Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How to eliminate his nap

SingALong

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:21 pm
Do age 3 is still taking a significant nap each day (45 min to 2 hours). The times he only sleeps for 45 min is when I wake him up. If I wouldn't wake him he'll easily sleep for 3 hours. Problem is then he's up till 10-11 at night. Even with his small 45 min nap he can be up till 9 and I have a very hard time putting him to sleep. A few times I was strict and didn't let him nap he went to bed like a dream at 6:30-7. His siblings are all in bed by 7, they outgrew their nap and him running around making noise disrupts their bedtime. And wakes them up
His routine is when he comes home from Morah at 2:00 he right away asks for a blanket and a bottle. It's kind of his relaxing time after being by Morah. He usually falls asleep and then I wake him 45 min later when I need to pick up next kid from Morah.

Is it mean if I hide his blanket and bottles and just distract him by reading books and playing? It's so late and he's still going strong!!! Any ideas or advice?

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:50 pm
naps are killer. if my two yr old naps for even 45 min shell be up until 10. If you feel bad not giving him his blanket and bottle - give it to him and sit next to him and talk to him to make sure he doesnt fall asleep.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:53 pm
he obviously can't nap earlier because he's not home. maybe if he wakes up later in the morning, and goes to sleep earlier at night He may not be getting enough sleep at night. But whats wrong with him taking a nap during the day? Its normal for a three year old to still need a short afternoon nap. but if hes sleeping for 3 hours he probably not getting enough sleep at night.Start eliminating his nap any move up his bedtime and wakeup time by 15 at a time. See how it goes if he still
tired, bring back the nap. If he just seems to need to calm down and relax put on soothing music and have quiet time. Hope it works out

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:08 pm
Three years old, and he still has a bottle? shock He is old enough to use a regular cup. Blankets should always stay in the bed. Please don't tell me he still has a paci at that age!

Keep him busy until bedtime. If you don't let him fall asleep, he'll get used to going to bed earlier. It might take a week or two, but his body will adjust. He might be kvetchy at first, but you can't give in.

Have him help you in the kitchen, fold laundry, or sweep the floor. Give him some baby wipes, and have him wash the fronts of the lower cabinets. Puzzles, Lego, and MagnaTiles will help keep him awake, too.

Mommastuff

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 8:51 pm
My 3 yr old is also still taking a nap and he's up till 10pm at least.

If I wake him up earlier in the morning, he will be so tired at camp.
If I let him nap after camp, its too late to start a nap.

If he skips a nap (I'd have to keep him constantly busy), by bedtime, he's bonkers - and it still doesn't keep him nap-less the next days.

How do I get him on a normal schedule without a nap???!!

Help, please!

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 11:28 pm
when my child has outgrown his nap, but still wants to sleep, I don't let him and put up with the afternoon crankiness for a few days to a few weeks until he gets used to it.

tf

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 11:48 pm
Put him back to sleep in the morning if he wakes up early.

When he comes home from Morah, play with him quiet calm games, or read an interesting story. He needs to relax a bit. He has had a hectic day in school.

Try weaning him from his bottle first, and then from his blanket. There are sippy cups, but 3 year old children can drink from regular cups already. Sippy cups can be used for transitioning if absolutely necessary. Blankets are only for bedtime, transitioning may be more effective than going cold turkey.

If he has difficulty keeping himself up until 6:30-7, put him to sleep somewhat earlier, but not too early.

The first few days/weeks may be hard, but it'll pay off.

tf

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 11:49 pm
Put him back to sleep in the morning if he wakes up early.

When he comes home from Morah, play with him quiet calm games, or read an interesting story. He needs to relax a bit. He has had a hectic day in school.

Try weaning him from his bottle first, and then from his blanket. There are sippy cups, but 3 year old children can drink from regular cups already. Sippy cups can be used for transitioning if absolutely necessary. Blankets are only for bedtime, transitioning may be more effective than going cold turkey.

If he has difficulty keeping himself up until 6:30-7, put him to sleep somewhat earlier, but not too early.

The first few days/weeks may be hard, but it'll pay off.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 5:32 am
I have the same problem...
My son seems happiest when I let him nap, and then put him in bed between 8:30/9.
I'm happiest when he doesn't nap, and goes to bed at 7:30 (rare).
I feel bad forcing him to skip a nap when he begs for it. He'll just lay down on the floor/couch and go to sleep anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers