Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Burning the bottom of my challahs!
Previous  1  2

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:06 am
cozyblanket wrote:
So which ones work?

I don't think it's the size of my pans but rather the make (and color?) that affects my challos. My dark cookie sheet produces the worst results. I have the oval shaped challah pans that are sold in the Jewish owned kitchen gadget stores. Those are pretty good. The disposable challah tins also work very well with a good spray of pam.
When I rush things and use two oven racks, I will also end up with uneven results. So I only do that if I'm major rushing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:44 am
cozyblanket wrote:
More info: I usually have to keep the challahs in longer than 30 min. I take them out to check and they are definately not done so I have to put them back. But the ones that are burnt on the bottom are already like that. And the ones that are fine stay fine. the burning seems to happen very early on when the challahs are still very very doughy. Any more thoughts with this additional info?

Thanks everyone!

Are the ones near the back wall of the oven the ones burning?

perquacky

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:25 am
Sounds to me like you're putting too many pans in at once. I know my oven can't handle baking things on two racks. (My oven is very old and will soon be replaced.) Nothing seems to bake evenly, even if I rotate the pans. I have to bake everything on one rack at a time.

lucky14

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:32 am
Yeah it takes me a little longer to make my challahs because I do them on two batches. They wouldn't come out good if I put them on two racks in my oven. This may be your problem. Or try switching the trays in the racks in the middle (though remember opening up the oven cools it off so you may have to cook them a bit longer. It may not even really help, but I guess it's worth trying if you really HAVE to put them all in at once).

lucky14

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:37 am
cm wrote:
Baking temps are usually based on use of lighter color metal pans. Dark color pans absorb heat so the outside of your baked goods will bake more quickly. When using dark pans for baking, reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees F. There are lighter-color nonstick pans, but most are dark, so keep this in mind.

SO interesting! I bake/cook a lot and never knew exactly what counted as a "dark" pan (you know how on the cake mix boxes they give the oven temp for diff pan types). I always did mine for the "light" ones! haha. So I should adjust it for ALL recipes then? No wonder my baking comes out rawish on the inside sometimes, yet crispy on the outside. I always thought my oven was just messed up.

Laiya

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:46 am
I used to have this problem. Here's a solution that I read once on the King Arthur flour website (I think?) a while back and has worked like a charm:

Double the cookie sheets!!

I use one light-colored metal, heavy cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper (not sprayed), AND a disposable tin cookie sheet underneath. No idea whether the color or weight of the cookie sheets matter, or the parchment paper, etc.

I do over-crowd the sheet. Bake at 375 on lower oven rack.

Since I started doubling the cookie sheets, my bottoms have never burned. It's still definitely possible to over-bake, and the challos will come out a bit dry, but they won't burn.

Hth.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 7:05 am
cozyblanket wrote:
I make a lot at once. I want to use two racks. How can I use two racks (4 pans of challahs) without one of them being too low? I have to do 2 batches in the oven anyway...if I only used one rack, that would be 4 times!! Any thoughts?

when using two racks, you're supposed to switch racks midway. or you can simply take out the pans on the lower rack sooner.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 9:15 am
you could easily have an issue with the oven thermostat regulator ... good ovens are a must if you bake

also take the already baked challahs off the hot pans because they will continue cooking even out of the oven

when tapped on the bottom they should sound hollow when fully baked

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 9:30 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Please explain what you mean. Are you suggesting like other people to use disposable?

No. I use cookie sheets. That's what they are called.
Anytime I try using half sheet pans, my challah burns on the bottom. You need light metal sheets that are even and meant for cookie baking

LovetoLive

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:34 am
Do you wait until the oven is fully preheated before putting the challos in? Or do you put them in when you are almost fully preheated because you are rushing?
When the oven is preheating the flame is hotter than usual and will burn the bottoms.
I learned this from experience. So now I always wait until the oven is at the right temperature before putting the challah in.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads