Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
High cholesterol in kid?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 1:55 am
DC was just checked for cholesterol. Preschool age. Small, underweight. But still high. Besides cutting out cheese, yogurt, fatty meats (which we don't eat)... What else? Doc said limit eggs, only non fat milk.
Any culprits out there that I might not expect? Of course we are looking into family history which exists in my parents and in laws but nothing as kids. Only once hit 60s and up...

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:45 am
My 13 year old skinny cousin has issues with her triglycerides. And I also heard of a seven year old having a heart attack.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:10 am
So what foods will I not expect be bad for those with cholesterol problems?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
So what foods will I not expect be bad for those with cholesterol problems?

Your Dr. should advise you on how much dietary fat your child will need to maintain good health and lower their cholesterol. Exercise is one of the keys to success in this area and reading the labels on all commercial snacks you are giving to her.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:07 pm
Is it routine to check kids for cholesterol?
What made the dr. suspect it?

rachel6543

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:17 pm
Here's an article about some foods which help improve high cholesterol:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/dise.....45192

My mother has high cholesterol and she found that eating oatmeal on a daily basis helped improve her cholesterol levels. She was able to control her cholesterol levels for several years just thru diet. However, as she got older diet didn't work anymore and now she takes medication (along with watching her diet) to control it.

Now I'm not sure how high cholesterol works in little kids and if it's treated differently than adults. If I were you, I would get guidance from my child's pediatrician about what to do and not do. And I would also see a qualified nutritionist for advice about diet recommendations for this issue.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:20 pm
My doctor checked dd at age 8 turns out it was high. She advised us to eat more salmon and healthy fats. Turn out about a short while later she diagnosed with uveitis and jra. I think there might be a connection.

She was somwhat overweight. Not majorly but yes plump.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:49 pm
I've had high cholesterol for many years, since I was little, and I was always and still am underweight. A lot of women in the family have high cholesterol, though it's unknown whether it was a problem when they were kids - genetics plays a role here. How high was it? What were the numbers?

First of all, do NOT cut fatty foods out of a preschooler's diet, especially not an underweight 3 year old. Your child needs eggs and half fat milk and other fatty foods for proper brain development, as well as to keep her weight up. Cutting out fat could be dangerous, and cutting out eggs is pointless (first of all, she needs the protein in order to ain weight, second of all there is no clear correlation between a normal amount of egg consumption and cholesterol, contrary to popular belief).

I strongly recommend you take her to a child nutritionist to determine how to adjust her diet.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
Is it routine to check kids for cholesterol?
What made the dr. suspect it?

Routine.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:22 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Your Dr. should advise you on how much dietary fat your child will need to maintain good health and lower their cholesterol. Exercise is one of the keys to success in this area and reading the labels on all commercial snacks you are giving to her.

What should I look for on nutrition labels?

observer

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:45 am
My pediatrician said that carbs raises cholesterol levels in kids. Pasta, pizza, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics