Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Medicaid restrictions regarding cash in the bank
Previous  1  2

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:02 am
It might be a problem and you can definitely ask at your local community council.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
op here....I'm actually asking for a friend. The family lives in Brooklyn. Husband and wife both have low paying cash jobs. I'm not sure if they legitimately qualify, I didn't ask. They get help for summer sleep away camps from parents and they deposited several thousand dollars into their bank account. My friend called me last night concerned that they had a lot of money sitting in their account and what the ramifications might be on their medicaid. I don't know what type of medicaid they have.

Im in Brooklyn and Im on medicaid and all they ask for is paystubs. They dont look at your bank. Nachas Healthcare and Yeled Vyalda help people get on medicaid and Obamacare for free - look up their numbers and give them a call.

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
I do not know the OP, but let's assume it's something like this. OP's husband is in kollel. OP has 10 kids bli ayin hara. MIL gave them X number of dollars, and says that the money can only be spent on a downpayment for a house, kid's tuition, new shoes, or whatever.

So, there's money in savings, but they're not supposed to touch it. Meanwhile, one of the kids needs medical assistance. MIL says "don't you dare touch that money. You qualify for Medicaid. That's what the programs are there for." What is OP supposed to do?

If her MIL says she wants to help with a downpayment then she can hold the money and pay it directly to the bank/seller. She can pay tuition directly to the school, and she can take the kids shopping and spend some time with them. What she CAN'T do is put it into her DIL's bank account and put her DIL in the position of having to lie/commit fraud.

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:18 pm
Marion wrote:
If her MIL says she wants to help with a downpayment then she can hold the money and pay it directly to the bank/seller. She can pay tuition directly to the school, and she can take the kids shopping and spend some time with them. What she CAN'T do is put it into her DIL's bank account and put her DIL in the position of having to lie/commit fraud.

Those are examples of gifts which are non-taxable income which count towards Medicaid eligibility. The money mil saves is not the recipient's until she relinquishes control or uses it for benefit of the family.

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 4:05 pm
Squishy wrote:
Those are examples of gifts which are non-taxable income which count towards Medicaid eligibility. The money mil saves is not the recipient's until she relinquishes control or uses it for benefit of the family.

I was responding to the poster who said that maybe there's money in the bank account but that it can't be touched because it's for something specific and there are "strings attached" to it. My thought was that if someone wants to attach strings, then they should keep control of said strings...in their own bank account!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 4:10 pm
Laiya wrote:
Yes. She is telling her to commit fraud.

I'm mortified.

(Mortified means extremely embarrassed. You probably meant to write "horrified.")

Laiya

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
(Mortified means extremely embarrassed. You probably meant to write "horrified.")

LOL!! I guess I was horrified too, but no, I actually meant, utterly embarrassed. On her behalf. Even if she has no problem with such behavior, she should've felt ashamed to post it.

I was mortified.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics