Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving to Toms River and Jackson is moving to LAKEWOOD!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 1:13 pm
As more and more people move to Jackson and Toms River, the people who moved there to get away from it may find Lakewood is following them.

And it's true - they still depend on Lakewood for certain things, so there is a certain amount of conformity needed.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 1:21 pm
summer0808 wrote:
actually there are yidden along Kent Road in Howell. Lakewood is very frum up to the Howell border.

What I think OP is trying to express is that although there are alot of advantages to living in Lakewood, that is the infrastructure. that is the con of TR & Jackson as well.

You might think you can be more out of the box there but at the end of the day you are subject to Lakewood schools and will have to conform. Even BY of Western Monmouth moved into Lakewood!

I know Lakewood is fully frum up to the Howell border. Even in the Brookhill development, one side of the street has no houses because it is part of Howell. I was not aware there were Lakewood people living in Howell. How do they manage with schools when they live in another county?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with BY of Western Monmouth and some people sending to Shalom Torah Center and Deal... just never considered it.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:08 pm
what OP is trying to say is this: (I think) At the end of the day, most men living in Lakewood have at some point learned in BMG. They have a certain shared value system. Like any community.

You can't move to a small town and drive like a New Yorker.

Even if you don't care about social norms in your area, since you are using Lakewood schools you are going to have to conform to Lakewood standards on some level. Or you can send to the schools that will accept non conforming families. But you do have to deal with reality.

what I want to know is why OP is being so vague. Also does she know none of us are conforming since we are socializing online?

sourstix

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:16 pm
That means no one is conforming. Who's not online these days anyway?

Op you gotta stick in your head back in the conversation again. You need to clarify

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:20 pm
If you only post anonymously as imamother, you are semi-conforming. Twisted Evil

sourstix

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:26 pm
Ha! Whatever.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:45 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I know Lakewood is fully frum up to the Howell border. Even in the Brookhill development, one side of the street has no houses because it is part of Howell. I was not aware there were Lakewood people living in Howell. How do they manage with schools when they live in another county?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with BY of Western Monmouth and some people sending to Shalom Torah Center and Deal... just never considered it.

Why can't you send to a school in another county if you're not relying on the PS system?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:47 pm
cnc wrote:
Why can't you send to a school in another county if you're not relying on the PS system?

I'm guessing you will get neither busing nor aid in lieu.

sourstix

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:51 pm
Cnc welcome to Lakewood. Lakewood receives busing just like ps. And if you don't live in Lakewood being that Jewish schools are private it's way harder to get any. Even in Lakewood it's very hard to. There are very few Jews living in Howell and they are not welcome imagine getting busing from a county that already dislikes us. And if there are not enough people to fight it. It's a losing battle.

I hope I got it straight.

Anyway many schools are starting to have their own buses and will get aid in lieu.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:05 pm
cnc wrote:

Its also a far commute.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:05 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I'm guessing you will get neither busing nor aid in lieu.

That I understand, But what makes Brick or Howell different than Toms River (or Jackson?)
My friends all moved with the expectation that they'll be doing carpool.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:06 pm
sky wrote:
Its also a far commute.

Lol, my cousin in Lakewood that goes to high school in Howell spends the same amount of time or less than my kid does on the bus.

ETA: I guess you're right if they need to come into Lakewood proper every time they need to shop.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:10 pm
I live in Middlesex county and send to schools in Monmouth county. As long as it is less than 20 miles, we qualify for aid in lieu. County lines are irrelevant in this.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:25 pm
cnc wrote:
That I understand, But what makes Brick or Howell different than Toms River (or Jackson?)
My friends all moved with the expectation that they'll be doing carpool.

I grew up with carpools but school end time was much more streamlined. I have 4 kids in school with 3 different start times and 4 different end times. It makes carpooling very difficult.
If elementary school would have a single end time it would greatly simplify carpooling.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 4:23 pm
I'm thinking that pretty soon, Lakewood schools will have to switch to one dismissal time for just this reason.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 4:45 pm
cnc wrote:
Lol, my cousin in Lakewood that goes to high school in Howell spends the same amount of time or less than my kid does on the bus.

ETA: I guess you're right if they need to come into Lakewood proper every time they need to shop.

what school is in howell?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:16 pm
So all the peopl coming from Five Towns and Flatbush for a huge house and pool are in for a rude suprise when they move? Isnt schooling an issue for those people. Or will Toms River and Jackson always have a cooler crowd than Lakewood.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
what school is in howell?

Bais Leah

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
So all the peopl coming from Five Towns and Flatbush for a huge house and pool are in for a rude suprise when they move? Isnt schooling an issue for those people. Or will Toms River and Jackson always have a cooler crowd than Lakewood.

I don't think that people get rude surprises when they move. Most normal people do all the research and have things in place BEFORE they move...

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
It is "their" not "there".

It is "their" not "there."
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics