Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Were you able to stuff the genie back into the bottle?
Previous  1  2

browser

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 10:25 pm
There are all the beliefs we have been educated or fed , and then a thinking person has to form his/her own beliefs and make a conscious choice. To be a frum Jew , its not wrong to go through this process. Think of Avrohom Avinu recognizing that there is a G-d.
As frum Jews we live by the torah, but the ere r so many "social laws" that don't necessarily align with everyone . I think that may be why many ppl feel trapped in the system.
Personalize your frumkeit -and I think everyone's faith is a scale not a constant.

Laiya

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 10:40 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
What if intellectually and spiritually you love everything about yiddishkeit, but the people you are forced to work with and live with are really disgusting in comparison to your social circle growing up

There are good and bad people everywhere

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
actually it means faith as in faithful to our creator.

I thought it meant, true

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 2:23 am
amother wrote:
actually it means faith as in faithful to our creator.

It's translated as faith. The literal translation is belief. להאמין.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:06 am
amother wrote:

And I've heard reputable sources say that it means belief in being absolutely provably true, and having faith, but not blind faith, and educated faith if you will. I heard Rabbi Tatz give this analogy: if you're choosing a surgeon, you will do all the research you can and feel pretty good and secure about your decision. So it is with faith, or belief, or whatever in the RBSh"O. As finite beings we can't prove anything 100% but we can see enough, through careful study of this world*, that choosing faith can actually be quite an educated and informed decision.

*I was sure I saw something but can't find it now, a quote from Rav Moshe Shapira, zt"l on how incredible science is now as a tool to see how Hashem runs the world, and how more and more such secrets are being revealed. So maybe don't pass it on as fact.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:24 am
amother wrote:

I always learned "l'haamin" = to believe.

In any case iirc that "emuna" comes from "amnam"--it is true

Obv they're both related

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:25 am
PinkFridge wrote:
And I've heard reputable sources say that it means belief in being absolutely provably true, and having faith, but not blind faith, and educated faith if you will. I heard Rabbi Tatz give this analogy: if you're choosing a surgeon, you will do all the research you can and feel pretty good and secure about your decision. So it is with faith, or belief, or whatever in the RBSh"O. As finite beings we can't prove anything 100% but we can see enough, through careful study of this world*, that choosing faith can actually be quite an educated and informed decision.

*I was sure I saw something but can't find it now, a quote from Rav Moshe Shapira, zt"l on how incredible science is now as a tool to see how Hashem runs the world, and how more and more such secrets are being revealed. So maybe don't pass it on as fact.

So it's all three: faith, belief and true Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics