Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is this weird?

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 1:45 pm
There's a name DH and I both like and agree on, which is a big deal. It has significance to me because it's the name of a tzadik from a previous generation whose stories have inspired me since I was very young. Additionally I have always loved this name - the sound of it, the meaning, significance in Tanach, etc.

BUT...

It's the same name as a friend of mine from the past who I dated on and off in college, before I met DH. We haven't been in touch at all in years, and even when we dated it was short-lived and never developed into anything much more than a friendship. Additionally, this name is similar to one of my children's middle names (just the sound of it, not the meaning or shoresh).

DH knows about all of this and doesn't mind. He thinks we should use the name anyway. I just worry that people (ie. family and friends who know about my past relationship) will think it's weird. I know they'll eventually get over it, but I would hate to hear comments about it. The middle name issue is also a little funny to me, though, because my child with the similar middle name goes by both names. It would be kind of like having a child named "Yehuda Aryeh" and then naming this child "Aharon Tzvi," but planning to only call him "Aharon." (Just making up a similar scenario).

Is this too weird, or do my reasons for wanting to use the name outweigh the weirdness?

agreer

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 1:58 pm
Not weird at all. Use the name and enjoy.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 2:35 pm
Thank you!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 12:05 pm
I actually have a vary similar story-wanting to name after someone and will probably have people thinking it's because of someone I would prefer not to remember. But I feel that as long as I know the truth, and I love this name and the person being named after, it's worth it.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 3:27 pm
My friend recently decided not to use a name that she and her husband really liked, because it was the ame of an old boyfriend. I thought that was really weird - if your married to someone else and this old boyfriend is not part of your life, who cares? I thought it was weird not to use a name because of this.

We can't rule out names in life just because other people had them. Use the name you want and enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names