Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Upper middle class yet somehow tight, ideas to cut expenses
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 7:28 am
Where can I read up more on electricity and water rates during different times of the day?
That's fascinating.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 7:33 am
cnc wrote:
Where can I read up more on electricity and water rates during different times of the day?
That's fascinating.

It is completely dependent on your local utility company so contact them for rate structure.

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 7:38 am
cnc wrote:
That's fascinating.

It is on the bill. The local utility company can also help you with more cost savings.

DH hired an energy consultant. He is an engineer in Rockland. It took us only 3 months to earn his fee back by savings. Plus, at that time we had a tax credit for his fee. It was a win win.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 7:58 am
Squishy wrote:
It is on the bill. The local utility company can also help you with more cost savings.

DH hired an energy consultant. He is an engineer in Rockland. It took us only 3 months to earn his fee back by savings. Plus, at that time we had a tax credit for his fee. It was a win win.

It probably doesn't make sense for a residential user but my building hired a consultant on a contingency to review ALL utility bills. Not just for usage patterns which are hard to control in a building but also for mistakes in billing. He would receive 10% of any savings he found.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 8:13 am
Amarante wrote:
It probably doesn't make sense for a residential user but my building hired a consultant on a contingency to review ALL utility bills. Not just for usage patterns which are hard to control in a building but also for mistakes in billing. He would receive 10% of any savings he found.

I have wondered about this. How can you know ConEd is billing accurately??

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
I have wondered about this. How can you know ConEd is billing accurately??

You can technically check the meters on your own so see if they match your statements.

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 4:16 am
You can also look for Groupons for activities.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:59 pm
OP here, want to check in with an update. I wasn't perfect but I have been making a conscious effort to plan meals, not turn to takeout so easily, and limit spontaneous extra purchases. I just checked with dh, our credit card bill was about 25-30% lower this month!!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Proud of myself, though it definitely helped that there was no yom tov or new season to shop for so it was an easy month. I know Purim and Pesach expenses are coming up, as are spring clothes yikes!

Still proud and will try to keep it up but I know next month won't be as low. I will be hosting a big Purim Seuda, sending personal and corporate mishloach manos, and start spring shopping at some point. For now, though, yay me 👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻

Happydance

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:04 pm
Yay you is right!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:23 pm
rlm, thanks! The question is if I can keep it up, which I know I can't with Yomim Tovim coming up. Definitely proud of myself for now though!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:27 pm
Good job! Spring is a transition season so you don't necessarily need a whole new wardrobe. Lots of things can be repurposed.

LittleDucky

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 10:44 pm
Yay you!
Use a similar savings mindset- you have done well! And remember- you will always have more and less expensive months. But make conscious spending choices.
Find clothing that has multiple uses- mix and match sets, stuff that will also work for summer etc. I wear the same stuff for spring and summer- just add a light jacket or something.

Decide what you are serving for chag (Purim or pesach) based off of logic, finances and reason. Use sales, find substitutions and buy shelf stable packaged stuff now if on sale. And personal MM don't need to be fancy! Corporate I get, they need to impress, but that's a business expense right?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 7:19 am
When it comes to you tov, especially food shopping, we usually aren't very frugal. We host a lot, place large meat orders at an expensive butcher, etc. I don't think my husband will want to change any of that, I'll ask but l'kovod yt and with guests, I think he'll say no.

I'm going to have to keep squelching those impulse purchases and try not to shop. It's not only the new seasons, it's the kids outgrowing things also.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 3:36 pm
Im answering late: 25-30 percent is great in such a short time! I was thinking of a new credit line :-( . Lets keep this post open forever. I love it. I need it!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 3:44 pm
One funny/ crazy thing happening here. I wanted very much something close to 2000 and told my husband I will forgo extra maids before pessach! Ouch! But I wanted very very much that thing for a very very long time! It cannot be written here or youl all recognize me. Is very very important for me! So I will only keep the once a week maid!!! Wish me good luck! I better start bedroom now!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics