Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What does Passaic look like?

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:25 am
I know this might sound like a funny question. We are considering moving to passaic. We've never been there but from what we've heard it would probably be a good fit.

We are planning a trip to go visit, but in the meantime, I've been doing my snooping on google maps. perhaps I'm looking on the wrong streets, but I don't see much grass/lawns. I don't need big fancy lawns, but I do need a little something.

For a young kollel/chinuch family with 4 young kids- what streets would I be interested in?

I will call agents closer to my visit, but for now I just need to look around google maps/ zillow etc...

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:31 am
Some parts of Passaic (ie most of the more "yeshivish" parts) are realllllly ugly.

Clifton has more grass and land etc but Passaic proper doesn't really.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:08 am
Clifton is definitely newer and prettier, but I wouldn't call Passaic "reallllly ugly." Passaic will likely be more comfortable if you're a kollel/chinuch family. The houses there are much bigger than in Clifton, but they're also older. The best thing is to speak to a frum realtor there who knows the areas, and to come visit both areas to see where you'd feel most comfortable in terms of both ruchnius and gashmius.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:42 am
Yes most of Passaic is ugly Smile but I'm happy here.
Are you moving for a specific kollel because some of them require you to daven in their location which would limit where you can move. if you're not tied down try looking on the 'other side of main' park avenue and spring st area anywhere from van Houten to Rutherford blvd (this street is Clifton if you're looking on a map). Terhune, south parkway and Rutherford blvd will be slightly nicer than the streets on the other side of brook.
If you don't have a realtor yet, try dwell realty 973-542-8333 they sell a lot of the houses in that area. I would call now even if you don't plan on visiting for a while. They can help you figure out where to look so you can research more effectively.

Inspire

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 11:39 am
there is a large park in Passaic, lots of green space & playgrounds + lake, it is used by the frum residents mostly on Shabbos/Yomtov.

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:37 pm
Thanks!

At the moment I am holding off on calling realtors, but I will sometime in the near future- thank you for the number!

Can you just give me the name of a few streets that are close to some of the kollels?
(it's not for practical buying, it's really just so I can get an idea of what the area looks like)

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:42 pm
Propertywise it looks similar to Baltimore and its out towny yeshivish.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks!

At the moment I am holding off on calling realtors, but I will sometime in the near future- thank you for the number!

Can you just give me the name of a few streets that are close to some of the kollels?
(it's not for practical buying, it's really just so I can get an idea of what the area looks like)

Which ones they're in different areas. Are you moving for a kollle or a chinuch position. There are kolllel type families all over the area I described and many others spread out across Passaic. They don't live on the same few blocks. Most blocks are a mix of kollel, chinuch with the majority working.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:24 pm
My SIL lives there, her husband is a rosh kollel so very kollel/chinuch type. They live on Marrietta Way, but that's the only street that I know there. The houses and properties are tiny and its not very pretty but it is a very nice community! It does actually remind me of Baltimore, like someone said, although I think Baltimore looks a little nicer, but the openess and warmness is the same (in Passaic there is a slightly bigger in town crowd)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating