Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Eggplant parmesan

applesandhoney

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 11:43 am
When making eggplant parm., how long do you let the sliced eggplant sit in salt to draw out the moisture? Thanks.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:00 pm
I never wait ... don't even add salt

just do the flour/egg/breadcrumbs & it works just fine

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:05 pm
Between a half hour and an hour. I also weigh it with a plate and some cans on top.

It not only draws out moisture but makes the eggplant taste better as it draws off the bitterness. It also makes the eggplant more tender in my experience as the process breaks down the cells.

Just remember to carefully wash off salt. :-)

applesandhoney

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:44 pm
Thank you. Another question - do you peel the eggplants before cooking or leave the peel on? I wonder if it adds to the bitterness.

I made eggplant parm. tonight and forgot to add the breadcrumbs and eggs! So much for thinking I was a successful multi-tasker.

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:49 pm
applesandhoney wrote:
Thank you. Another question - do you peel the eggplants before cooking or leave the peel on? I wonder if it adds to the bitterness.

I made eggplant parm. tonight and forgot to add the breadcrumbs and eggs! So much for thinking I was a successful multi-tasker.

I peel it as I don't really like the peel.

If you use the skinny Japanese eggplants, you don't have to go through the salting process because they aren't bitter and don't seem to have as much moisture.

I try to use them in most eggplant dishes because I prefer the taste but obviously doesn't work well for Parmesan where you want large slices.

The Japanese eggplant does work well in an eggplant tian or gratin type of dish though where you don't need the large slices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals