Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do a course late in the day?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 2:51 pm
So I'm considering doing a course for a skill which I find enjoyable. It wouldn't help professionally in my current job, but would help if I wanted to make a career move in the future. I'm not planning on making a career move in the next 10 years though. But the course is going to be given for free, 5 minutes from my office, and I have 2 friends going.

But, the course is once a week in the evening, and it would mean that one day every week, my daughter wouldn't see me basically the entire day, for about 5 months. And likely that evening, neither my husband or I would be home, or see her after the morning. She's only 4, and although I'm sure it wouldn't permanently mess her up, it would still be hard for her. When I was that age, my father worked late once a week, and I still remember feeling so sad about it, and promising myself I would never do it to my own kids. And to have one day a week when neither parent is around aside from an hour or so in the morning is not such a good thing.

Essentially, it's a good opportunity for me both personally and professionally, but also a bad option for me in a different way personally and in terms of family. I know there's no clear right or wrong answer, but I'm quite conflicted about what to do.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions, etc.

bookie

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:20 pm
Honestly I would not do it. I had neighbors who were not home a couple of nights a week for their kids. I saw and heard first hand how hard it was for their kids. If this not something that would affect you for ten years I would not do it.

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 5:32 pm
Once a week? Why is that a big deal? If you otherwise spend some quality time with your child during the rest of the week, there is absolutely no reason why she should be negatively affected from not seeing you one day a week. Sounds a little dramatic to me.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:01 pm
I am planning on taking one over the summer but mine costs money. It will help my parnonssah which will make me a less stressed person. I see my kids 6 other nights a week. I think you should go for it.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:39 pm
I can't speak for anyone but myself... but I personally would not. It's hard to explain why I wouldn't, it's something that's not tangible I guess.

Hope that helps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics