Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Semi professional camera recommendations?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 1:35 pm
Does anybody have any recommendations of a good quality semi professional camera? Photography is a hobby of mine however I am not trained (and right now don't have time for a course) so I am interested in investing in a semi professional camera that takes nice pictures, isn't too complicated to figure out and won't break the bank. any suggestions would be helpful!
Anon because I asked around tons irl!
(under this forum because I find that when people can suggest amother, there are more suggestions!)
Thanks!

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 8:32 pm
Canon rebel slr. Two models I know are good are sl1 (little smaller body) or t6. Comes with lense and u can find on amazon with accessories for a few more $.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 10:45 pm
I just started taking a course. Everyone got the canon rebel T6i and if not then Nikon. If you are going to want to eventually go into it professionally then I would recommend Nikon because professionally they are better cameras so it's smarter to get used to Nikon settings. But if it's a hobby then either canon or Nikon is totally fine.

Nikon I would recommend the Nikon 5300 is great to start and because not newest model it's a great price with extra lenses.

And you are right if not for amother I wouldn't respond.

sourstix

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 10:48 pm
Call up b&h photo in NYC. They are very knowledgeable in cameras. I was told by many that they specifically have the service of helping people figure out what's a good camera for you. They specialize in this. I don't know if they do this on the phone though. You would need to call.

It's a frum Jewish company located in manhattan.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:00 pm
I went to b and h and Did not really find them helpful though they have that name.

I traveled down to store and basically they have kiosk with each company separately so you can let's say go to canon and ask about those cameras. Then if you want after deciding from each company what you like best there is another counter to review. But I didn't really find representatives helpful if you didn't know anything. So I felt that my over an hour travel to store was a waste.

Then I spoke to people who work professionally and ask their advice and then I called b and h to order and decided before I place my order I'll ask what they think I should get. Representative was totally off and when I told what was recommended to me based on my research and my needs he said I am correct.

So honestly I don't know how fast I would trust their representatives.

A different time I wanted to order a tripod and wanted it to go really low. Representative said that I can only get certain tripod that didn't have all my needs so I bought it. Then next day I had time and read on their websites different ones and found exactly what I needed based on the specs from their web site that I'm sure their representative had access to.

So I don't think all their representatives are that knowledagle.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:05 am
amother wrote:
I just started taking a course. Everyone got the canon rebel T6i and if not then Nikon. If you are going to want to eventually go into it professionally then I would recommend Nikon because professionally they are better cameras so it's smarter to get used to Nikon settings. But if it's a hobby then either canon or Nikon is totally fine.

Nikon I would recommend the Nikon 5300 is great to start and because not newest model it's a great price with extra lenses.

And you are right if not for amother I wouldn't respond.

As a professional photographer I keep hearing this myth. I have many, many photographer friends and almost all of them use Canon. Nikon users will switch over to Canon more often then not. The colors dont compare.

And again, you are right I would not post if its wasnt amother embarrassed

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:10 am
All the photographers I spoke to use Nikon. They said that if you shoot the same pose and setting on a Nikon and on canon hands down the nikon is a much better and sharper shot.

It's a lot of personal preference but I did a lot of research and most use Nikon.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:09 am
Thank you so much for everyone who took out time to answer! I will look into all the above suggestions Smile

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:02 pm
if you are going for a dslr, get a canon and nikon.

they both have a range of cameras for consumers, prosumers, and professionals.

Personally, im a nikon girl all the way. but that my preference. I have photography friends who inly use canon and those who only use nikon. I think canon is better for studio and nikon is netter for natural light/outdoors but just imho.

Also, I think getting a good lens is more important then the camera. dont use a kit lens. it really makes a difference. camera models come and go, but if you get a good lens, its an investment. and you'll see a difference in your images even if you dont have an expensive camera.

what kind of photography do u enjoy? what is your budget?

good luck

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:13 pm
Canon versus Nikon is like Pepsi versus Coke. They each have diehard fans and are awesome products.

As a professional photographer interacting with many other professional photogs, canon versus Nikon is about 50-50 split.

I'd recommend an older, professional camera, versus a newer semi-pro camera. And then read UNderstanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and shoot in manual mode so you always have full control.

Look at the Nikon D700 (the models with three digits are pro cameras. The models with four digits like the D7000 are semi-pro). You can't buy the D700 new anymore, but you can find it on eBay and Amazon. If you want it with a warranty, look at B&H's used department or KEH .com.

Your lens will make a far greater difference jab your camera.

I'd recommend the 50 f/1.8 for starters, about $100. Then the 85f/1.8, about $350 used.

Personally, I use the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200f/2.8 the majority of the time, along with the D700, which I love. You can see my work at Instagram.com/chaya_braun_photography

You also want to think about whether you'll be shooting indoors or outdoors, using only natural light or using speed lights or strobes.

Hatzlachah and have fun!!!

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:27 pm
I had a great experience shopping at Adorama. They're also in the city and also frum owned. Their store footprint was smaller than B&H and I really got personalized attention. Granted that was some years ago but I've interacted with them periodically through the years and I don't think it has changed too much.

42 West 18th Street New York, NY10011
855-530-0920
www.adorama.com

They also do printing at
www.adoramapix.com
(B&H actually recommended Adorama to me)

doctorima

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:01 pm
cbsp wrote:
I had a great experience shopping at Adorama. [snip]
(B&H actually recommended Adorama to me)

Off topic, but what does this mean? Why would B&H recommend their competitor to you? What can Adorama sell you that you can't also get at B&H?

cbsp

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 6:02 pm
doctorima wrote:
Off topic, but what does this mean? Why would B&H recommend their competitor to you? What can Adorama sell you that you can't also get at B&H?

Not everything is about business. Mi k'amcha Yisroel. Both companies are frum owned and operated.

I was working on 23rd street between 5th and 6th at the time and I asked about purchasing and developing my film(!). I do not remember if B&H did film development at the time - I think they may have, I have a vague recollection of little film canisters riding along the ceiling of the store in these little cable cars that they used to ferry items from one part of the store to another. In any event, the rep recommended I use Adorama (even for film purchasing, which B&H definitely sold) since they were located much closer to where I was working and why should I shlep so far.

It ended up working to my advantage for other reasons, including the times when I wasn't going into work and one of the Adorama reps brought my developed pictures back to Brooklyn.

utissis

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 6:04 pm
We have a mirror less Fuji x100t beautiful image quality compact not complicated to use. A little pricey but worth it.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 7:06 pm
The Sony A6000 is also a mirrorless and is a great camera as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics