be sufficient to mean the requirements of of a certified English Translation (as required under Rev. Proc. 2016-1)

mom2six

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:03 pm
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to be clearer: I didn't mean that he would work for the IRS, but when someone in Israel has to provide Hebrew documents to the IRS, the IRS requires that they be translated by a certified translator. We are considering him getting certified so that the IRS would accept his translations.

Ra-mom, that link looks very helpful. Thanks.

Shyshira, I'm not sure that's sufficient for the IRS, based on what they've demanded of us in the past.

shyshira

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 1:03 am
mom2six wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to be clearer: I didn't mean that he would work for the IRS, but when someone in Israel has to provide Hebrew documents to the IRS, the IRS requires that they be translated by a certified translator. We are considering him getting certified so that the IRS would accept his translations.

Ra-mom, that link looks very helpful. Thanks.

Shyshira, I'm not sure that's sufficient for the IRS, based on what they've demanded of us in the past.

Okay. Well this seems to be the most recognized translators association in the US, which provides a certification program.

https://www.atanet.org/certifi.....d.php Hatzlacha!

shyshira

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 1:47 am
shyshira wrote:

https://www.atanet.org/certifi.....d.php Hatzlacha!

adding to this - you can search for Hebrew to English translators here - and see their credentials. That may give you more ideas.

ally

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 2:20 am
Are you in the israel forum? There was a prolific poster who was a translator and I think she may have posted in some threads about this

mom2six

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 5:48 am
Thanks to you both!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics