Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Whirlpool washer service under warranty, Question

L K

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 2:04 pm
I got a new Whirlpool washing machine 6 months ago, still under warranty.

A month ago it started freezing at some point during wash cycle, and needs to be paused/restarted to resume washing.

Today, it started spraying and leaking hot water from where the supply line is attached to the machine. Reattaching it didn't help. Metal washer doesn't go straight onto the plastic part that's sticking out from the back of the machine, and the tread on that plastic piece looks partially worn.

Whirlpool customer service said the tech will check out the "freezing" issue but won't fix the leak because that is the installation problem. I tried arguing explaining I've had it work just fine for 6 months, when all of a sudden it started leaking. She said, maybe your water pressure changed, or you shut off and reopened water yada-yada, which caused this. I countered, that there was no change, no leak last night and yes leak this morning. I advised the tech should have that plastic part on hand. Rep said, ok, they'll look at it but won't order any parts prior to seeing the machine.

Have you had any experience with it?
Arghhhhh Baruch hashem, I had bulk of my laundry done last night.

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 3:32 pm
Ok so I've contacted whirlpool; they sent me a repairman (they made appt for Friday, I changed it directly with the company for Wednesday).

Repair company was planning to order 2 parts, which were supposed to be delivered by tomorrow.

Now, the repair company says water valve is available; computer part isn't (if they changed the valve I would be able to use the machine immediately). In the meantime, they aren't allowed to come down to repair the water valve so I can start using the machine.
At this point, whirlpool is trying to get the computer part. If they locate one within several biz days,they'll ship it to the repair company; so it can be another week till it's fixed.

If they don't find the part they're supposed to replace the machine, which can also take I don't know how long.

Anyone had manufacturers warranty and stayed without a working machine for 2 weeks?

I feel like such a shmatte, I can't even get a stupid washing machine fixed.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 3:54 pm
Sorry.

When I didn't have a machine for a few weeks I took my clothing in garbage bags to a laundry mat and did it all at once. It didn't take too long (I brought it home wet to dry at home)

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 4:37 pm
Husband offered to go to the laundromat, I'm not desperate yet to send him, don't want him to bother (I'm home with kids off from school and a newborn). I may have to send him eventually because I can wash pants and tights in my laundry sink but scrubbing white shirts would be too much.

Where's a clean nice laundromat in Lakewood?

I just feel like such a helpless shmatte, that we paid for a machine and I can't even get anyone to fix it, and whirlpool gets away with a murder.

ETA: sky, thank you for reading my long rant and for validation.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 4:43 pm
you can look for the part on-line ... what is the model number?

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 4:59 pm
btw ~ I hear their reasoning the computer is their fault but not a washer/hose

however, they should fix it just the same & not make a big deal imho

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:09 pm
greenfire wrote:
you can look for the part on-line ... what is the model number?

Thanks for the idea greenie.

I don't have a clue what part of the computer they want to obtain, but it's on them really. If they can't get hold of one they're supposedly replacing the machine. I imagine it would be better for me, cause my machine now has a very visible water damage on the back, don't know if it affected anything inside.

Btw, wall behind the machines got damaged too. Paint puffed up over one large-ish area. I wonder if I should strip it, let dry and repaint to prevent mold or rotting studs and Sheetrock.

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:12 pm
greenfire wrote:
btw ~ I hear their reasoning the computer is their fault but not a washer/hose

however, they should fix it just the same & not make a big deal imho

My reasoning that if it suddenly bursts after 6 months of use- it's not installation issue.

Thank god, the repairman didn't even bring up that idea that manufacturer had. He took one look at the attachment spot, said yep tread is stripped we gotta replace it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:41 pm
yes you want the cost to be on them ... otherwise it's great to troubleshoot on line & find the right part - if you can handle tools & time with a little dirt on your hands [something I do & just recently did for my mother's washing machine] ... it's a fraction of the cost of a repairman

as for the paint bubbling behind the washer the answer is a definitive YES ... scrape, wash & fan dry, plaster if needed before you prime & paint

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:54 pm
Not just the cost, which could be a lot when you're talking about parts. I don't want to void the warranty by taking the machine apart without a licensed repair service. That's the point of having warranty in the first place isn't it

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:58 pm
right ~ but not something I buy into because normally things go wrong the day after the warranty expires - lol

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 6:11 pm
greenfire wrote:
right ~ but not something I buy into because normally things go wrong the day after the warranty expires - lol

Lol, that's why I got a 6yr warranty. Been advised they don't make machines like they used to

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 6:13 pm
Btw, just checked that the stupid plastic valve is $80 with delivery. It gives you and idea how much they may charge for a more sophisticated part.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 6:36 pm
can you give me your model # I am really curious

sky

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 8:11 pm
Greenfire - I also fix a lot of my appliacnes - fridge, washer, dryer, oven, dishwasher,

Until I got some new appliances. the ones with computers are killers. its not like replacing the door sensor button in the old washers. The parts alone are a fortune - and if its under warranty and you do it yourself it may void the entire warranty (like if someone not licensed touches it).

I also get warranties for everyhting I buy now. They cost more then an 1/8 of the appliance - but I've been told by everyone it is worth it - and that these new expensive appliances don't even last past 10 years. Leaves you wishing for the good old days.

Now that I hear you have a newborn I feel really bad for you - they need lots of laundry. There is a laundry mat down rt 88 that is pretty decent. We took it to the one that shares the parking lot with NPGS on rt 88, while not new it was clean and got the job done quickly. Good luck I hope you get it resolved quickly.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 8:18 pm
yup ~ the good ole days before everything was computerized ... machines worked longer and parts inexpensive to replace yourself

motherboards carry a load & can get messed up from a surge of electric during a storm

rachel6543

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 9:32 pm
I'm sorry you're going through this! My dishwasher was just broken for 2 weeks (of course broke after Shabbos when I had a ton of dishes to wash) and I was going crazy with all the dirty dishes. I have had little energy to wash things by hand. I used lots of disposable until it was fixed. Unfortunately my dishwasher was out of warranty and it took a week for my new pump to even get delivered! But now it's fixed and my kitchen is back to order. My repair man said my dishwasher should (hopefully) now be good another 4 years before I'll actually have to replace it with a new one.

L K

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 11:02 pm
Sky, thank you for your suggestion.

Greenie, like you and sky I like to fix things by myself as much as possible. But as sky mentioned, you can't touch an appliance lest you may void the warranty. parts are so expensive and new things do tend to break, so it appears more economical (though apparently not necessarily convenient) to stick with warranties.

Incidentally, this newborn generates least laundry compared to other kids. He keeps his things pretty clean, no undies, socks or ketchup-stained school clothes. And he doesn't care for white shabbos shirts yet.

Rachel, I totally hear you. My dishwasher these days is parve, so I use just a few real plates for adults on shabbos. That And a few pots and serving dishes I can still wash. If I don't get to them, they sit in the sink till cleaning lady comes. That's not too pretty but I tolerate it. I'm dreaming of a second dishwasher. And a third one. Maybe I should actually find a spot to install them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics