Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving to Toms River and Jackson is moving to LAKEWOOD!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:57 pm
Actually many of them do not have school age children, so they probably will be in for a bit of a rude awakening. I hope they will find otherwise.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:01 pm
"So all the peopl coming from Five Towns and Flatbush for a huge house and pool are in for a rude suprise when they move? Isnt schooling an issue for those people. Or will Toms River and Jackson always have a cooler crowd than Lakewood."

What exactly is your question? I am moving from Brooklyn so maybe I can help.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 7:14 pm
so we're a nice young family moving to jackson/toms river from brooklyn where we can afford a house. Yes we are getting a lot for our $ yes we did our research and we think the schools are excellent in lkwd!! That being said the application process was not easy at all and hurtful posts like these that are totally judgmental dont help. we are joining a community in one of the areas outside lkwd and love what we hear about it so no we are not moving into crowded lakewood and no we never learned at bmg (another yeshiva if thats ok) ... and actually some of the schools DO offer busing out of lkwd! those that dont the community is banding together and helping each other.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
It's they're not there.

It's 'they're'comma not 'there'.

Very Happy

Anyway, what exactly is the issue here? Aren't their plenty of people who have grown up in Lakewood now buying houses in Jackson because they cannot afford Lakewood? And if people from Brooklyn do the same, what is wrong with that? There are more and more schools opening up in Lakewood to contain their own kids KAH, would they specifically not accommodate children from the town next door? I could see schools opening in both nearby towns soon as well.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:09 pm
With regard to schools in Lakewood, where you live is not going to make the difference. A Jackson or Lakewood family has equal chance of getting in to the schools. The difference is the 'type' that you portray. If you are a Brooklyn family, moving here for cheap housing, but not trying to fit the Lakewood prototype - you may have difficulty getting into school. The street you live on, is not going to change anything. Even the less yeshivish schools in Lakewood are becoming more selective, and are trying to get a more yeshivish clientele. Basically, it is difficult in general to get into Lakewood schools. If you are moving further out, so that you will not need to conform to Lakewood standards, there is a strong chance that you will have very limited, or no school options.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:15 pm
amother wrote:
With regard to schools in Lakewood, where you live is not going to make the difference. A Jackson or Lakewood family has equal chance of getting in to the schools. The difference is the 'type' that you portray. If you are a Brooklyn family, moving here for cheap housing, but not trying to fit the Lakewood prototype - you may have difficulty getting into school. The street you live on, is not going to change anything. Even the less yeshivish schools in Lakewood are becoming more selective, and are trying to get a more yeshivish clientele. Basically, it is difficult in general to get into Lakewood schools. If you are moving further out, so that you will not need to conform to Lakewood standards, there is a strong chance that you will have very limited, or no school options.

why is there the assumption that if you're moving out of lakewood or from brooklyn that you are trying to NOT conform? maybe you want a affordable housing with a warm growing community ?? why is this about conformity? yes the schools are hard to get into because there are sooo many ppl vying for the same spots... is the process fair? no. but are the schools great, yes!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:17 pm
I could see schools opening in both nearby towns soon as well.[/quote]

At this point, it doesn't seem likely. A girls high school tried to buy a lot in Jackson, and the Jackson non jews went crazy. There were many township meetings and they did not let it go through.
In Tom's River, there was a Lubavitch program that was put through a major leagal battle.
Both of these instances were clearly anti-semetic. These towns clearly do not want yidden in their town and have strong fears that they will end up like Lakewood. For the time being, they will do anything in their power to prevent frum infrastructure within their townships.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
why is there the assumption that if you're moving out of lakewood or from brooklyn that you are trying to NOT conform? maybe you want a affordable housing with a warm growing community ?? why is this about conformity? yes the schools are hard to get into because there are sooo many ppl vying for the same spots... is the process fair? no. but are the schools great, yes!

That is exactly what I am saying. Moving to Jackson from Brooklyn is fine, and it should not change your chances of school acceptance.
It could be that you are unaware that there are many families moving here, who are coming strictly for cheap housing. They would never come here if the prices would be higher. They don't want to dress or act according to Lakewood standards, and are moving further out for that reason. All are welcome here. I am just forewarning these people, that in order to get into school here, you need to do as the Roman ' s do!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:37 pm
Has there been a boom in ppl from all over suddenly moving to Jackson/TR? werent these communities around for past few years? I thought only now has the Lakewood community started to move out. Wont all the people from Lakewood eventually move out there within next few years to get nicer houses for their money?

L K

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
I'm thinking that pretty soon, Lakewood schools will have to switch to one dismissal time for just this reason.

I wish!
It would also help if girls schools switched to normal Friday times.

Pre-busing turmoil they were 9-11:45 or so, and we thought that was bad.

Now they're open 9:15-11:15 on fridays, such a joke!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:
Has there been a boom in ppl from all over suddenly moving to Jackson/TR? werent these communities around for past few years? I thought only now has the Lakewood community started to move out. Wont all the people from Lakewood eventually move out there within next few years to get nicer houses for their money?

The housing market in Lakewood rose significantly in the past few years. That is why moving further out has become more popular recently. Many people want to live near the Yeshiva, schools, shopping etc. Many, myself included, actually enjoy development life. We have a wonderful crowd, large houses, rav, eiruv etc. There are also plenty of kids to play with. Another point is that there may be a lot of land in the properties in Jackson/TR, but the houses are often smaller, older, or just not built with a frum family in mind. They also do not allow legal basement rentals, that many in Lakewood rely on.
There are many hidden expenses in fixing up a preexisting home. Many prefer the brand new construction, built specifically for our lifestyle. This is not to say that many in cramped Lakewood homes will move out, but there are still hundreds of homes being built in Lakewood, and people seem to be grabbing them. There is actually an Expo coming up, to compare the different pros and cons of each Township. Each one has its maalos, but you need to know your needs before you make the decision.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
The housing market in Lakewood rose significantly in the past few years. That is why moving further out has become more popular recently. Many people want to live near the Yeshiva, schools, shopping etc. Many, myself included, actually enjoy development life. We have a wonderful crowd, large houses, rav, eiruv etc. There are also plenty of kids to play with. Another point is that there may be a lot of land in the properties in Jackson/TR, but the houses are often smaller, older, or just not built with a frum family in mind. They also do not allow legal basement rentals, that many in Lakewood rely on.
There are many hidden expenses in fixing up a preexisting home. Many prefer the brand new construction, built specifically for our lifestyle. This is not to say that many in cramped Lakewood homes will move out, but there are still hundreds of homes being built in Lakewood, and people seem to be grabbing them. There is actually an Expo coming up, to compare the different pros and cons of each Township. Each one has its maalos, but you need to know your needs before you make the decision.

And some people davka don't want to be landlords and have rentals in their basements.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
And some people davka don't want to be landlords and have rentals in their basements.

Exactly! The choices are out there. Everyone has different individual needs and wants. Hopefully everyone will find something that works for them.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:51 am
I dream of a single dismissal time per school, I hope it will happen one day. Even with busing multiple dismissal times a pain my kids each come home 30 minutes from the next which means I can't schedule appointments then or run errands during a 2+ hour time period. And Fridays are ridiculous.

keym

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:26 am
And I appreciate the staggered times as long as there's bussing. I like that they trickle in one or two at a time. I could give them each a little individual attention. Its so overwhelming when theyv all pile in at once and they all need me now!

Ilovemaryland

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:34 am
Can someone please explain to me why the families who are only movibg for cheap houses arent considering other parts of the country where everything is even cheaper and the schools are a lot nicer than what im reading here

Also will there come a time when sheer numbers will demand that schools for normal JPF be established in L/J. ??

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:41 am
Ilovemaryland wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why the families who are only movibg for cheap houses arent considering other parts of the country where everything is even cheaper and the schools are a lot nicer than what im reading here

Also will there come a time when sheer numbers will demand that schools for normal JPF be established in L/J. ??

People want to live in a particular community (or nearby) for lots of reasons. Proximity to family (Lakewood/Jackson is less than 2 hours away from NYC), availability of Kosher products, great shopping, etc....

Also, the schools are very nice...once you are in. And there definitely are JPF schools in Lakewood. What there is less of is schools that are a big healthy mix. I grew up in schools that weren't defined as yeshivish/JPF/more-to-the-right/more-to-the-left/heimishe etc...(invent your own labels here).....I went to schools that had it all - a mix - and liked that. I try to find that as much as possible here, as I consider it very healthy....it exists, but in a more limited way.....

sky

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:47 am
I wouldn't call Lakewood housing cheap.
Especially where most homes have a minimum 10K property tax.
So even if the mortgage is less 2000 per month. Property tax adds almost another 1K ore more per month.

But everything else is much cheaper then OOT. schools, food, etc. And many still commute to NY so they can keep a high salaried job while living on a cheaper scale. I think at the end of the day you come out ahead in Lakewood then you would in OOT cities.

estibesty

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:36 pm
Sorry I was being vague in my original post! What I was try to imply was that from what I have been seeing on some social media sites and Blogs and also my friend that works in Carpet store has told me is that some chasdish people moving to Toms River do not always reliaze they are moving to Lakewood. Toms River is lakewood if your frum. It's Lakewood schools Lakewood drs Lakewood grocerys Lakewood stores Lakewood people! Unless they are make there own new square type of town that's. 6 block radius w therenown everything but so far the chasdim that moved here are just move to regular Toms River blocks and are now part of Lakewood kehilla! Just wanted make sure they are aware bec some feedback I got was that they think Toms River was its own community

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:50 pm
I think that not realizing you are part of the bigger Lakewood community might be more prevelant among chasidish buyers who are buying in an "enclave" like Belz etc. Any non- chasidish buyer is looking into a variety of areas, researching the surrounding areas etc etc. Maybe I'm wrong.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics