Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which Boys Camp: Vien or Stolin? Camp Yeshiva?
1  2  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:44 pm
(Anon because I've been asking around.)

Pros and cons...please help me make up my mind and please share any info you have on either of the two camps.

DS will be 13. He is a serious learner bh but also loves sports and activities so I think he'll do well in either one and I really want to give him the best summer ever. It's his only year in a real sleepaway camp because after this he'll be in mesivta. He went to Krasna and Munkatch as a day camper several years ago and had a great time. Although some of the boys in his class were there for sleepaway, I was there often enough to know that I don't want him going there for sleepaway camp.

In Vien the crowd is more chassidish than we are, I think. Stolin is more our type and lots of Lakewood boys our type go there but ds is in a chassidish cheder so he'll fit in either camp, I think. I can't seem to get a handle on the chassidish crowd in Vien, more with-it? How chassidish? I know it changed a lot since I was a kid.

One major concern is finances. Stolin is significantly more expensive. If he goes to Vien we can swing an entire summer but Stolin we can only do half a summer. He has cheder for most of first half anyway so I'm not worried about keeping him busy when he's not in camp. The question is: a full summer in Vien where I don't know much about the crowd (and what he'll be exposed to?) or a half summer in Stolin for the same $ (more our type but no guarantees, obviously). The mother of a very chassidish boy in his class told me her nephew went to Stolin and he is a problematic child so they must accept everyone and therefore I should stay away. I don't quite know what to make of that since we are hearing the opposite from so many people.

I really want what's best for him and I know money shouldn't be a factor in chinuch and all that but it is something to think about. Also, in Vien we have pull so he's already been accepted. Stolin I heard is hard to get into but I see no reason he shouldn't get in, provided we apply in time. There's also a non-refundable deposit at both places if we change our minds.

We also heard that Stolin has a reputation for being the most fun camp and we really want to give him a good time but the question is how much more fun than Vien and is it worth the $? Should the crowd matter that much? What type of kids go to Vien?

One last thing: Someone mentioned Camp Yeshiva (Chasan Sofer's camp) but we know nothing about it. If you have any info please post.

Thanks for your input.

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:57 pm
Don't know much about the sleepaway camps for this age but just wanted to comment that Stolin certainly doesn't accept everyone and it can be difficult to get in.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:05 pm
Stolin is the hardest system to get into. They are very choosy. Very fine and great families. This is a mosdos I literally drool over to get my kids in. The hardest to get in. You'll never regret sending there. Vine is not the same as stolin at all. Vine is closer to krasne. But even more with it.

Do I get an opinion even though I recently moved away? I don't think it changed in such a short time.

Ok munkatch is more like vine then krasne. Stolin tops all of those plus most yeshivas in my opinion. Ok, jmho.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:12 pm
sourstix wrote:
Stolin is the hardest system to get into. They are very choosy. Very fine and great families. This is a mosdos I literally drool over to get my kids in. The hardest to get in. You'll never regret sending there. Vine is not the same as stolin at all. Vine is closer to krasne. But even more with it.

Do I get an opinion even though I recently moved away? I don't think it changed in such a short time.

Ok munkatch is more like vine then krasne. Stolin tops all of those plus most yeshivas in my opinion. Ok, jmho.

Yes, you get an opinion!

Thank you both for responding. I know the school in BP is hard to get into but is the boys camp also like that?

Also, is it worth only 1/2 summer rather than Vien full summer? If the crowd in Vien is more with-it than Krasna than it doesn't sound like the place for us...

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:16 pm
Look I never applied to their camp. I just assuming their camp is run with the same type of people and system.

If your with it and it's gonna be aukward for your son why would you think oof it to begin with? Stolin is very very simple families with gashmius on a low level. It's kind of like the real yeshivish type know what I mean? Krasne and vien is so different then them. I think you understand what I mean

You need to put him where his type is.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:18 pm
The vien I know is with it. Even krasne is less so. Munkatch is like vien. Get the drift?

Krasne
Vien
Munkatch
All are trying very hard to become more chasidish. Krasne being the most.

Stolin is a different breed. If you know any stoliners you would understand

Last edited by sourstix on Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:18 pm
Stolin and Camp Yeshiva are both great places. The boys have a blast in both.

The boys I know who went to Stolin are more yeshivish, the boys I know who went to Camp Yeshiva are more heimish/balebatish, but they're both great places.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:23 pm
Op is more chasidish then that. If your ds wears a Bieber hat. Then you need to put him in that type of crowd. Is your ds English speaking? Or it's a second language? These types of things tell you where to go.

I learned this over the years.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:57 pm
Honestly, if you haven't already applied to stolin, it might be already late.. the camp is amazing! If you know anyone who went to camp stolin, ask for the DVD and you can see for yourself. It is English speaking/learning and very yeshivish. Wonderful rebbeim and counselors. My boys talk about it the entire year!

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:59 pm
sourstix wrote:
Op is more chasidish then that. If your ds wears a Bieber hat. Then you need to put him in that type of crowd. Is your ds English speaking? Or it's a second language? These types of things tell you where to go.

I learned this over the years.

True. My son had one boy in his bunk with a beaver? Hat and he didn't fit in so well.

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 3:04 pm
I'll give you my information from around 10-15 years ago. I don't know how it still is, but I have reason to believe that it hasn't changed that much.

The Stolin camp is way more "on the program" and geshmak than the yeshiva . My brother went to the camp and my family would never fit into the rest of the mosdos.
The yeshiva and school are very very simple and Farfrumt. The camp is nothing like that. (Don't get me wrong, it's not very very with-it , but there are quite a few outsiders) .

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 3:07 pm
sourstix wrote:
The vien I know is with it. Even krasne is less so. Munkatch is like vien. Get the drift?

Krasne
Vien
Munkatch
All are trying very hard to become more chasidish. Krasne being the most.

Stolin is a different breed. If you know any stoliners you would understand

No offense- but I think your observations are totally off.
Krasna and Munkatch are extremely similar.
I have kids in one and looked into both. Furthermore, I know many people that send kids to both because they sort of cater to different ages.

I always assumed that Vien is just more Heimish Chassidish than the other places. Not necessarily more with- it.

There are plenty of kids in the other two places that are very with it and Chassidish at the same time. (Long peyos but interesting dress code ...)

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:21 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses. Sourstix, our family is what people describe as chassidish-yeshivish, or simple chassidish. DH and DS are serious chassidish, wear the levush, up hat with "lange reckle" and their payos are knotted up behind their ears, but we would never feel comfortable living in developments like Sterling Forest or Harvard because we don't have the means or the clothes. DH is the type that wears his hat at every meal and wouldn't go out without his reckle. I'm assuming DS will be the same way. I'm not sure I'm articulating this clearly. DS is in a chassidish cheder in Lakewood and my DDs are in a chassidish school but the crowd is mostly simple people, with some exceptions obviously. First language is English and my kids b"h have a rich English vocabulary so I'm not worried about that. DS had a litvish rebbe one year and kept up with the litvish Yiddish so that's fine. DH is sending him to a mainstream mesivta, known to be a very serious place but definitely has a nice handful of chassidish boys from sincere families. DD goes to a simple mainstream Bais Yaakov camp.

Based on the info here, DH said it doesn't hurt to apply so I called for an application. If it's not bashert he'll go to Vien.

Thank you everyone.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 6:21 pm
I have sent my boys to camp yeshiva, and now I'm sending my third son. we are chasidish. uphat, suit type. the camp is mixed. I never felt that it was fancy, or at least I didn't feel any pressure. before camp I go to wal mart and buy whatever they need, no fancy labels etc...

about the camp, the learning is serious, the sports program is amazing! my boys love it, and talk about it all year long!!!
The reason I didnt send to stolin, even though it was an option, is because I heard from more than one person, some scary stories about counselers..... I wasnt willing to take the chance.
In camp yeshiva they are very on top of things, I always felt that I had who to talk to if there was any issue.
goood luck!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
I have sent my boys to camp yeshiva, and now I'm sending my third son. we are chasidish. uphat, suit type. the camp is mixed. I never felt that it was fancy, or at least I didn't feel any pressure. before camp I go to wal mart and buy whatever they need, no fancy labels etc...

about the camp, the learning is serious, the sports program is amazing! my boys love it, and talk about it all year long!!!
The reason I didnt send to stolin, even though it was an option, is because I heard from more than one person, some scary stories about counselers..... I wasnt willing to take the chance.
In camp yeshiva they are very on top of things, I always felt that I had who to talk to if there was any issue.
goood luck!

Yikes, please share what you heard about Stolin. If you're not comfortable posting, can you set up an email address and I'll get in touch with you that way?

May I have the number for Camp Yeshiva?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
Yikes, please share what you heard about Stolin. If you're not comfortable posting, can you set up an email address and I'll get in touch with you that way?

May I have the number for Camp Yeshiva?

Yes, please do tell. We send to stolin for years and I would love to hear what you know

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 4:07 pm
Hi I have the exact same question as the op had. My son wants to go to camp and it’s first time sending and not familiar with camps. I keep hearing about Stolin,Camp Yeshiva,and Vien.
Just wandering where you ended up sending and how it was. Or any other comments or suggestions to help me decide. Thanks

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:

goood luck!

The camp director that Vien had 2 yrs ago is a molester. How I know? First hand Crying

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 4:32 pm
Vien accepts boys from many Yeshivas. They have the boys from Vien Williamsburg.

Many Boro park yeshivas don’t have their own camp so they go to Vien, for example, spinka, darchei Chaim, tiferes Yisroel viznitz, and I think the more chassdishe boys from Vien Boro park. Definitely more chassidish crowd.

They give them an AMAZING time and have plenty of activities, trips....

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
Vien accepts boys from many Yeshivas. They have the boys from Vien Williamsburg.

Many Boro park yeshivas don’t have their own camp so they go to Vien, for example, spinka, darchei Chaim, tiferes Yisroel viznitz, and I think the more chassdishe boys from Vien Boro park. Definitely more chassidish crowd.

They give them an AMAZING time and have plenty of activities, trips....

Ditto to that. Vein is a great camp but regular chasidish crowd. Stolin is more open minded and has an excellent name! Camp Yeshiva has kids from all types of homes. I'd suggest that you first apply to all 3 and take it from there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics