Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Therapists expected to diaper students
Previous  1  2

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Some good reasons were given why the therapist shouldn't do it. But as a child care worker, I found some of the comments condescending.

I was always apologetic when bringing a child back with a diaper to the classroom because I didn't want to make it seem like I thought I was too good for it it just wasn't my job.

2cents

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Aren't you amother? I don't my profession to be known for my screenname.

Right, but the poster you quoted was commenting on why people feel like they have to post an explanation for being anonymous. She wasn't questioning why they choose to post as amother, but rather why they feel like they have to explain themselves.

2cents

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
Some good reasons were given why the therapist shouldn't do it. But as a child care worker, I found some of the comments condescending.

I totally agree. Taking care of children is a job that requires immense patience, and a giving heart. And changing a child's diaper (while not a PT's job) is a nurturing, Gdlike, act of kindness.

I worked in a daycare for a year while doing morning seminary and evening college, and although that was many years ago, a few of the comments did read as condescending. Changing a child's diaper is not the same as, say, scrubbing out dirty public restrooms.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:43 pm
No way I'm putting my hands anywhere near a child's covered areas. These days you just can't be too careful with that, all you need is one child to say to the wrong person that you touched them and there goes your career, forever.

The farthest I'll go is if a young child needs to use the bathroom during my session and is able to do so independently, I'll take them and stand by the door until they're done. There are always school personnel coming and going so if help is needed I can flag one down. I'm wary even of helping a child open their zipper, though I've done it a couple of times when they were literally going to have an accident if someone didn't help them get their pants down.

That's as a therapist. I have also been a day care teacher and there my roles and responsibilities were different and of course I did diapering and toileting help.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
I was always apologetic when bringing a child back with a diaper to the classroom because I didn't want to make it seem like I thought I was too good for it it just wasn't my job.

Same here. There were many times that I changed this child's diaper at his home when his mother was around and needed an extra hand with the dressing/undressing tantrum. But that was under her watch so no liability issues. I now work with other children( for many hours where this would come up) and was told even if mom allows I should not change diapers because of liabilities.

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 3:15 am
I am so so glad we are talking about preschoolers here. I read the title and was afraid there was some new sick thing going on

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 8:41 am
Op here I want to clarify the asked someone else and this is the school rule- I'm horrified- I would like to say something to my supervisor- any ideas?

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 9:27 am
Is this in a legal place?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 9:32 am
I'm pretty sure you're legally not supposed to.

Just tell them that.

(Having said that, I do see it from the teachers perspective too. You have the easy job, with one child, in a quiet room, so it seems ridiculous to the teachres that you can't even change one diaper once in a while when it happens during your time.)

miami85

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:00 am
I worked in special Ed preschools for many years--a few different ones and they all had similar policies. Nothing "illegal" about therapists changing a diaper. They run a background check on you for a reason. The only "stipulation" I've ever heard was that male therapists weren't supposed to change females, but females could change males or females. The therapists never loved that policy b/c it meant that they would have to end their session early to go to the classroom to get a diaper and then go change him/her, so it was a nuisance.

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:13 am
For me, it's not about ickiness. If a kid were at my home in my charge, I'd change them without batting an eye.

It's about the job description and responsibilities. Time spent on changing is time that could be spent doing something that not everyone else is trained to do.

And that is not at all meant as a put down of any teachers or aides.

I have great respect for those who drive professionally, but I would not expect a therapist to be a chauffeur, unless it were a special situation. I have great respect and gratitude for babysitters, but am not allowed to treat the therapists who help DS in our home like babysitters; I have to be present in the home for the sessions. I have great respect for doctors, but would not ask a cardiologist to do my general checkup.

OP, I'd be inclined to just factually report the incident to your supervisor, and ask her to clarify agency policy.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:46 am
amother wrote:
Op here I want to clarify the asked someone else and this is the school rule- I'm horrified- I would like to say something to my supervisor- any ideas?

Are you working for an agency or for the school? If agency I'd ask the agency what to do. If they feel that it is reasonable and not a liability for you, then you do it. As someone else said, it's far more convenient for you than for the teachers. You're paid for the same time anyway as long as the child is there, and it's not like you could have made up the therapeutic time anyway because when you gotta go, you gotta go.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics